Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

It's ok, Scott, I understand.

I actually found your observation quite amusing, especially as he DOES take so much care and pride with his wagons. Not that Jason seems able to get any modelling done these days - from what I hear, he's back to mountain biking and trying to kill himself by cycling off the top of K2 (well, almost).

As for focusing on the exceptions. Way to go - and it's what is needed. I value a critical eye - and suggested remedies - if there's a problem.

Jeff

Why go all the the way to K2 when KL2 is so close-by, those fells would be a challenge for any biker!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Why go all the the way to K2 when KL2 is so close-by, those fells would be a challenge for any biker!

He seems to have totally disappeared....

However, if I threaten to use the wrong grade of plastikard, the wrong type of wheels, shape an embankment incorrectly etc he USUALLY appears, pronto.

Long way back from K2, though. And I bet the broadband's not so good up there!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I once read somewhere that ideally you shouldn't need locos or stock to tell you where a model railway was set. From those photos, even without the train, it couldn't be anywhere other than on the S&C.

Late edit. 

I seem to recall it was a caption to a photograph which had a length of double track and signals and was typical Midland Railway.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Update: All quiet on the Bunker front for the last couple of days due to visitors and a plethora of classic sci-fi films.

"Normal" service from Wednesday, whatever "normal" means!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've managed to get a bit of time in the Bunker today, which was a pleasant surprise.

I had one packet of Smiths 3-link couplings, so I've started fitting them to some of my rolling stock. Haven't got very far to date, especially as drilling through the buffer beam area of my Bachmann 16t mineral wagons results in rapidly meeting a block of metal at either end. Suitable "evasive manoeuvres" have been developed, and with more couplings now on order who knows, in a week or so I may have a second train of stock ready to trail behind a 24.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've managed to 3-link about a dozen or so wagons today. I got faster and neater as time wore on and I've just run a train of them around the layout.

About half of them need their back-to-backs adjusting, and I'll do this tomorrow. I think I've another 6 or so "EM'd" wagons ready for 3-linking, then I'll convert a few more.

Very enjoyable.

Some pics to come. Please note, both trains are missing guards vans - simply because all my guards vans are still 00. Another job to do.

Running trains has been fun, for a change. I think a bit of cobble-laying may be on the cards in the near future.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

For goodness sake, don't mention sausages. A well-known RMwebber will be on here before you know it.

I see the shell of a station building has sneaked into one of the photos. Is this for a covering of Wills'?

• RMweb Premium

Looking very good its getting to look more like the real thing every time I log on ,the ballast especially  a wonderful mixture you have used.

I'm pleased with the ballast, especially given the time spent on laying and weathering it.

I think the use of fine grade (N) really helps and having the track ballast contrast with the "ash cess" - which was put on first - improves the appearance.

Peter - thanks, glad you like the cess. It still needs a bit more weathering in places. But no sausages, please!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

For goodness sake, don't mention sausages. A well-known RMwebber will be on here before you know it.I see the shell of a station building has sneaked into one of the photos. Is this for a covering of Wills'?

Yes, Jonathan, the station shell will be covered in the Wills stone, which I've now had plenty of practise with.

This is the ply shell I made in July. A friend was round earlier this week and asked why the shell was sitting in the fiddle yard area (out of the way!!) and where did it go? So I thought it may as well take up residence for the time being.

No plans to work on it currently. I suspect there'll be a mad burst of scratchbuilding over the winter, as happened in June/July. Don't know about you, but I become obsessed with doing something and then spend hours on that one thing (walls, for example?) Crazily focussed, but can be very productive.

Jeff

I've managed to get a bit of time in the Bunker today, which was a pleasant surprise.

I had one packet of Smiths 3-link couplings, so I've started fitting them to some of my rolling stock. Haven't got very far to date, especially as drilling through the buffer beam area of my Bachmann 16t mineral wagons results in rapidly meeting a block of metal at either end. Suitable "evasive manoeuvres" have been developed, and with more couplings now on order who knows, in a week or so I may have a second train of stock ready to trail behind a 24.

Jeff

The easy way with 16T's is to take them apart (one screw on the bottom), then pry the cast metal bar out, put that in the "someday" pile, and replace it with a piece of lead cut to fit.  (mine came as a material tax rebate from work, so I don't off hand know how thick it is, but I use 2 layers...).  Then you can see where you are putting the #73 drillbit through the plastic.  Use a Dremel/rotary tool to run the drill bit, drill a pair of holes in where the "hook" was, then slot them out using said drill bit.  Get a modest supply of them...over here, I got the cheapest sets from Lee Valley, but they seem to have discontinued them- they were as cheap as $ 2.50/set for 61-80, and I bought a bunch of sets...  Put the three link coupling into place, fix it in place- the ones I have use a pair of tabs, one folded one way, one the other, and a spring), then put the whole lot back together.  Also, remove the Bachmann coupling pocket.  I left the round support structure in place, but I suppose that can be trimmed off.  From a normal viewing distance, you cannot see them.

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

James, thanks for that last post.

I've actually fitted around 20 wagons with 3-links in the last day or so. It all seems to work ok, and the internal metal blocks haven't been too much of a problem. I do have a cup that's overflowing with NEM couplers and associated paraphernalia.

I used a Dremel initially, but found that using a hand drill with a 0.8mm-ish drill to work a treat. I've managed to bend/break a couple of those!

