Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, taken a minute or two out of (engine) shed building to see what you're up to with the new thread. Having space is great but as always you'll still wish you had more! Early days I know, but are you going to have a go at building your own turnouts this time round? Andy has the black art bug and there seems to be no stopping him now.

You've done a great job with the shed, Jonathan. It looks really good.

OK, let's give a very clear answer regarding the turnout building. NO.

It's very simple. I've got a hell of a lot of non-railway things on the go, as many of you know. Even STARTING KL2 is going to take time, with all the garage clean out and conversion. Then I have to build a very large layout from scratch....

If all I had to do was sit and play railways I'd be happy to have a go at turnout building. But the scale of KL2 means there's just no time and it's not even on the agenda.

Hope that's clear, as I'm sure it's going to rear its head again and again.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There may be a chance that I will get him building a couple of turnouts for the fiddle yard when he comes down next ;)

Sorry, Jason. Not going to happen. I'm happy to spend a lot of time with those kits, but trackwork isn't a priority with too many other things to worry about.

As for the reply to Jonathan, I'm not being negative - just realistic.

Once KL2 is up and running and there's the chance of a smaller, additional project, THEN I'll consider it.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

First foray into the bunker today for clearing purposes. Managed a couple of hours of sorting tools and a few things that can be got rid of.

Just as I was finishing I heard a voice behind me. Peering into the deepest junk-le, I uttered the famous words "Dr Livingstone, I presume?"

Well, it feels like that!  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

Evening Dr, hahhah, you certainly have your work cut out, but think about the long game, and look on the bright side, its better to do it now when you can work to get yourself warm, rather than in the heat of the summer when its 100 degrees in there. 

• RMweb Premium

Evening Dr, hahhah, you certainly have your work cut out, but think about the long game, and look on the bright side, its better to do it now when you can work to get yourself warm, rather than in the heat of the summer when its 100 degrees in there. 

Yes, you're correct. The only problem at the moment is that today it was 4C in there, so rather than be incinerated I had my bo**ocks frozen off, if you'll pardon the expression!

Still, at least it's a start and I'll be in there at 8 in the morning.

I may even get a couple of pics on here, if there's any noticeable difference tomorrow!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another 3 hours in the bunker today and some photos to show progress.

Compare these to those in post #9.

About 40% of the previous content has been removed and what's left is in nice boxes, easy to move around. A mass re-arrangement to free the back and side walls will take place next weekend. Most of the stuff in the far corner of the first pic is railway-related, so much of that will get "consumed" as I go along.

Anyway, some kind of progress!

post-13778-0-03121700-1420387863_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-62379000-1420387867_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-48877000-1420387871_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-05403500-1420387880_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

It has been pretty nippy out in our garage today Jeff. Still I expect shuffling boxes round kept you warm.

Don

I think it reached the dizzy heights of 4C at around 2pm. But as you say, when you're enjoying yourself you don't tend to notice it!

Slightly surreal, but about a mile away I could hear the ice-cream van playing its tune.....

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Always late to the party Jeff, but that's fashionable isn't it! ?...

It got up to 4C here today and much was achieved.

My I be presumptuous to make a couple of suggestions for the bunker. Firstly poke a few sheets of plywood up between those joists and use this to store some of your gear. Better do it now before the ceiling goes up!

It might prove worth while getting a quote for drywall installation. A crew could have that done in a day and by the time you have shelled out for ply it might just come out equal. You could do all the framing with 2"x4" yourself, get the wiring installed and hire one of those foam insulation machines. Much cheaper and quicker! In the end you'll have a pure quality space.

Anyway good luck with KL2, we all know it'll be the dogs doo dahs!

I'm off to catch up on Bodges Bitton, as I caught wind that there's trains running already? 

Regards Shaun        

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Always late to the party Jeff, but that's fashionable isn't it! ?...

It got up to 4C here today and much was achieved.

My I be presumptuous to make a couple of suggestions for the bunker. Firstly poke a few sheets of plywood up between those joists and use this to store some of your gear. Better do it now before the ceiling goes up!

It might prove worth while getting a quote for drywall installation. A crew could have that done in a day and by the time you have shelled out for ply it might just come out equal. You could do all the framing with 2"x4" yourself, get the wiring installed and hire one of those foam insulation machines. Much cheaper and quicker! In the end you'll have a pure quality space.

Anyway good luck with KL2, we all know it'll be the dogs doo dahs!

I'm off to catch up on Bodges Bitton, as I caught wind that there's trains running already? 

Regards Shaun        

I hope it'll be the dog's doo dahs, but he may be searching for his doo dahs for quite a while yet!

