Your pic of the green class 40 (or D200s as we called them back in the day) reminded me of this pic of our school excursion to Windermere in 1966 hauled by a class 40.

The loco is approaching Newsham station, having already picked up scholars at Bebside. As the train would then proceed to join the ECML at Benton Junction, not far away from Scotsward Road, this gives you a nice excuse to run a school excursion on your layout!

attachicon.gifClass 40 approaching Newsham 1966.jpg

Mal

Love it, Mal, just the sort of info I really value. I would never have guessed it. Can I ask what school(s) and how it was organised? I'm completely flabbergasted to be honest. LOL

EDIT I'm currently re-sizing my images at long last!

Hal.

Finally got it - Blaydon Races!  Remember I have been in Canada for about 45 years.

Nearly but not quite. I used the Scotswood Road of Blaydon Races and changed it to Scotsward Road for my model, as in "Westward Ho!"  but in my case as a description of the ECML. Phonetically, its worked on you and many others, linking it to Newcastle, so I'm pleased. 

Hal.

Love it, Mal, just the sort of info I really value. I would never have guessed it. Can I ask what school(s) and how it was organised? I'm completely flabbergasted to be honest. LOL

EDIT I'm currently re-sizing my images at long last!

Hal.

I attended Newlands Sec Modern and the school excursion by rail was an annual event. When the Blyth and Tyne stations closed in 1964, the school continued to charter a train using Newsham station. One of our teachers was a rail enthusiast, perhaps he lnfluecned the decision. In 1965 we went to Edinburgh, he organised a tour of the sheds, while the other kids went to the zoo!

I attended Newlands Sec Modern and the school excursion by rail was an annual event. When the Blyth and Tyne stations closed in 1964, the school continued to charter a train using Newsham station. One of our teachers was a rail enthusiast, perhaps he lnfluecned the decision. In 1965 we went to Edinburgh, he organised a tour of the sheds, while the other kids went to the zoo!

I had the misfortune to pass the eleven-plus and ended up in a Newcastle Grammar School. Unfortunate because my pass was a fluke and I never was an academic. Anyway, we didn't have that much good fortune. Sounds exactly how school trips should be. :)

Hal.

EDIT. BTW, I hated 40s when I was a kid. I remember being stuck on a crowded platform at Manors East when a new one went by. So damn plain and ugly, with that dreadful whistling racket. Now  I love 'em! lol

This looks interesting...

If you need help resizing photos I'm happy to try and help, I'm only a couple of junctions up the A19.

Norm.

Hi Norm, 

I've got the resizing sorted at last, but I'm totally non-savvy PC wise and so arthritic that everything's become a challenge. I've had a quick look a Slade Lane - brilliant baseboard design, BTW - but fear that slow progress might be something we have in common. In fact it was the main thing that put me off starting a thread. But then I considered there are loads of people on RMweb who have time issues, often to do with busy and demanding careers, so I thought I'd I'd suck it in and see how I goes.

Anyway, thanks for the offer - you may well live to regret it!  lol ;)

Hal.

post-21358-0-09176700-1419989605_thumb.jpg

Now I have the image issue sorted out, I've re-posted this shot of the bridge. It's not a portrait of the Class 40 - I'd have chosen one of my other ones with a more interesting nose - Mauritania is newer and needs the discs applied - no it's a view of the bridge in silhouette profile. I've decided that finishing the Bridge will be my first on line project. The sections shown are Lesney products. I was very fortunate to buy half a dozen of them second hand, for next to nowt. In my opinion they are the best of their kind ever produced by Triang/Hornby or anyone else. They are certainly superior in mass and detail over the Dapol product, but they do need modifications in structure to look more real.

So there we go. Time will tell. Although I must confess - as mentioned in my last post to Norm - free time is rationed by health issues, none  of which I'll bore you with. Hell, we come to RMweb to escape that stuff! ;)

Regards,

Hal.

Looks an interesting layout, is it roundy roundy or a terminus? looking at your photos I cant work out if the line goes through the wall at the far end (under the brick arch bridge) or curves round or meets a mirror?.

