LB&SCR Modellers' Digest

• RMweb Premium

Well produced and I shall read the article on bufferstops with interest as the technique is applicable to any prototype, but for an issue trying to tempt non LBSCR modellers it is a pity there is nothing on goods stock as that is what tended to wander round the country and is therefore relevant to many pre-Grouping modellers.

Jonathan

Well produced and I shall read the article on bufferstops with interest as the technique is applicable to any prototype, but for an issue trying to tempt non LBSCR modellers it is a pity there is nothing on goods stock as that is what tended to wander round the country and is therefore relevant to many pre-Grouping modellers.

Jonathan

Jonathan

I am at the mercy of other Brighton Circle members to produce articles, but, knowing people's interests, I should be surprised if wagons do not get covered in a future issue. However, as you rightly point out, the pieces about rail built buffer stops and motorising the Sharpie are about the techniques, which should be widely applicable. I suspect that this will apply to many topics that might appear in the future.

Best wishes

Eric

As a lapsed Brighton Circle member (a conflict of interests intervened 30 years ago) I am not surprised by the quality on show here, thanks Eric.

Was that when someone chained a coal train across the junction and blocked you in?! [A Brighton Joke]

Smiffy2: Mike Waldron is doingloco name transfers now...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
number6, on 19 Jan 2015 - 17:33, said:

Was that when someone chained a coal train across the junction and blocked you in?! [A Brighton Joke]

Smiffy2: Mike Waldron is doingloco name transfers now...

No, it was when I was Signalling Steward, and found myself appointed Project Manager for closing Tunbridge Wells - Eridge....

• RMweb Premium

Wagons are included on the HMRS SR wagons transfer sheet, both LB&SCR and LBSC. I don't know about locos or carriages.

I fully understand your problems Eric, in that you can only publish what you get. Ditto in the HMRS Newsletter. But I have also in the commercial publishing world been involved with "issue 0" of two magazines and I know that we anguished for ages about just what to include and then made sure we got it, as the sample issue was seen as crucial in setting expectations for the future and ensuring that potential advertisers (as it was a members' magazine) looked at issue 1.

Anyway, I very much hope it goes well. Perhaps my bias towards wagons is showing too much.

Jonathan

No, it was when I was Signalling Steward, and found myself appointed Project Manager for closing Tunbridge Wells - Eridge....

Ian

As the episode clearly weighs heavily on your conscience, can I suggest a modest annual cheque to the Brighton Circle and careful study of the issues of the Brighton Circular that your postman will then deliver four times a year. This will go a long way to easing any feelings of guilt............................

Best wishes

Eric

Simon

The intent is that the Digest should be open access, as a shop window for Brighton Modellers and the Brighton Circle. The Brighton Circular and the e mail discussion group remain exclusive to members of the Circle. I suggest that anyone modelling a Brighton prototype, or interested in the company's history, would benefit greatly from membership.

Best wishes

Eric  

Now you've got me thinking. I've been building SECR stock but this 1908 map of the lines out of London Bridge shows the SECR and LBSCR running alongside each other. There is also the East London line which would have included Great Eastern goods traffic. All sorts of possibilities here. Perhaps my next loco will be yellow?

post-22510-0-31287100-1422011416_thumb.jpg

source: Wikipedia http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bricklayers_Arms_%26_New_Cross,_Midhurst_RJD_91.jpg

• Like 2

I think the new digest is great, thanks to all who put it together.

Eight or so years ago, I was a member of the Brighton Circle, as well as the SECR Society, the HMRS, the 2mm Association, the N Gauge Society as well as a subscriber to 2 or 3 UK model railway magazines. Unfortunately, it all became too expensive as income dropped.

I waffled between N and OO back then, never did get much done other than a lot of reading.

Now, my interests have reared their head(s), so exploring options again. Most likely will work in N, less expensive to have things posted to the US, but not locked in yet. Will definitely have a South/South East pre-grouping look about it, whatever I do,

One question, is the Brighton Circle members email group the one on Yahoo? I ask, as I am still a member of it, but notice it is not very busy.

Jim F

I think the new digest is great, thanks to all who put it together.

One question, is the Brighton Circle members email group the one on Yahoo? I ask, as I am still a member of it, but notice it is not very busy.

Jim F

Jim

The tally for the e mail group is 73 messages in the last 7 days; not sure whether that counts as busy or not for a list of that kind.

Best wishes

Eric

Eric, thanks for clearing things up. The yahoo list I am still on, titled The_Brighton, has all of 26 members, and had a grand total of 22 messages for the whole of 2014. So I think it is safe to assume it is NOT the email list for The Brighton Circle :)

I see they still do not have a means of joining online, so will have to contact a friend in London, and if so, have her mail a check and application in for me.

Thanks again.

Jim F

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking forward to the next edition of the Digest. I've re-joined the Brighton Circle, and have also settled on working in7mm.

After exploring what all working in 4mm EM or P4, but not wanting to use standard OO track, and, knowing I would not be building a sizable layout in any scale, I decided I'd prefer to work with things I don't need the magnifiers for as much :)

I know what you mean about pension vs. expenses, Choo1choo. However, I did a lot of adding up costs, and 7mm is not much more for what I want for my given space. It's more the cost of a item at one shot that one has to get one's head around.

My first kits will be a few SER items, however, then LBSCR.

Jim F

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...