Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all the "gang" for your continued input.

It helps to generate interest when the last thing you want to do is cut another piece of plastic! I shall endeavour to do SOMETHING over the weekend, however small. It may serve to inspire Rich to get started....

Martin - really appreciate the very positive comments.

Jeff

I've arrived for my inspiration :P lol! Hope you've had a good weekend Jeff (and anyone else on the planet reading this) .. and enjoyed the weather without being stuck in the bunker?

I had an amusing anecdote (well to me anyway, and after the event!!!) over the weekend, when some family visited - we were all sat around talking, and you know how it is when several people get together with the age range of 38-78 ... you tend to wander off in your own thoughts at times, and tune out the boring bits of the information!  Anyway, there I was, somewhere far far away, when mention of the bunker brought my attention back .. oh I didn't know any of you lot were into railway modelling and knew Jeff of Kirkby Lundside fame on rmWeb I chirped up .... the conversation stopped dead and eight pairs of eyes were firmly fixed on me with that look that says, what on earth are you talking about? .... well how was I to know one of their grandchildren had just come back from Berlin and commented that a rather more well-known bunker was now a car park!!  :O  :no: Needless to say, I drifted back to thoughts of the S&C :)

Rich

Edited by MarshLane

• RMweb Premium

Evening Rich.

Thanks for the anecdote; it brought a few chuckles!

Looking at this page, I think you've posted more often than me. Symptomatic of how much work I've done recently. Which totals zero. Not just other commitments, lack of "mojo" has struck. So keep up the gentle encouragement and one day, as you look on here, there'll be something new.

Thanks for the continued persistence of all who maintain their interest in this thread.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening Rich.

Thanks for the anecdote; it brought a few chuckles!

Looking at this page, I think you've posted more often than me. Symptomatic of how much work I've done recently. Which totals zero. Not just other commitments, lack of "mojo" has struck. So keep up the gentle encouragement and one day, as you look on here, there'll be something new.

Thanks for the continued persistence of all who maintain their interest in this thread.

Jeff

HI Jeff,

Glad it provided a few chuckles :) As for mojo ... if it were me, id stand on a far away hillside (in the bunker that is .. by which I mean yours, not one in middle Europe!!) and survey what the eye sees, lord of all he owns.

I often think that the fourth verse of Jerusalem is appropriate to us railway modellers, when the mojo goes for a walk over the hill and far away....

"I will not cease from mental fight,

Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand

Till we have built Jerusalem

In England's green and pleasant land."

It often is a mental fight with our mojo, although I think in your case 'Nor shall my dry stone walling skills sleep in my hand, Till we have built Kirkby Luneside' is perhaps more accurate!!  The one thing for sure, is that you should be incredibly proud of having done such a remarkable and talented job of recreating 'England's green and pleasant land'.  So keep going mate - thy shall return with gusto and (hopefully) with a station building in hand! :P. As for giving me inspiration ... well, I only have to look back to your photos of the layout to be inspired, but I've told you that before.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

There'll be an update on the state of the layout at some stage over the next few days - certainly by Sunday.

Be prepared for a surprise, not necessarily good!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Dave, Scott, anyone else.....

Here's the BIG REVEAL..... NO!!!!!!!!! NOT me in the green Mankini!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :onthequiet:  :onthequiet: :onthequiet:  :onthequiet:  :onthequiet:  

It COULD be O gauge, as in ZERO.......as in......

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I have 5 cartons like this - all full of screws.... did I REALLY use so few?

post-13778-0-04239600-1529065657_thumb.jpg

I've kept all the L-girder tables except the one for the fiddle yard. Everything is labelled up, for easy reassembly - should it ever happen: 

post-13778-0-00277600-1529065778_thumb.jpg

Here's the majority of KL2. As you can see, I've made some slight alterations over the last fortnight:

post-13778-0-41174300-1529065892_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-03689800-1529066011_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I'll give an outline of the reasons for taking such drastic action in a post, later today. 

Suffice to say, I am NOT unhappy at having done this.

More later.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

OMG!!!!

Does Jason know yet?  He'll do his dinger ya know.

Dave.

Hi Dave.

Yes, Jason knows. I couldn't keep an action of this magnitude to myself so I pre-warned a couple of people over a fortnight ago.

Something new will get built, but not for a while....

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Blimey ever saw that coming one minute the station building was coming along nicely next a bomb has dropped! I don’t frequent the lounge so perhaps there was clues there. Best of luck for what’s next .

• RMweb Premium

Next time Jef, PLEASE do as I sugessted when KL1 was dismantled, BUILD IT MODULAR NEXT TIME. :sungum:

Yes Andy, it was supposed to be modular..... :angel:  :angel:  :angel:

The Fell, for example, was built in four EASY to move pieces.

Well, that was the idea and before I had to hire a pneumatic drill!  :O :O  :O  :O  

The next one will be L-girders, but the system will be modified....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

OK guys, you're an excellent, loyal bunch on here, so you deserve a full explanation of what's going on.

Regular viewers will know that I spend a lot of time over in Cumbria at my dad's.

Dad is 83 next month and in very good health. I live in a fairly large house with my brother, and the idea was that at some stage dad would come over and live with us. However, about 2 months ago we all decided he'd be better off staying in the place he's lived all his life and, we would move instead.

The railway layout and the observatory will be sacrificed (obviously the telescope will move with me), but those are just "things" and count for nothing against dad's well-being. So the house is being put up for sale at the start of July, and we'll move over to dad's until we get another property sorted.

Once I'm settled, something new, railway-wise, is likely to be built, but that's all in the future.

This has all happened very fast, and - by pure coincidence - happens at a time when my interest in KL was at a 4 year low.

So there you have it.

I have no regrets about doing this. It's just one of those things.

I have all the point-work, Cobalts, a lot of the walling, viaduct, buildings and the wood from 4 L-girder frames saved. So there's a lot to encourage something new, whenever.

Thank you all for your continued, continuing input into KL. Any new project will still be S&C, still have a viaduct (maybe a new one), but may not be roundy-roundy and I offer no guarantees on Fell mark 3. The ongoing station structures, such as the main building, are "safe and well"....and will reappear. Oh, and any new layout will probably be EM.

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4