Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Are you snowed in?

No, it's not too bad up here. Snow flurries all day yesterday, but mostly thawed today.

I had the heater on in the Bunker and did run a couple of trains round. One or two wagons squealed a bit with the cold!

I'll see if I can motivate myself to do something in the next couple of days (78Gb of imaging data from Wednesday is taking a bit of work!)

Jeff

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Update.....

Aside from having a bit of a clear-out and reorganisation about a week ago, the Bunker has been neglected. The place is intermittently heated and kept at around 6-8C, but other commitments have been keeping me busy elsewhere.

Pretty poor excuses, yes, I need to get my ar5e in gear and go and do something!

Keep checking-in. I suspect that once I get started, my obsessive nature will take over and I'll be back (virtually) living in the place.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Various health, work and family issues have kept me off rmWeb recently, so in a quite hour at work (thats a rarity!!) I'm trying to catch up on my favourite layouts - first port of call was KL2 ... look forward to seeing your progress as ever, but those two 4Fs really look as if they are settled in at home on your layout.  Really is superb to see.

Hope the moon has been playing ball for you?

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rich.

Thanks for your comments. And I hope the health issues have been sorted.

The 4Fs are still 00 gauge - the pics were taken in 2013 on KL. Hopefully I'll get at least one of these re-gauged in the coming year.

I've had some decent moon images over the past month. In the absence of rail activity, I'll post a couple of recent pics on here in the next day or so.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Since I've just been working on this, here's a mosaic of 7 images from this morning.

The large crater is Copernicus, around 95km in diameter. The original files are TIFs, so I've had to compress them to a JPEG to post on here - it degrades the quality.... So you end up with a 230k file instead of the original 11Mb one.

A BIT off topic, but - hey - it's my thread!

post-13778-0-85244100-1513105230_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

As promised, another Moon image.

This is a mosaic of 3 images, compressed from TIF to JPEG and cropped. The large crater, Aristoteles, is 88km rim-to-rim.

post-13778-0-35204100-1513176691_thumb.jpg

No more moon stuff (on here) now....

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

You can't fool me, Jeff.  That's just a macro close up of some air bubbles in the concrete floor of the bunker.

You've got a vivid imagination, Scott. Good idea though, worth trying.....

I suspect it would be harder to fake this rather than image the real thing. It'd be warmer though - instead of freezing my ******ks off outside!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes, Neil. And as we both know, there are a few of them in Physics to keep us happy (I think Olbers is my favourite).

One paradox is how I can spend so much time on my high-res imaging when there's so much to do on the layout! I don't know about others, but my focus switches completely. Maybe the fact that I'm out with the telescope from midnight to 7am has inevitable consequences.

Hope to be in the mood for weathering when I get home next week.

Jeff

Olbers is one of my favourites too, it gives me hope, that, if I live long enough to see a bright night sky, I may have got all of my roundtuit pile finished!

Mike.

'tis cheese (Caerphilly) 

(as found on a postcard from Moc, the Mechanic...)

-  that, or it's something my Kerbals have taken !

Fantastic work as always Jeff, and I certainly understand the fits and starts of working on the railway.  I did run trains on Long Marton yesterday- today was filled with going to Sidney for present(s), then shopping for juice boxes for the kids.  It turns out you have to feed them, or they whine a LOT... and when you feed them, they grow !

James

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for the lack of any progress on here over the last few weeks. 

A combination of a lack of interest in "things modelling" and a few other interests taking up a lot of my time (mostly astronomy-linked). There'll doubtless be a resurgence in early 2018, and there's plenty to do!

In the meantime, HAPPY CHRISTMAS and ALL THE BEST for the New Year!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Peter, I appreciate your comments.

As a method of motivating myself, I've decided to read through the KL2 thread. After 2 days I've reached page 65. The most striking thing isn't the layout-related work, but the humour. Very uplifting.

And Jason, if you ever look in.... Andy's reference to you hiding under the blanket (working on my Black 5s) on page 64 always makes me laugh!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We all have times when other things take precedence over modelling. You have done an excellent job on the layout. I haven't forgotten the Steam engines and will contact you in the new year.

Wishing you all the best for Christmas and the New year.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We all have times when other things take precedence over modelling. You have done an excellent job on the layout. I haven't forgotten the Steam engines and will contact you in the new year.

Wishing you all the best for Christmas and the New year.

Don

Thanks, Don.

The steam engines will be a motivating force in the coming year! Look forward to it.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I had to look at Page 64, and yes I chuckled too, I had forgotten about that.

Hi Andy. I always laugh at your comment, no matter how many times I look at that post.

Young Jason seems to have retired as a hermit, so I doubt he'll be modifying Black 5s any time soon.

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi Andy. I always laugh at your comment, no matter how many times I look at that post.

Young Jason seems to have retired as a hermit, so I doubt he'll be modifying Black 5s any time soon.

Jeff

I think it's called parenthood.

He'll be back in 17 years.

I think it's called parenthood.

He'll be back in 17 years.

I've seen him Lurking and sent a PM, but he didn't reply, I do hope he returns, not only his Humour but also his skills as a Modeller will and are being missed.

• RMweb Premium

Scott, Andy, Mark - relevant comments! I wonder if he knows we're talking about him.....?

Just arrived back home, with dad in tow for Christmas. 10C in the Bunker - YES, I actually went in to have a look.

I'm hoping to get a small number of steamers EM'd next year (the "contract" has been tendered and accepted!), so my aim for 2018 is to get KL2 into a "publishable" state. That doesn't necessarily mean finished, but it does set me a target to aim at. When I look back to December 2016, a lot has been done in the last year.

Currently on page 119 of my thread re-read, and my interest is increasing....

Btw - Andy has started a new thread which he PM'd me about late yesterday. Andy, if you look in here, can you post your link, please? I'll be adding my tuppence worth in the next few days.

Jeff

• Like 5