I'm writing this at 12.50pm after convincing myself I should just suck it in and start. So much else on RMweb is of such high quality that I find it challenging, to say the least. But everyone must start somewhere.

Below there is a very poor photograph - and I'm not being modest! - which shows an overall view of about a third of the layout. Nothing in this picture is finished, it's all basically a mock-up. For example, the Bilteezi and Superquick low reliefs in the distance were placed there to help me envisage the space at the rear. Similarly, the Lesney Girder Bridge in the foreground is a space-keeper for a final construct. I'll describe it later. The adrenaline rush has left me flagging! lol

Regards,

Hal.

post-21358-0-10545100-1419970178_thumb.jpg

Looks top notch!! 

Dave

Thanks, Dave. Flattery is exactly what I need!

There's loads I need to learn about presenting a thread (never mind the modelling!) but I decided that if I was ever to get started I had to forget all the reasons "why not."

You've helped me feel relieved that I've taken the plunge. 

Regards,

Hal

Was it a dream? When I woke this morning I wondered!

But no, I was relieved to find I'd finally got the guts. And to find such support in such a short space of time... guys, I'm overwhelmed. And as I said to Dave, it is exactly what I needed. :)

More L8r (as the young text)

Hal.

Looks great

I think a lot of people find it a bit daughnting showing there layouts first off I did with my last layout ,but you'll soon get the hang of it and make friends ,get good advice on anything you can think of

Looking forword to more pictures and progress

Brian

Welcome aboard the good ship RMWeb, your layout looks great.

As a fellow north easterner, I remember 'Hal o' the Wynd' very well. Used to be a regular at Gateshead.

I don't have a pic of 60116 but here's one of 60118 'Archibald Sturrock' at Newcastle Central.

post-7898-0-32837500-1419849427_thumb.jpg

Mal

.post-21358-0-91123300-1420201516_thumb.jpg

Being a useless no-longer-young person, who is not PC savvy, I thought I'd sorted to photo re-sizing but I aint. 

I'm not shy, though (and I've been busy with this one image ALL DAY!) So, up it goes and I'll address it later.

EDIT Later, I've kind of got it, but how do I achieve a larger post-image (before clicking) and still keep it under 1MB?

I'll get back to the topic this evening. This *size image will do for the moment...  Hmmmm. I'll remove this text and address the Bridge issue. Photographically, it is meant to be in silhouette as part of the forthcoming information.

All this'll have to do for later, Ron

(TEARING HAIR OUT!)

Hal.

EDIT: *Couldn't resist resizing this one now that this particular issue is sorted. ;)

Your lucky, I've none left to tear out, :O  but a great start to a good looking and interesting thread, cant wait to see a track plan, room size and its location, i.e. loft, shed, Garage etc.

Pics look good so far so don't worry, you will get loads of support on here.

All the best.

Looks great

I think a lot of people find it a bit daughnting showing there layouts first off I did with my last layout ,but you'll soon get the hang of it and make friends ,get good advice on anything you can think of

Looking forword to more pictures and progress

Brian

Thanks Brian,

Trouble is, you spend so long looking at your layout  -day in, day out - that you cease to see any virtues it might have, but only the faults. But even seeing the images up on RMweb - and all the support I'm enjoying - helps to see it with a fresh eye; it re-kindles enthusiasm.

Cheers mate,

Hal.

Welcome aboard the good ship RMWeb, your layout looks great.

As a fellow north easterner, I remember 'Hal o' the Wynd' very well. Used to be a regular at Gateshead.

I don't have a pic of 60116 but here's one of 60118 'Archibald Sturrock' at Newcastle Central.

attachicon.gif60118 'Archibald Sturrock' at N'cle Central 1965.jpg

Mal

Thanks Mal,

Before even looking at your work, your name is suggestive of a Blyth relationship, HMS Alcan,as it was known along the coast.

Thanks for the picture of Archibald Sturrock - it's not a loco I have a photo of so I'm particularly grateful. Given the date I'd love to know what it was hauling; as you know, more and more A Classes went to Goods. But I have an A2 somewhere (my files are a mess!) - can't see number, but it's captioned as hauling a Newcastle to Berwick. Hell's teeth! - that's almost round the doors! lol

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to checking out your work, hopefully this evening, depending upon emergency calls ;)

Cheers,

Hal.

Hey, Tynemouth,  many a day spend on the "Long Sand's", as a kid,growing up in Howdon.

Ok, I get the Scotswood Road, title,  fill us in on the rest of the layout description.

Depicts, Scotswood Rd Bridge ?

post-21358-0-39194900-1419814514_thumb.j

Hi David,

Talk about a small world! - I've admired your work for ages during my lurk, and would never have guessed you were local.

But I've caught you out. Look at the title again...  its SCOTSWARD ROAD.

