Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Phil. Although I could have bought those in bottles, one of the joys of my occasional trips back to England is the chance to drink hand-pulled draught beer. Doom Bar was the only Cornish beer that I found this time.

Let me know next time you come over. The barmaid in my local in Portmellon pulls a nice pint of both!

Phil

• RMweb Premium

When Graeme in Queensland asked me for a photo of the commissioned lever frame to illustrate a talk he will be giving at the BRMA Convention in September I realised that I hadn't got any, so I nipped out to the railway room today and took a couple of quick shots.

20180819001PMleverframecommissioned.JPG.d0c3f7499f8eb462cc0c19b11fc5d080.JPG

Here is a signalman's-eye view of the frame (and yes I know I should have moved the camera case)...

20180819002PMleverframecommissioned.JPG.a150a97ceeec3d262c26c826652aab21.JPG

...while here is one from a slightly lower angle showing all the wiring.

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

When Graeme in Queensland asked me for a photo of the commissioned lever frame to illustrate a talk he will be giving at the BRMA Convention in September I realised that I hadn't got any, so I nipped out to the railway room today and took a couple of quick shots.

attachicon.gif20180819 001 PM lever frame commissioned.JPG

Here is a signalman's-eye view of the frame (and yes I know I should have moved the camera case)...

attachicon.gif20180819 002 PM lever frame commissioned.JPG

...while here is one from a slightly lower angle showing all the wiring.

Seeing all the levers in situ and it’s close resemblance to a real signal box... are you going to have a shelf above with block telegraph indicators, bells and repeaters... plus the track and signalling diagram.... and maybe even a faux window to look out over the tracks, with a wood stove and armchair behind you of course!
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Seeing all the levers in situ and it’s close resemblance to a real signal box... are you going to have a shelf above with block telegraph indicators, bells and repeaters... plus the track and signalling diagram.... and maybe even a faux window to look out over the tracks, with a wood stove and armchair behind you of course!

Ha ha, no I'm not going that far. Definitely no bells as I don't want to end up like Quasimodo. There is a temporary signalling diagram on the wall, which will be replaced with a neater version once the location of all the signals is finalised but that's all. What you've described sounds like the old Conway Model Railway from the early post-war era - or in a more modern context take a look at this:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64065-leeds-city-the-midland-side-in-4mm/page-34&do=findComment&comment=3249584

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Enjoyed the Caulfield show in Melbourne yesterday. It's always good to see a different selection of layouts and two especially caught my eye - Chadderton, a 00 main line somewhere in the Cotswolds; and Vale of White Horse, based on the GWR main line with the fiddle yards concealed so the whole layout was scenic from the outside. Also good to catch up with some of the VIC BRMA contingent - sorry I stopped you working on the demo layout for an hour...

• Like 1

Spent some down time at work reading through this thread, extremely impressed with the quality of the craftsmanship, Especially the flap over the door!

(High praise from a Kiwi right?)

Following with interest

• RMweb Premium

Spent some down time at work reading through this thread, extremely impressed with the quality of the craftsmanship, Especially the flap over the door!

(High praise from a Kiwi right?)

Following with interest

Thanks Jack. After the last two Saturdays' rugby I'll take any praise, low or high, from the Shaky Isles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Still no real action in the railway room, as just about all my available time is taken up at the moment in working with RodneyV and nerron of this parish on the arrangements for the BRMA National Convention in three weeks' time.

I did, however, go along to the BRMA monthly meeting yesterday. This was the first meeting hosted by the member concerned and it was also the first meeting to take place in a cave. Yes, in his back yard, which is on a steep slope, is a large sandstone cave. Inside the cave is a four-track main line oval with a junction station (Redstone) and a long branch clinging to the cave walls until it reaches the terminus at Cavemouth (guess where that is). Lots of work still to do but the makings of a very nice system.

We were lucky that the previous night's thunderstorms had moved away as when it rains the cave tends to flood and there is a full-scale waterfall at the entrance.

• Like 2

Well st Enodoc... I think I will join you and all the other BRMA members and our special guest.. I am working on my coaches for the competition entry... interiors, clerestory roof and transfers to complet. I hope I can do them all in time...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well st Enodoc... I think I will join you and all the other BRMA members and our special guest.. I am working on my coaches for the competition entry... interiors, clerestory roof and transfers to complet. I hope I can do them all in time...

Look forward to seeing them!

• RMweb Gold

Still no real action in the railway room, as just about all my available time is taken up at the moment in working with RodneyV and nerron of this parish on the arrangements for the BRMA National Convention in three weeks' time.

I did, however, go along to the BRMA monthly meeting yesterday. This was the first meeting hosted by the member concerned and it was also the first meeting to take place in a cave. Yes, in his back yard, which is on a steep slope, is a large sandstone cave. Inside the cave is a four-track main line oval with a junction station (Redstone) and a long branch clinging to the cave walls until it reaches the terminus at Cavemouth (guess where that is). Lots of work still to do but the makings of a very nice system.

We were lucky that the previous night's thunderstorms had moved away as when it rains the cave tends to flood and there is a full-scale waterfall at the entrance.

If your fellow BRMA member would allow, I'm sure we'd all love to see photos of the layout in a cave.

• RMweb Premium

If your fellow BRMA member would allow, I'm sure we'd all love to see photos of the layout in a cave.

Stu, there will no doubt be some posted here in due course:

http://www.brma.org.au/BRMA%20Galleries/British/index.html

I'll chase up the Webmaster (who also happens to be one of my operating team and who will be here for our regular session this Saturday).

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Today was the hottest day since last summer (31 deg C). It was also very windy and there was a minor bush fire a few kilometres away. It takes more than that, though, to stop a Mid-Cornwall Lines running session and this afternoon five of us took duty, with Peter the Cornishman making an impressive debut as Porthmellyn Road signalman. The sequence took slightly longer with only two drivers but all went well. With luck, by the next session in November I might have finished the three-quarter scissors, which will simplify operations in Porthmellyn Road yard as we won't have to use the main lines to run round.

Charles has a couple of photos of the cave layout and will ask the owner for permission to post them here and/or on the BRMA website. Watch this space.

Finally, tonight I watched two matches in the Rugby Championship. In both, the result was in doubt until the final play of the game after the siren. The first, between New Zealand and South Africa, was one of the finest games I have seen for a long time - if you get the chance to watch it where you are, then I recommend you take it. The second - Australia v Argentina - was also tense and exciting, although the standard of play was by no means as high. A couple of glasses of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc helped make it a very pleasant few hours.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

14C and windy yesterday for my last outside cricket umpiring at Otley yesterday. Luckily the game didn't last long...

Baz

Funnily enough, the weather on Sunday here was about the same as that.

In other news, there will be a private VIP viewing of the Mid-Cornwall Lines this coming Sunday. Details later.

• Like 1