I like the class 40 photo just focusing on the cab of the class 40 seems to remind me of standing on a platform end in the pouring rain with the cab light on waiting for a driver to come and take the train forward ....I think its the way the light is catching the windows... very nice....

More photos we like photos :imsohappy:

Steve

Hi Norm, 

I've got the resizing sorted at last, but I'm totally non-savvy PC wise and so arthritic that everything's become a challenge. I've had a quick look a Slade Lane - brilliant baseboard design, BTW - but fear that slow progress might be something we have in common. In fact it was the main thing that put me off starting a thread. But then I considered there are loads of people on RMweb who have time issues, often to do with busy and demanding careers, so I thought I'd I'd suck it in and see how I goes.

Anyway, thanks for the offer - you may well live to regret it!  lol ;)

Hal.

Moorings........H.

1. Good.

2.  As to P.C. savvy,  am sure one of us is around, just P.M or ring, if you are stuck,  it's only a case of , methodology , once you get the hang, you will be away.

3. Don't be shy in asking Q's, no matter how stupid,it may seem, if ya don't ask,..well.....?

4. So, when you get time, give us the background thinking,into the layout,you have developed, most are local,"connection's", I feel.

Looks an interesting layout, is it roundy roundy or a terminus? looking at your photos I cant work out if the line goes through the wall at the far end (under the brick arch bridge) or curves round or meets a mirror?.

I like the class 40 photo just focusing on the cab of the class 40 seems to remind me of standing on a platform end in the pouring rain with the cab light on waiting for a driver to come and take the train forward ....I think its the way the light is catching the windows... very nice....

More photos we like photos :imsohappy:

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Guys, if you aren't familiar with Steve's work have a butchers. Wonderful - artistically creative - exactly my cup of tea. Really, the sort of layout I should be doing rather than be weighed down by a room full of track.

Steve, David Todd's remarks are most valid, and he's someone else who's jaw-dropping layout deserves your attention - talk about photo-realism! .But he's right. Also Andrew P - bless 'im - asked for the same.  I'm getting ahead of myself - a bad idea. This is my first thread on a RM forum so it's a learning curve. I need to start from the beginning with the whys and wherefores.

EDIT: I don't know if you'll catch this edit ( I don't know how modified edits work re the original post) but I should at least have mentioned it's a roundy roundy. If you blow the pic up you can just see, beyond the bridge, the remains of the ten coaches behind the A1, curving to the left, below the window.

Worst of all, Steve, I omitted to thank you for your remarks on the picture - and that is precisely the sort of reply I like most! :O  (I've cropped the picture later on, largely on the strength of your comment; I thought a bit of a trimming might make it more effective.)

Regards to all,

Hal. 

An emergency has taken place. This will happen from time to time.

But this is a good one!

I've just received Gordon Gravett's "Modelling Grassland and Landscape Detailing" published by Wild Swan. We all have loads of books, a lot of which we don't look back on much; they tend to be repetitive of work we've come across before. But not this one!

At twenty-five quid it's not cheap, but worth every penny. I'll be all over it for the next few hours - in between the Dragon's chores. But it's made me think about an interlude... Later Ron.

Hal.  

Moorings........H.

1. Good.

2.  As to P.C. savvy,  am sure one of us is around, just P.M or ring, if you are stuck,  it's only a case of , methodology , once you get the hang, you will be away.

3. Don't be shy in asking Q's, no matter how stupid,it may seem, if ya don't ask,..well.....?

4. So, when you get time, give us the background thinking,into the layout,you have developed, most are local,"connection's", I feel.

Hi David, 

As I've said in my last post to Steve, you are dead right on all counts. I need to draw a track-plan (something I've been putting off, but would have relished once upon a time) And lay out  the layout. This will take time. :)

Hal.

- Also, I've an important letter to write to my employer... ;)

post-21358-0-07256400-1420039397_thumb.jpg

Upon reflection, NewYears Eve is not a good time to launch my Book Club Interlude.

