Emily laid bare: A Stirling effort

Mike, can I - as a modeller of non-right-hand-side-of-the-pond locos and stock say that that is a "cracker" - I have thoroughly enjoyed reading of your trials and tribulations(and successes) on your journey through this adventure.- and share your pleasure in the end result. Thanks for the enjoyment

Edited by shortliner

Now are you totally sure an Emily is still under there? Or is this like how if you change the handle and head of a hammer its really now a new hammer....

This is absolutely stunning. You turned a relatively useless toy into a work of art any modeler would be proud to have built.

And it all goes to show what is possible if you try hard enough, and can work magic with decals.

• Like 1

Even if it fails some of the scale criteria Mike, I think on grounds of quirkiness of subject, overall final appearance and effort put into its creation this loco deserves running powers on any OO gauge GNR or LNER model railway.

Edited by gr.king

Brilliant, Mike....I don't care whether it's to 'scale' or not...[if I did, I'd scratchbuild one]....in fact, I wouldn't know if it was to scale, or not.

What I do know is, having seen photos [and the real thing in the flesh], your emily looks like a Stirling single...and that is what is important, as far as I'm concerned.  :)

Thank you for putting in all the time & effort, all the trial & error....in order that we can go out and do the conversion, right first time!

Emily now has an identity (now I wait for the brick bats to arrive). 

Brick bats? You can't be serious?

With such a lovely result after all the hard work you have put in? Inconceivable.

Your biggest worry after doing all that work is that someone like RapidoTrains will come along and do a museum special in RTR and lots of people will have a plastic Stirling Single.

Great work, bravo! 

I've just returned from a week away and I can honestly say I was looking forward to getting back and seeing where you had got to on painting the Stirling single driver.

It looks wonderful - and so much better than the photographic grey.

I have to admit to suggesting earlier you stay with the grey! But it might be good to have a re-post of the outshopped grey alongside the final painting like the old works photos.

dh

This thread is a bit like the comment in Model Railroader many year's ago "How to convert your brass Shay into two plastic diesels and a spare tender". It is certainly an extensive bit of reworking but the end result is very impressive indeed.

Edited by Graham Hughes
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62739-converting-the-Bachmann-donald-into/

See what you think, is it close enough to the prototype? Scroll up for a scratch drawing.

I think the model may be a bit tall for a Caledonian loco? Probably could be modifiable by a keen modeller.

The only way to find out is to get one and have a go?

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/03/2015 at 20:07, MikeTrice said:

Transfers arrived from Guilplates today and very nice they are too, so Emily now has an identity (now I wait for the brick bats to arrive). Also arrived was some Birchwood Casey Brass Black so I could chemiblack the Romford Screw Couplings.

post-3717-0-14549900-1426104286_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-81752500-1426104286_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-56972000-1426104287_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-20359000-1426104288_thumb.jpg

I must say this is quite a model. Any clerestory coaches in the GNR livery to haul?