LNWR stock at Kew?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I don't want to sound daft by answering a question with another question, but which of the Kew stations are you looking for?

Is it the original N&SWJR station on the Kew West curve, or are you looking for the replacement Kew Bridge on the Eastern curve? We ran an article on Kew Bridge in the NLRHS journal last spring which included some nice views of both stations, but I don't believe I have seen photos of anything other than railtours at Kew Bridge, and I'm not aware of any views of trains passing Kew, and there is almost no chance of finding any photos of it when it was open.

I was also a bit confused by the reference to the headshunt and bufferstop. As far as I know, run-round moves were signalled out onto the LSWR lines. I have heard, but don't want to mislead, that some run round moves involved the loco running light over the LSWR from New Kew Jn to Old Kew Jn, then round the third side of the triangle to return chimney first back towards Broad Street. Whether this is true I don't know, but either way, I don't believe there was any provision of a headshunt for terminating trains.

I would definitely recommend joining the NLRHS. Our next meeting is on the 23rd January, and we will definitely have some back issues of the journal there if they are of any use. This is a link to our website, although I have just noticed the meetings page needs updating, so don't take too much notice of the dates or speakers! I'll get onto our webmaster to get it sortedd out.

http://www.nlrhs.org.uk/index.html

Cheers

Charlie

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I don't want to sound daft by answering a question with another question, but which of the Kew stations are you looking for?

Is it the original N&SWJR station on the Kew West curve, or are you looking for the replacement Kew Bridge on the Eastern curve? We ran an article on Kew Bridge in the NLRHS journal last spring which included some nice views of both stations, but I don't believe I have seen photos of anything other than railtours at Kew Bridge, and I'm not aware of any views of trains passing Kew, and there is almost no chance of finding any photos of it when it was open.

I was also a bit confused by the reference to the headshunt and bufferstop. As far as I know, run-round moves were signalled out onto the LSWR lines. I have heard, but don't want to mislead, that some run round moves involved the loco running light over the LSWR from New Kew Jn to Old Kew Jn, then round the third side of the triangle to return chimney first back towards Broad Street. Whether this is true I don't know, but either way, I don't believe there was any provision of a headshunt for terminating trains.

I would definitely recommend joining the NLRHS. Our next meeting is on the 23rd January, and we will definitely have some back issues of the journal there if they are of any use. This is a link to our website, although I have just noticed the meetings page needs updating, so don't take too much notice of the dates or speakers! I'll get onto our webmaster to get it sortedd out.

http://www.nlrhs.org.uk/index.html

Cheers

Charlie

I suspect Charlie has got it spot on for the pre-electric era as just such a move would turn the locomotive too, and I don't recall ever seeing any traces of any other provision for run round on such tight curves. The only shots I have seen at or passing through both stations have been goods, light engines and the odd REC special.

As an aside I lived in one of the tower blocks over looking the area from 1970 until 1982. The old coal yard alongside the N&SWJR retained a stub that was used for stabling locos which were often exchanged at Old Kew Junction from Eastern & LMR specimens (25/31/37/47) who handed over to Classes 33, 73 & 74s. There was a regular Class 25 working from Cricklewood to the larger coal yard to the north of the triangle adjacent to Lionel Road then in use for cement workings with presflos. Whilst regular coal and MGR workings took the eastern curve through the former LNWR/NLR Kew Bridge station and past New Kew Junction mostly in the hands of Class 45s or 47s from D16 Nottingham Division, and by heck the squeels from the bogies of the Peaks could be heard for some distances as they struggled on the tight curves and check rails. Other trains to run through the former LNWR/LMS Kew Bridge station at this time were excursions almost always in the hands of Class 47s, the odd Class 25 would get a run through on goods workings, mainly coal empties.

On the western curves through Old Kew Junction excursions also ran through again mostly in the hands of Class 47s, however a couple of named Class 40s made the journey through here on Ascot race specials from the north around 1970/1 which were a pleasant surpise as they came past my school alongside the line near Syon Lane station. Highlights for me were always the diverted Warships off the mainlines on the Exeter expresses and they also ran through Kew Bridge SR station with the odd freight too, as did very occaisionally a Western or a Hymek as well. Most weekday mornings around 6am a Class 37 with oil tanks would give a blast of approval to the signalman for a clear road through the junction on his horn then crank his loco up fully to storm away westwards towards Brentford, thus waking up the residents of 504 flats in the six tower blocks, yours truly was just about to rise anyway for my paper round, but he would not have been popular elsewhere for sure!

When the old enamel signs were changed over at Kew Bridge's former LSWR station, the skip carrying away the targets etc along with other more interesting stuff was whisked away before I could liberate some its contents. However still tucked away in one of the buildings of the old LNWR station were several old advertising enamels which were being used to help patch up the rotten woodwork cladding. These had several layers of paint over the ads themselves, but with much paintstripper they cleaned up a treat. Sadly I sold them when I moved to Australia to work in 1982, along with the former GWR goods office clock I also saved for the nation out of Brentford's former GWR goods shed alongside the Firestone's siding, just as the demolition men were ready to flatten it, I ballanced it carefully on my pushbike all the way back to the flats. Sadly I was chucked out with a few words of rather brutal industrial english when I tried to save what I could from the former Old Kew Junction signal box one sunday morning, as they closed it dropped all the LSWR lattice posts and tore out the old stub opposite, together with firing up the new signals all within 24 hours, including demolishing the box as I recall too.

The former LSWR yard alongside this same signal box held several HALs & BILs and later CORs & BUFs a couple of times overnight as they perhaps ran hot on their way to the breakers. One afternoon I also found one of Bournemouth's Class 03s in the yard likewise heading for Doncaster for overhaul this time. It was gone by the next morning most likely whisked away by one of Stratford's Class 31s during the darkness.

Happy memories.

Kevin

Archived