So, typical of me, a typical little bit of the layout - typically uncompleted work: Scalescene Garage and Skaledale Terraces. I thought the latter might be useful place-keepers, with a dash of paint. WRONG! The molding is so shallow that after a wash the brickwork is poor to pick out. Even so, I like them better than their garish originals. But the damn bright white windows will have to go! :butcher:  Similarly, the Scalescene garage displays cocked-up scribing, done when I was tired and lacking concentration. It will have to be replaced.

The trouble is it's a large layout and I've little time, so I fell into the bad habit of popping up bits here and there to try and get something of a picture. The image that I started the thread with is a bit of a con. Trains in the way kid on that there are platforms there, there aren't. I badly need some self-discipline and that's what I'm hoping for from this thread; that I'll be forced to finish things a bit at a time, no matter how long it takes.

Meanwhile - 

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Hal 'n Co   

- And I know the posters are fifties not sixties ;)

PS: Question, the emoticons are alive in *editor* but die into "code" as soon as I post. Why?

EDIT: Is it because they should be in code in the editor then visual as displayed? I shall try it. 

L8r. Nope. the butcher appeared at once but the wink stayed as I'd entered it. Now both are gone. Computers!!!

EDIT: 3rd January 2015. Ah well, my heart was in the greeting anyway. :( I really must make something!

Up all night for all the wrong reasons. Don't grow old, guys, OK?

And a quick view of another thing that's sorted. I know it'll be baby-stuff to most of you, but for me it's another mountain climbed. ;)

I couldn't crop my images in *paint* cos it was still too big, even after reduction to under one MB. But the *gallery edit" which I avoid 'cos it takes so long to load my zillions of images, allowed me to do so. The only downside is it doesn't save the original. But that was OK, for once I had the sense to keep a copy. "Oh the learning curve!" The image is still rubbish photographically but I quite like the layout... (edit: of the photograph!) Steve-e was kind enough to say it had some "rainy-day" atmosphere. That makes me just about as content as I ever can be.

post-21358-0-93608200-1420111833_thumb.jpg

For what it's worth the original is in post 9

Hal.

EDIT: Ok, who didn't spot the A2 parked rail-less in between the 16  tonners? (I didn't! lol :O )

The trouble is it's a large layout and I've little time, so I fell into the bad habit of popping up bits here and there to try and get something of a picture. The image that I started the thread with is a bit of a con. Trains in the way kid on that there are platforms there, there aren't. I badly need some self-discipline and that's what I'm hoping for from this thread; that I'll be forced to finish things a bit at a time, no matter how long it takes.

Best thing I find is to break the layout into chunks not literally but scenic wise and concentrate on one block even put some tape on the edge of the base board where your working too :paint: I find this best if you have smaller chunks of time, smaller chunk of time, smaller area to work on...simples....

Ok still run your trains but don’t get distracted by what’s the other side of the fence (or tape).

Then take some photos of what you've done ,as digital photos are great for spotting what your eyes miss (at least they are for me) :blind: . Then when your satisfied show us the results :friends:  and move to the other side of the fence and start over again you'll soon get great pleasure out of what you achieve as you move down the layout.

:locomotive:

Best thing I find is to break the layout into chunks not literally but scenic wise and concentrate on one block even put some tape on the edge of the base board where your working too :paint: I find this best if you have smaller chunks of time, smaller chunk of time, smaller area to work on...simples....

Ok still run your trains but don’t get distracted by what’s the other side of the fence (or tape).

Then take some photos of what you've done ,as digital photos are great for spotting what your eyes miss (at least they are for me) :blind: . Then when your satisfied show us the results :friends:  and move to the other side of the fence and start over again you'll soon get great pleasure out of what you achieve as you move down the layout.

:locomotive:

Thanks Steve, I'd come to exactly this conclusion regarding managing my thread and getting anywhere at all! The idea of a taped borderline I hadn't thought of. Excellent for maintaining that discipline.

