Wizard/Comet

lofty1966

Hi, same here, had a note from Andrew to say he'd posted my goodies on the 17th of December and they arrived on the day before Christmas Eve.

Can't get better service than that to Australia!

Altogether a very good start from the Wizard / Comet Models stable!

Best wishes from down under (39degress tomorrow)

Cheers

Ray K

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

May I just do a heads up for Andrew at Wizard. He is doing the Comet Brand proud and Geoff will be 'looking on' and he will be so pleased.

I've ordered two lots of Comet stuff in the last few weeks and the service is just great.

Phil 

• Like 3

I might just add a small note to the above.  My Comet Caprotti kit was missing some parts (lubricators, sand fillers) and Andrew sent spares within a week or so of receiving the stock.  This was much appreciated as there can always be concerns when a business changes hands.

I have a Bachmann Robinson 04 chassis and tender in a 31-002  63635 BR black early emblem box from Geoff's. Is that the one?

No, at his last show appearance, Geoff showed me a test etch / part-completed Comet chassis to fit under the Bachmann O4 body. It was almost ready-to-go. The last I heard was that his son was trying to find where he'd put it so that the designs could be handed over to Andrew at Wizard.

It all went quiet after that.....

• RMweb Gold

So having found the donor chassis, I'll see if I can find 63635 body in the loft and see if the test etch is with it. Mind you, I have been through most areas and boxes............

I might just add a small note to the above.  My Comet Caprotti kit was missing some parts (lubricators, sand fillers) and Andrew sent spares within a week or so of receiving the stock.  This was much appreciated as there can always be concerns when a business changes hands.

Out of interest Paul, does Caprotti kit include a 'springing ready' style chassis?

So having found the donor chassis, I'll see if I can find 63635 body in the loft and see if the test etch is with it. Mind you, I have been through most areas and boxes............

If it helps, the test chassis was in a white plastic tub with the loco body.....

....does Caprotti kit include a 'springing ready' style chassis?

Yes. Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

If it helps, the test chassis was in a white plastic tub with the loco body.....

Yes.

I definitely don't have it here, so it'll be sometime after Easter before I get a chance to extend the search. Must get to York show sometime soon............

My point is that I bought the kit some time ago along with the Comet hornblocks and the instructions do not include this type of springing. The frames are different in design to, say the Royal Scot chassis, which I have sprung.

The LWB chassis out of the Caprotti kit hasn't changed since it was released. I bought one soon after it was released, and the frames are definitely designed with Brassmasters bearings and coil springs in mind.

That's not the way I built it; I used the Dave Bradwell system of independent leaf springs.

The LWB chassis out of the Caprotti kit hasn't changed since it was released. I bought one soon after it was released, and the frames are definitely designed with Brassmasters bearings and coil springs in mind.

That's not the way I built it; I used the Dave Bradwell system of independent leaf springs

I thought, and I may well be wrong, that the Caprotti kit came out before the Comet chassis' started being designed with the tab for the Brassmasters style spring above the 6mm hornguide.  I don't yet own one though, so will happy accept it if they are included!

I thought, and I may well be wrong, that the Caprotti kit came out before the Comet chassis' started being designed with the tab for the Brassmasters style spring above the 6mm hornguide.  I don't yet own one though, so will happy accept it if they are included!

The Caprotti kit was the first one to have the coil spring set-up designed in. That's why I bought the chassis from it.

• 2 months later...

A quick good word for Andrew and Wizard.  I sent an email this morning asking if he could send me a pdf file of the Royal Scot body instructions as I have mislaid mine.  Within two hours I got one.  That's good service!

Too often good service goes unnoticed.  Thank you, Wizard!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Apparently the Robinson 2-8-0 chassis that Geoff had been working on has been unearthed, so let's see if Andrew is able to finish it off....

Do steady on, he hasn't got it yet - it is still in my house!

Do steady on, he hasn't got it yet - it is still in my house!

Aha, but it won't be there for too much longer, though! The other thing I forgot to ask is if, somewhere amongst the computer files / paperwork, the design artwork for it might be waiting to be discovered? Or maybe that's already with the etchers?

The phrase Wizard/Comet is a bit long winded, how about WizCo?

Better get a move on and register it, then! There's already a Fudco.

Edited by Horsetan