- But actually that’s the point. Phonetically it sounds like Scotswood Road, famous part of the Geordie boozing-ballad: “Blaydon Races.” I chose it because; to me at least, it has a ring to it that give it a Newcastle local, and also sounds of Sir Walter Scott – of Ivanhoe fame – and, most importantly, author of Hal ‘o the Wynd. Furthermore, geographically, it kind of describes the ECML – “Scotsward Ho!” in Sir Walter’s terms. And my layout is a FANTASY! – and I cant stress that enough. A newcomer to the hobby might think my stuff is spot-on ECML  in the 60’s, and they couldn't be more wrong. There are many areas where I diverge to suit myself as will be obvious in the future. I try to limit myself to things that were possible and not to play silly games. But be aware of the BO – Bull-Ox Warning – with which I try and underline my personal fantasy so folk always know when I'm taking liberties.

The nominal location is North of Newcastle. In 1924 the LNER planned to quadruple the line as far as Forest Hall. It came to nothing but my layout figures that it did and is rather in the region of Byker. Remember, Heaton was a junction. It looks like four-track mainline but it's really the coastal loop up/down with the ECML up and down running parallel. My layout IS four-track mainline,  the centre two lines being fast up/down, and the outer lines being slow/goods/local.

Forgive me, David I'm required within the Dragons Lair (the wife just yelled ;) )

Regards,

Hal.

If you get stuck in the wee small hour's and the domestic list , is exhaustively completed.

You can find here, most of the items of interest,when first launching into this, website...........

Commit it all to memory, a'fore you awake,as it will keep you on a true and fine course,through the passage,of your voyage.

Forum Rules, Notices, Faults & Help

Your lucky, I've none left to tear out, :O  but a great start to a good looking and interesting thread, cant wait to see a track plan, room size and its location, i.e. loft, shed, Garage etc.

Pics look good so far so don't worry, you will get loads of support on here.

All the best.

Thanks Andy,

As I've lurked I've noticed how you support so many folk in all different areas. I admire this intensely. Already I know how much better it feels to have such support, how it picks you up when you might be in a creative rut. So, thank you. I really do appreciate it.

Regards,

Hal.

Well, I'm wrecked! Primarily as a result of my profound PC image-related ignorance, etc. I was doing so many silly things wrong, either pixel or percentage-wise, trying to get close to the 1MB max. 

Anyway, I did make some progress, but have not described my layout as I'd planned. Tomorrow, hopefully.

Thanks Everyone,

Hal. 

Hi Hal,

Great lookng layout !

For photos I resize to 1600x800 using Paint.net and then use the 'Reply with attachments' option to embed the images where required within the text.

Stu

That was very useful, Stu. Thanks. I've been spoiled rotten with so much support. It's very up-lifting.

Regards,

Hal.

Well, I'm wrecked! Primarily as a result of my profound PC image-related ignorance, etc. I was doing so many silly things wrong, either pixel or percentage-wise, trying to get close to the 1MB max. 

Anyway, I did make some progress, but have not described my layout as I'd planned. Tomorrow, hopefully.

Thanks Everyone,

Hal. 

You made a good start, don't get put off............

One way I get photos to 1MB is to email myself the picture I want and you get to choose what size you can send it so send it at 1 MB

when you receive it it'll be to the right size just copy to desktop from email

then you can add it to a post

Brian.

You made a good start, don't get put off............

Thanks, David. I won't. My trouble is, having been  modestly successful in the Art and Illustrative world, and in other modelling disciplines - military and fantasy - I'd convinced myself that I had to start with a decent piece of modelling as some others have done. Realising - as you now understand - that it was never going to happen, I sucked it in and presented my layout as it is. I wish I'd done that long ago. I don't kid myself that it'll be easy. There'll doubtless be occasions when much longer time than I'd like passes between posts, but now my layout is out there, I can live with that. Many professional people with demanding workloads suffer from the same.

I actually live on the border of Tynemouth and 'Shields, near Northumberland Park. I love the area I live in and wouldn't swop it for anywhere. (Well, Dover, maybe ;) )

Thanks for the support David. I value it more than you can know. :)

Regards,

'Hal.

One way I get photos to 1MB is to email myself the picture I want and you get to choose what size you can send it so send it at 1 MB

when you receive it it'll be to the right size just copy to desktop from email

then you can add it to a post

Brian.

Thanks Brian - I'd never have thought of that in a million years! - Brilliant! Gotta give it a go.

Hal.

Your pic of the green class 40 (or D200s as we called them back in the day) reminded me of this pic of our school excursion to Windermere in 1966 hauled by a class 40.

The loco is approaching Newsham station, having already picked up scholars at Bebside. As the train would then proceed to join the ECML at Benton Junction, not far away from Scotsward Road, this gives you a nice excuse to run a school excursion on your layout!

post-7898-0-95569900-1419968976_thumb.jpg

Mal

Archived