I'm busy with a rough track-plan just now - then, onward. :)

Hal.  :paint:

• RMweb Premium

Memo to self: I just spent ages on a lengthy post only for my tired wrists to drop on the lap-top touch pad (which I hate) and deleted the lot. So, DRAFT IN WORD!!!

Away to weep for a while... (sob)

Hal 'o the Useless.

It's a right PITA. The first thing I do with a new laptop is disable tap-to-click.

It's a right PITA. The first thing I do with a new laptop is disable tap-to-click.

Thanks for that - makes sense. But being barely PC-savvy I'll have to sus out how to do it. 'Trouble is, on my aged but perfectly fine otherwise acer, the left-click is dodgy, so I tend to use the tap a lot. I don't know any key-strokes... Self taught by a poor teacher!  :jester:

BTW: I love your bi-line. It's exactly how I think of my fantasy ecml - what could very easily and sensibly have taken place...

I've just had a butchers at everything since the start and I've used the same damn images several times. I think it was to do with the sizing issue I was struggling with, then the cropping problem. Anyone casting their eyes over this must be bored to tears. :(

Anyway, as I've mentioned, I'm working on a track-plan and a description of the whys and hows relative to the layout coming into being.Then, making stuff - with lots of pics. But it'll not be quick i'm afraid. Looking at it from my current perspective I rather wish I'd made and photographed some items before I started the thread, but there's no point in whinging about that now.

It will get better - promise! :D

Hal.

• RMweb Gold

Super layout Hal - thanks for sharing

Its great to get modelling vibes from this site! For me they can work both ways - the support is always fantastic and a great positive energy. For me the danger is that there are some fantastic individual models on here and as like you I am running a largish layout with a lot of stock then the majority will never get anywhere near some of the brilliant stuff on here.

But if what we are achieving is a railway with all its component parts - and if lurking in there are some modelling gems that we are proud of then that will give another boost to the modelling mojo

Look forwards to seeing more developments

Kind regards

Phil

Its great to get modelling vibes from this site! For me they can work both ways - the support is always fantastic and a great positive energy. For me the danger is that there are some fantastic individual models on here and as like you I am running a largish layout with a lot of stock then the majority will never get anywhere near some of the brilliant stuff on here.

But if what we are achieving is a railway with all its component parts - and if lurking in there are some modelling gems that we are proud of then that will give another boost to the modelling mojo

Kind regards

Phil

Thanks Phil, much appreciated.

I'm pretty much trying to adopt the 3' rule. I'm sure you are familiar with the concept that super-detail is not strictly necessary, rather the overall picture from an average viewing distance. Having said which, modern digital cameras show up the tiniest of faults regardless. As it happens, much of the urban structures are to the rear of the layout with all the track foremost, so they are essentially background to the trains, almost an applied 3' rule by location alone.

That there is so much incredible modelling on RMweb is a source of great pleasure, but I have to be careful that I'm not smothered by it. One of the most off-putting reasons when starting a thread can be the excellence of others. While  so many of us are average, we can hope - as you say - that we might come up with the occasional gem.

But, as you'll hear me moaning regularly: where does all the time go! ;)

Hal.

L8r - as the young text: I've just been enjoying your video's on Youtube - excellent! I find myself going more and more to diesel - sheer realism.

Thanks Phil, much appreciated.

I'm pretty much trying to adopt the 3' rule. I'm sure you are familiar with the concept that super-detail is not strictly necessary, rather the overall picture from an average viewing distance. Having said which, modern digital cameras show up the tiniest of faults regardless. As it happens, much of the urban structures are to the rear of the layout with all the track foremost, so they are essentially background to the trains, almost an applied 3' rule by location alone.

That there is so much incredible modelling on RMweb is a source of great pleasure, but I have to be careful that I'm not smothered by it. One of the most off-putting reasons when starting a thread can be the excellence of others. While  so many of us are average, we can hope - as you say - that we might come up with the occasional gem.

But, as you'll hear me moaning regularly: where does all the time go! ;)

Hal.

Moorings',................. To the,         Geordie ,  3.foot rule     a really good principle.

Kind regards

Phil

Excellent Post Phil....

Archived