Oakley Green Oil Depot

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Welcome to another new project!

This time, the project will be a departure from my normal modelling. This is a commission for a friend, who although has been keen on railways for many years (we did start a layout together several years ago, but due to him moving away for work, the project was sold before being completed, but does not have time to build something himself. He came along to help myself, Ray and my son with Orchard Road at Warley last November and went away thinking about a layout.

The overall scenic size is 3m x 0.8m, plus a 3m long fiddle yard.

Predomninately Oakley Green is an Oil depot, with diesel service area and refuelling, plus a small parcels loading area. The scene will be based in the late 1970’s to early 1980’s, based in the rural home counties to the west of London, sSo we have a bit of Micheldever, Eastleigh Depot, southern region area, basically anything from Paddington or Waterloo west.

The oil depot will comprise of 6 large oil storage tanks, with pipe gantry round to the rail tanker loading areas and fed underground for the road loading area, there will be a plant room where the pipes go into, some room for odds and sods in and around the area.

The track will be Peco code 75 for speed and will be fully DCC controlled using a NCE PowerCab, plus throttle. An appropriate selection of sound fitted locos will be run.

The majority of the buildings will be scratchbuilt, with some kits (Knightwing / Ratio etc) where appropriate.

The plan below shows there overall scheme, although the track plan has been simplified to plan 2 below.

post-7854-0-95709700-1420901642_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-44867500-1420901684_thumb.jpg

So far, the boards are complete, with foam laid for the underlay to the track, as can be seen in the photos. These boards do take up most of my garage at the moment! I've also run the DCC bus wires under the boards with connector between the two boards. Unfortunately, I'm waiting for the Peco track to be delivered to my local shop, so won't be commencing track laying until next weekend.

Any comments welcome. As mentioned, this a commission build and I would consider further commissions when this one has been completed.

Finally, aiming to have 'completed' to show at Barnstaple Model Railway Exhibition Saturday 25th July !

post-7854-0-42872300-1420901949.jpg

post-7854-0-94997300-1420901949.jpg

Edited by mudmagnet
  • Like 16

Hi Richard, Well I've been waiting for this one to appear, it looks really neat, I do like the large area for the Tanks, that will give a real sense of being, as opposed to the normal one or two Tanks that we normally see.

More pics soon I guess.

All the best with this and any future commissions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard, Well I've been waiting for this one to appear, it looks really neat, I do like the large area for the Tanks, that will give a real sense of being, as opposed to the normal one or two Tanks that we normally see.

More pics soon I guess.

All the best with this and any future commissions.

Thanks Andy,

I've a few photos of the sort of tanks that will be modelled and although will be slightly undersize, having 6 tanks will be quite impressive. Also with these being at front and indeed a lot of the track along the rear, should provide plenty of view blockers! The diagonal run of the oil depot lines gives a good length for plenty of oil tanks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There are two pairs of legs for each board, so will stand individually, which will help with building and also erection at exhibitions. Each pair slots inside each other and then bolts into the frame under the board. Each leg fits (tightly) into sockets under the board.

Looking good! I've thought about oil depots before, so it'll be interesting to see how this comes off (probably just as brilliant as OR).

What have you used for the underlay? It looks like adhesive strip of some description....?

Will follow with interest...

Jack.

(EDIT spellings.)

Edited by Jack374

• RMweb Gold

Looking good! I've thought about oil depots before, so it'll be interesting to see how this comes off (probably just as brilliant as OR).

What have you used for the underlay? It looks like adhesive strip of some description....?

Will follow with interest...

Jack.

(EDIT spellings.)

Hi Jack

The foam is that used for laminate flooring underlay. A roll is quite expensive, but a little goes a long way! The alternative is something like neoprene used for wet suits, but this is more dense. I think that C&L sell a roll similar. At least the foam gives a little, whereas cork is relatively hard and quite a bit more expensive per metre than the foam.

Hi Richard

Is the track plan Jamies or is it yours, I am not to sure about the track work in the parcels depot. It dosent look right to me.  You are going to be very busy with this one if you are going to get it ready for our exhibition in July.  

• RMweb Gold

Hello Richard.

Like the sound of this new venture, will be watching with interest, good luck...

George

Thanks George!

I'm really looking forward to get my teeth into this one!

Been having an email discussion about the quantity of the fuel tanks and diameter of said tanks. Possibly 4 may be better than 6, but will partly depend on the diameter of the tanks. I have a cunning plan for how to form these, so will need to have test.

Also, the first building is largely completed, apart from final painting and weathering. So, will post a couple of photos later this week. Also planning on starting the next one later this week..... Need to order some Plaststrut for the main depot building.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard, Which Point Motors are you using?

Hi Andy

I'm using Seep PM1, those with the switch so that the polarity at the frog can be switched. I've cut the wires under the Peco points as they now make allowance in the moulding and also wiring across the stock rails and adjacent switch rail, also Peco have at cut out in the web between sleepers to make easy.

Still need to decide on which accessory decoders to use.....

Afternoon Richard, I used PM1's on Fiddlers Yard with Live Frog, but George and Lee have both had problems with the pins dropping out whilst in use, If I were to use them again I would put a drop of Aroldite or something similar around the pin / above the bar.

Looking forward to some pics soon.

• RMweb Gold

Very nice plan you have MM, I love your hunger for building layouts!

Looking forward to seeing the oil and loco depots.

I can't take credit for the plan, but thanks! As mentioned earlier, this is a commission for a friend, who has quite a bit of input!

I do enjoy building layouts!

• RMweb Gold

Managed to get a bit more track laid today, although cold in the garage! Takes awhile for the glue to dry and only laying a few sections at a time.

However, considering I only picked up the track last Tuesday, I've only one point left to lay, plus 8 plain track sections (in the sidings), so not too bad.

I'll take some photos when the track laying has been completed!

I'm also soldering the dropper wires to the underside of each rail section (a pair on each track that crosses the board joints) and the droppers have also be soledered to the underside of the rails on the points.

Once the track has been laid, I'll cut the track where each crosses the baseboard joint, so that each board can be lifted onto the rear to make the wiring easier ! That's the plan for next weekend !

In the meantime, I've been working on some of the buildings.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Ordered the plastic girders to make a start on the depot building last night! So, will make a start on the roof trusses first at the weekend, or sooner if the post arrives. I've drawn a template on CAD, which needs a little tweaking, which I'll use to lay each section over and glue together. Need to make 7 or 8 sections, so considering making a simple wooden jig.....

Also been looking at the fuel storage tanks and the available kits are far too expensive, so these will be scratchbuilt! Need to make a list of the bits I need so that I can get everything together before starting these.

I reckon that the depot building and tanks need building fairly soon as these will set the scene and then most of the other bits can be designed around them.

Ordered the plastic girders to make a start on the depot building last night! So, will make a start on the roof trusses first at the weekend, or sooner if the post arrives. I've drawn a template on CAD, which needs a little tweaking, which I'll use to lay each section over and glue together. Need to make 7 or 8 sections, so considering making a simple wooden jig.....

Also been looking at the fuel storage tanks and the available kits are far too expensive, so these will be scratchbuilt! Need to make a list of the bits I need so that I can get everything together before starting these.

I reckon that the depot building and tanks need building fairly soon as these will set the scene and then most of the other bits can be designed around them.

Pringles Tubes, Bisto Gravy Tubs, Old Toilet Rolls, is that a good enough list for the tanks? hahhahha