Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo

Kirkby Luneside 2: Point rodding complete - 3-linking....

Lunester Layout EM S&C

• Please log in to reply
4844 replies to this topic

#4826 P.C.M

P.C.M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,446 posts
  • LocationNear the beach, Victoria. AUSTRALIA

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:36

I'd completely forgotten how nice 4Fs, and weathered steam locos in general, look until Neil's comment.

It adds a touch of (relative) urgency to having a few running on KL2.

What next, Peter? 4Fs and Black 5s on Llanbourne?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I think I mentioned on here before I have a soft spot for the old S&D which did see 4fs and black 5s so you never know.

Cheers Peter.

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#4827 Physicsman

Physicsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,394 posts
  • LocationWillington, Co. Durham

Posted 14 November 2017 - 21:43

Nothing to report as I'm currently away from home again.

I do enjoy reading your comments, so feel free to post.

I'll get on with the cobbled road when I return.

Jeff
  • Like x 1

#4828 Physicsman

Physicsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,394 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 20:16

I don't look at RMweb too much these days. But when it's offline, it seems very noticeable!

A paradox.

Jeff
  • Agree x 2

#4829 Anotheran

Anotheran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • LocationStafford

Posted 15 November 2017 - 23:29

And we all love a good paradox!
  • Agree x 1

#4830 Physicsman

Physicsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,394 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:13

And we all love a good paradox!

Yes, Neil. And as we both know, there are a few of them in Physics to keep us happy (I think Olbers is my favourite).

One paradox is how I can spend so much time on my high-res imaging when there's so much to do on the layout! I don't know about others, but my focus switches completely. Maybe the fact that I'm out with the telescope from midnight to 7am has inevitable consequences.

Hope to be in the mood for weathering when I get home next week.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman, 16 November 2017 - 12:15 .

• Like x 2

#4831 Anotheran

Anotheran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • LocationStafford

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:51

...but my focus switches completely.

I would hope so... if your focus is set correctly for 4 mm models the moon will just be an undefined bright area!

As for Olbers. It was indeed a very nice paradox for its time showing that at least one of the key assumptions about the universe had to be wrong, so leading to more modern thinking of the universe. That's always a nice way for physics to develop I think... Look at your assumptions, show that if you apply them all then something stupid results (some stop here and would say this is how we got to this universe!) then spend decades to come up with a different theory. In this case the big bang which took out two of the assumptions (static and infinite, or at least infinite in time).

But your post raises another paradox. If you're out midnight to 7am then how do you stay awake when building those fantastic walls! It's probably a very good thing that you live somewhere with plenty of cloudy nights! I'm certainly looking forward to you getting home and back to the bunker again. But for now I hope you have a good break by focusing on infinity rather then 10 cm away!

Kind regards, Neil

• Friendly/Supportive x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4832 Physicsman

Physicsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,394 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 13:45

I know it's a bit off-topic, but I'll try to explain...

I've been gradually refining my imaging technique for the last 3 years (details can be discussed elsewhere). But I now have very critical criteria for when the moon can be imaged - in order to improve my chances of good results.The central requirement is the moon at minimum 40 degree altitude and between azimuth 120 and 270 degrees (about SE to W). This results in 6-10 nights a month, at different times depending on the moon phase.

November produced 6 productive sessions (October yielded none!!), with a lot of imaging done between 4-6am. I have around 200Gb of data to analyse, and it takes ages. But it is great fun!!

Add this commitment to the fact that I'm away from home, and layout work goes "down the swanny"!!

Will send you a PM later today.

It's good to have several major hobbies. Inevitably, there's always a tailing of interest at times, so other things take over. Being away from home is re-kindling my interest in layout scenic work!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman, 16 November 2017 - 13:46 .

• Like x 1

#4833 Physicsman

Physicsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,394 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 18:18

Evening everyone.

My first post in well over a week.

I've been having a lazy time at my dad's in Cumbria and got home yesterday, in time to freeze outside doing some Moon imaging. No heat in the Bunker for a good while - it's 6C in there at the moment.

I'll get the place (relatively) warmed up tomorrow and see if I can get something started over the weekend. At least I can have a play. That's jargon for warming up the rolling stock!

Jeff
  • Friendly/Supportive x 3
  • Like x 1

#4834 lmsforever

lmsforever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,401 posts
  • Locationaylesbury

Posted 01 December 2017 - 17:30

Are you snowed in?

#4835 Physicsman

Physicsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,394 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 18:47

Are you snowed in?

No, it's not too bad up here. Snow flurries all day yesterday, but mostly thawed today.