May get chance to post a pic or two later.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: I'm continuing with the wagon gauge conversions and 3-links fitting. 26 wagons done, to date, and enough links for another 6 - which I'll hopefully get done today.

I'll order another couple of packs of links in a minute as I may as well get on with the job while I'm in the groove.

My target is to get 3 freight trains (2 x 24s, 1 x 25) in the yard ready for "play" by the end of the week - so 45ish wagons in all (not counting the dozen or so hoppers provided by Jason). Yes, I need to do some more kit bashing to broaden the wagon types, but at the moment - as there's only little old me on the task - there's only so much I can do.

A cobbled roadway between the station approach and the goods shed is the next scenic task.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

At the risk of repeating myself which I hate doing all I can say is.............Love it....Love it.....Love it. Really looking good mate.

I'm getting there. I was about to say "slowly" but I'm very surprised at how much has been done since the gauge change one year ago.

What would we do without things to keep our minds occupied and plans afoot? Love the work on that fiddle yard of yours, BTW. You must have a very understanding missus!!

Jeff

Update: I'm continuing with the wagon gauge conversions and 3-links fitting. 26 wagons done, to date, and enough links for another 6 - which I'll hopefully get done today.

I'll order another couple of packs of links in a minute as I may as well get on with the job while I'm in the groove.

My target is to get 3 freight trains (2 x 24s, 1 x 25) in the yard ready for "play" by the end of the week - so 45ish wagons in all (not counting the dozen or so hoppers provided by Jason). Yes, I need to do some more kit bashing to broaden the wagon types, but at the moment - as there's only little old me on the task - there's only so much I can do.

A cobbled roadway between the station approach and the goods shed is the next scenic task.

Jeff

"at the moment.."????   Is there something you're not telling us Jeff?  Have you got a shipping container of third world children on it's way that you're engaging as cheap labour to get the job done...  a brace of teenage children that you didn't know you had, that have been drafted in...  or is Andy popping over for a Lunester working bee weekend (cos he seems to get stuff done at light speed compared to the rest of us!)

*apologies if my non-PC solutions offend anyone. At least I didn't mention Prince Harry.... Whoops!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To hell with PC - I detest it. It's insidious, everyone I know feels the same and we're walking deeper and deeper into it, as if we are in some kind of dream.

Bit like the 1930s - with hindsight we wonder how we could have let it happen.

Scott, if anyone's offended on my thread then Far Corfe, that location in southern England, is where they should go.

As for kids - hope not. If so, well, they ain't in my Will!!

Prince Harry - quite like the guy....

Jeff

• Like 1

To hell with PC - I detest it. It's insidious, everyone I know feels the same and we're walking deeper and deeper into it, as if we are in some kind of dream.

Bit like the 1930s - with hindsight we wonder how we could have let it happen.

Scott, if anyone's offended on my thread then Far Corfe, that location in southern England, is where they should go.

As for kids - hope not. If so, well, they ain't in my Will!!

Prince Harry - quite like the guy....

Jeff

Thanks Jeff; Proud Aussie republican here - I have nothing against the Royal Family, except I think that in 2017 it's diabolical that we have another country's' head of state on the back of our coins...

But I have a world of respect for Harry Windsor.  He's a royal I'd gladly shake hands with and have a beer or six - he seems grounded, and normal, despite his lot in life.

It's just that I got in a spot of trouble at another forum a few years back, for reposting the Sun photo of him in fancy dress... the censorship of which led to me deleting my account there.   The good thing is, that led me to posting exclusively here at RMWeb: Silver Linings!

I'm sympathetic that my humour leans to the darker side, and *try* to keep it from being deliberately provocative, but there's nowt so queer as folk...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Here you go, Andy....

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Well I’ve spent an enjoyable 20 minutes catching up with your progress, and I have to say that Sulzer Type 2 looks very at home in the Fells. On the whole superb ... but ....

Yes there is a but, the quality of modelling is exemplary as we all know, but I’m going to have to take you to task ... I believe you have two major failings that are affecting the whole layout, I didn’t want to bring this up, but feel now I have no choice. There is one piece of ballast that has become dislodged with your point ridding exercise and is now 0.475mm out of place and a trees that I think is 0,0004 degrees out of true .. pah! I expected better!! </sarcasm off>

Hehe! Sorry could resist as I couldn’t find anything to nit-pick!! Hopefully gave you a smile, and seriously it’s incredible this layout - it will be a tourist attraction like Pendon when your finished. I’ve said it before but if I can get 25% of the way towards your standard I’ll be happy. But where does the time go? We’re almost in November!!

Keep modelling Jeff :) we are coming to depend on you for raising the standards of inspirational modelling.

Rich

Edit: My iPad doesn’t like the word Sulzer!

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Scott, I don't know whether your humour is "provocative" or not. To me, whether it's humour or modelling, you call a spade a spade and, as far as I'm concerned, that's the way to be.

Can't stand hypocrites, sycophants and PC. Might be an age thing. The younger generation seem to glory in their "freedom", expressed by social media, while being seemingly blissfully unaware of how their acceptance of increased PC is gradually drawing a net around them.

Back to modelling, so long as criticism is accompanied by alternatives for improvement, that's fine.

And btw, I'm not a royalist. But I'd gladly go down the pub and share a few with Harry.

Jeff