I'll be working my way round the walls over the next 4 - 6 weeks (I really have no idea how long it'll take!), so I'll bear in mind what you said about the ceiling. A bit of storage up-top was something I didn't really make use of last time.

Best wishes to far-off Oregon!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Al. I thought it best to start a new thread, even though not much is really happening. At least I'll then have any good ideas in the correct thread, for future use!

Jock, you haven't missed much. The next garage work will be next weekend - a total rearrangement of the surviving boxes and appliances.

Then, on Monday 12th, I'll be ordering the first 4.8m timber, 8' x 4' ply and insulation board. As well as 600 bricks, along with sand, gravel and cement....

So garage conversion work will start next week.

Jeff

• Like 3

That's not bad going in 3 hours ,the garage is looking alot better already

Brian

Edited by bri.s

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I cant find the INDEX, :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no: hahhahahheeheeeeee :nono:  

I did wonder whether I should start an Index - I waited over 250 pages before I started the one on KL.

But then I thought it might be a bit boring - and useless - as NOTHING has happened yet!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's not bad going in 3 hours ,the garage is looking alot better already

Brian

Yep, remarkably I can reach over and touch the back wall! I must admit that I was surprised at the amount of stuff we decided to chuck - with, no doubt, more left to bin.

A ruthless streak helps, especially when you see steam locos moving before your eyes (or did I just dream that bit?!)

Jeff

• Like 4

Good to read of all the insulation going into the roof soffit and the walls - I've never ever properly learnt my lesson about skimping on this.

Interesting also about the sparks of inspiration about actual layout construction possibilities - i.e. 'through' the landscape rather than on a baseboard..

Can I ask: are 'L girders' roughly the same thing as 'Spline' construction?

Here is a link to images of US spline layout building:

https://www.google.com/search?q=spline+model+railroad+construction&biw=1280&bih=618&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=QwWrVJTJHZHY7Aatz4DgDg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw

Best wishes on the venture

dh

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening "dh"

If you have a look at the KL thread you'll find (somewhere in there!!) some data for temperature variations in my old double garage, before and after insulation. From memory, it was -2C to 30C (uninsulated), 10C to 18C (insulated), with the garage remaining at a fairly constant workable temperature throughout the hottest summer days.

The old bunker had around 150mm of Kingspan in the walls and about 100mm above the ceiling.

The new bunker will be comparable. In the winter months, spending hours "playing" in the bunker, I learned the hard way that it pays to invest in insulation!

Looking at your link, it may be that "spline layout" is equivalent to L-girder. The diagram below was from Google, showing the schematic L-girder table. I'll need about 8 of these, of different lengths and depths. I'll wax lyrical about them once I start building them!!

post-13778-0-43498400-1420496526.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

Evening "dh"

If you have a look at the KL thread you'll find (somewhere in there!!) some data for temperature variations in my old double garage, before and after insulation. From memory, it was -2C to 30C (uninsulated), 10C to 18C (insulated), with the garage remaining at a fairly constant workable temperature throughout the hottest summer days.

The old bunker had around 150mm of Kingspan in the walls and about 100mm above the ceiling.

The new bunker will be comparable. In the winter months, spending hours "playing" in the bunker, I learned the hard way that it pays to invest in insulation!

Looking at your link, it may be that "spline layout" is equivalent to L-girder. The diagram below was from Google, showing the schematic L-girder table. I'll need about 8 of these, of different lengths and depths. I'll wax lyrical about them once I start building them!!

attachicon.gifsmall-grid L girder.jpg

Jeff

Hahhahhahhheeeee Jeff, Come on now, YOU wax lyrical, once you start your worse than me, and that does take some doing, hahah

Looking forward to reading all about it. :O

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hahhahhahhheeeee Jeff, Come on now, YOU wax lyrical, once you start your worse than me, and that does take some doing, hahah

Looking forward to reading all about it. :O

Nicest thing you've ever said to me, Andy....

ME - I'm SO QUIET!!

Jeff

The spline type roadbed is quite often used in conjunction with L girder benchwork.  What it does is provides a smooth surface for the trackbed to ride on, that should be consistent. 

They are classed as "open" benchwork, as the intent is to have the scenery run up to the roadbed, without it sitting on a flat surface.  I have no idea how my style would be classed- I started with foam, and then hacked living !@#!@ out of it with various tools to make it into the shapes that I desired.  (all supported on 3/4" by 4" deep plywood side rails, T'd with 2" deep pieces rabbited into the side rails).

• Like 3