Oakley Green Oil Depot

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Pringles Tubes, Bisto Gravy Tubs, Old Toilet Rolls, is that a good enough list for the tanks? hahhahha

Thanks for the suggestions Andy, but need to be more substantial, so looking at drain or soil pipe (unused of course) and the wrapping.

• Like 3

Hi Andy

Would these coffee tins be to big for fuel storage tanks 4mm.

Well Ray, I thought they were, they did look a bit to big to me, but set back into a busy scene they may fit in well.

• RMweb Gold

Andy

The 750g tins are 157mm across and 190mm tall, they dont look to big with a class 47 alongside. 

Paul.

I don't drink that much coffee, oh and don't drink Nescafe!

Seriously though, I think that these will be too large. OK if only one or two tanks, but we'll be having 4 or 6 tanks! Will also have various ladders / gantries and associated pipe work!

All of the points have now bee laid, the final one left waiting for the glue to dry. Just 6 sidings to add! The slots have been cut for the inspection pits and will be threading the rail on the flex track onto the pits before glueing down.

• Like 1

Hi MM,

With regards to the size of the storage tanks, if you look at this article which contains a photo of Kinsbury, the tanks look pretty large in comparison to the TEAs!

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/huge-kingsbury-oil-terminal-leak-7846078

Whilst I understand that your terminal might not be as large, it still gives you an idea of the scale.

Also this one,

https://flic.kr/p/fDHV4M

Hope that helps.

I am looking forward to seeing your terminal.

• Like 1

Hi Richard

I used Pringle tubes for some oil tanks on a previous layiout that i cant remember the name of now.

There not that wide but can be cut to a decent height and have a nice ally rimmed bottom and you could get a few aside each other

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi MM,

With regards to the size of the storage tanks, if you look at this article which contains a photo of Kinsbury, the tanks look pretty large in comparison to the TEAs!

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/huge-kingsbury-oil-terminal-leak-7846078

Whilst I understand that your terminal might not be as large, it still gives you an idea of the scale.

Also this one,

https://flic.kr/p/fDHV4M

Hope that helps.

I am looking forward to seeing your terminal.

Thanks Alex,

I've a few other photos and keep finding a few more. Plenty to ponder at the moment. One thing is clear though, there does seem to be a variation in sizes of tanks. Of course will be a little bit of a comprimise to give the right impression without dominating the scene too much. I'll make some 'test' pieces first anyway, rolling up some cereal packets and seeing how they look before deciding what to use as a former.

Thanks for the suggestions of tube, but I want to use a plastic core (if the right diameter) as will be more stable over time and won't need internal siffeners. Also need to make a top (possibly slightly conical) to glue to the top. I'm not a great fan of cardboard for modelling this sort of structure .....

I don't drink that much coffee, oh and don't drink Nescafe!

Seriously though, I think that these will be too large. OK if only one or two tanks, but we'll be having 4 or 6 tanks! Will also have various ladders / gantries and associated pipe work!

All of the points have now bee laid, the final one left waiting for the glue to dry. Just 6 sidings to add! The slots have been cut for the inspection pits and will be threading the rail on the flex track onto the pits before glueing down.

I think the first thought we had regarding the drain pipe, 100mm diameter and about 120mm high, what do you think ?

• RMweb Gold

I think the first thought we had regarding the drain pipe, 100mm diameter and about 120mm high, what do you think ?

I reckon that you're right. Will probably look better with 6 smaller tanks rather than fewer larger ones .....

• RMweb Gold

Progress update and photos to follow tomorrow !!!

All of the track has been laid, each rail section having droppers soldered and there is now a large collection of wires hanging below the board! At least with DCC there are only two colours (Black and Red) and each corresponding colour only needs to be connected to the correct bus wire! Track laying is slightly ahead of schedule which is good news! Plan to fit the point motors over the weekend in readiness for electrical testing. Off to Stafford the following weekend to hopefully pick up the NCE Powercab and accessory decoders (still not completely decided which ones to get ...)

Also made a start on the roof girders for the main depot building last night and plan to make a couple more tonight. Again photos to follow.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

OK, about time for some photos.

Firstly the track, which has all been laid.

The two runs into the shed with the inspection pits are laid in long sections, so that the sleepers have been slid off and then the rails threaded onto the inspection pits. The slots being cut through the baseboard - forgot to mention that these are 12mm plywood - carefully using a jigsaw and pits fit snugly in place. I also filled the joints with Squadran Green Stuff as mentioned on Boxenby Depot thread.

post-7854-0-25979100-1422039919.jpg

post-7854-0-55728000-1422039920.jpg

post-7854-0-18888800-1422039921.jpg

Edited by mudmagnet
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Next up are the roof trusses for the depot.

I started with a CAD drawing and printed off a couple of copies. One being used to girder the Plastruct to length / angle and the other as a glueing template. Each cut section is held in place with a few small blobs of blu-tak (wonderful useful stuff this which I use for holding all sorts of things when building / assembling). Then each joint is glued with liquid glue and when dry the frame is carefully lifted off the paper, with a gentle persuassion using a scalpel. A small gusset is glued in place on the other side. I used 3.2mm I-beam for the main sections and 3.2mm angle for the two cross braces for the middle sections. The two outer frames are 3.2mm H-beam, with the same angle.

Paper template

post-7854-0-55267700-1422040402.jpg

Completed frames

post-7854-0-49618000-1422040403.jpg

Each section is then positioned roughly in place, held with Blu-tak (what else ?) to work out the final length and pitch. I've settled on 80mm centres.

post-7854-0-40162800-1422040404.jpg

post-7854-0-16612400-1422040405.jpg

I've also worked out the overall heights and door openings, so next task is make elevation drawings which will be used to cut and assemble the four walls, in a similar manner to the roof trusses.

The main roof will be removable, so will have corresponding profiles to match the roof trusses and will slot over the frames to hold in place.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Looks really great mate, roof trusses do look fab!  whats the plan for the lighting in the shed, side lights as we discussed or roof mounted ?

Also I have sent you an email, 

Looking really good !!

Jamie

I'll have more detailed look at the depot lights. Will have a look on the Internet and at Stafford at the weekend. Have a few thoughts though....

On the subject of the tanks, had a look at Wickes this morning and length of 110mm dia soil pipe seems to fit the bill and one piece cut into 6 lengths would seem to fit the bill.

Wired the first board today, second one to do tomorrow. Need to fit and wire the point motors yet as well.

Plan to get some work on the depot building done today as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking good MM, nice selection of traction. Great work on the roof trusses, I am looking forward to seeing your depot building.

Good luck with the depot lighting, are you planning to have working lights?

Hi

Will have working lights, but not yet sorted which ones to use. Leaning towards lights hanging off the trusses, but need to locate suitable lights,hence interested in the shades that you are getting 3D printed.

I made the main part of the front wall today as well and will post some photos when I get chance.