I had the heater on in the Bunker and did run a couple of trains round. One or two wagons squealed a bit with the cold!

I'll see if I can motivate myself to do something in the next couple of days (78Gb of imaging data from Wednesday is taking a bit of work!)

Jeff
  • Like x 4

#4836 Physicsman

Physicsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,394 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 15:07

Update.....

Aside from having a bit of a clear-out and reorganisation about a week ago, the Bunker has been neglected. The place is intermittently heated and kept at around 6-8C, but other commitments have been keeping me busy elsewhere.

Pretty poor excuses, yes, I need to get my ar5e in gear and go and do something!

Keep checking-in. I suspect that once I get started, my obsessive nature will take over and I'll be back (virtually) living in the place.

Jeff

• Like x 3
  • Friendly/Supportive x 2

#4837 Two_sugars

Two_sugars

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationCosta del Durham

Posted 11 December 2017 - 17:08

HEY! ! !  When you're ready, and not before. . . 

John

• Agree x 3
  • Like x 1

#4838 MarshLane

MarshLane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • LocationFlatlands of Lincolnshire

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:35

Hi Jeff,

Various health, work and family issues have kept me off rmWeb recently, so in a quite hour at work (thats a rarity!!) I'm trying to catch up on my favourite layouts - first port of call was KL2 ... look forward to seeing your progress as ever, but those two 4Fs really look as if they are settled in at home on your layout.  Really is superb to see.

Hope the moon has been playing ball for you?

Rich

• Friendly/Supportive x 2

#4839 Physicsman

Physicsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,394 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 16:44

Hi Rich.

Thanks for your comments. And I hope the health issues have been sorted.

The 4Fs are still 00 gauge - the pics were taken in 2013 on KL. Hopefully I'll get at least one of these re-gauged in the coming year.

I've had some decent moon images over the past month. In the absence of rail activity, I'll post a couple of recent pics on here in the next day or so.

Jeff
  • Like x 3

#4840 Physicsman

Physicsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,394 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 16:46

HEY! ! !  When you're ready, and not before. . . 

John

Cheers John.

I'll follow your advice. Even I'm not (quite) crazy enough to work in the Bunker at 8C.....

9C, maybe!

Jeff
  • Funny x 2
  • Like x 1

#4841 Physicsman

Physicsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,394 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 19:01

Since I've just been working on this, here's a mosaic of 7 images from this morning.

The large crater is Copernicus, around 95km in diameter. The original files are TIFs, so I've had to compress them to a JPEG to post on here - it degrades the quality.... So you end up with a 230k file instead of the original 11Mb one.

A BIT off topic, but - hey - it's my thread!

Cop Kepler 065145 JDB cr cur_stitch shp 7.jpg

Jeff

• Like x 10

#4842 Physicsman

Physicsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,394 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:51

As promised, another Moon image.

This is a mosaic of 3 images, compressed from TIF to JPEG and cropped. The large crater, Aristoteles, is 88km rim-to-rim.

ArEud 045057 JDB recrop stitch 20.jpg

No more moon stuff (on here) now....

Jeff

• Craftsmanship/Clever x 4
  • Like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#4843 jukebox

jukebox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,593 posts
  • LocationPerth (Western Australia)

Posted Today, 08:49

You can't fool me, Jeff.  That's just a macro close up of some air bubbles in the concrete floor of the bunker.

• Funny x 2

#4844 Physicsman

Physicsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,394 posts

Posted Today, 11:56

You can't fool me, Jeff.  That's just a macro close up of some air bubbles in the concrete floor of the bunker.

You've got a vivid imagination, Scott. Good idea though, worth trying.....

I suspect it would be harder to fake this rather than image the real thing. It'd be warmer though - instead of freezing my ******ks off outside!

Jeff

• Like x 2

#4845 Enterprisingwestern

Enterprisingwestern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,599 posts
  • LocationDown there or up here, depends.

Posted Today, 13:52

Yes, Neil. And as we both know, there are a few of them in Physics to keep us happy (I think Olbers is my favourite).

One paradox is how I can spend so much time on my high-res imaging when there's so much to do on the layout! I don't know about others, but my focus switches completely. Maybe the fact that I'm out with the telescope from midnight to 7am has inevitable consequences.

Hope to be in the mood for weathering when I get home next week.

Jeff

Olbers is one of my favourites too, it gives me hope, that, if I live long enough to see a bright night sky, I may have got all of my roundtuit pile finished!

Mike.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lunester Layout, EM, S&C