Hornby's new 21 ton hopper

Solved the problem of the wheel catching, converted it to EM! Problem then is the wheel catches the brake mechanism, so that needed gluing to the axleguard and thinning.

Mike.

is the brake mechanism spigoted to the chassis in the same way as on the Hornby tope? See items 38-9 on the attached pic. And I guess the coupling assembly must be part of the chassis moulding now, not a separate screwed on affair?

post-508-0-75390800-1421860102_thumb.jpg

....and my brake levers fell off whilst removing that block!

Oooh goody. That should make their replacement with Ambis etched jobbies a little less stressful.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Hang on a mo - will the new 21 ton body go on the tope chassis to give us a fitted diagram 146 hopper?

But start thinking about a Parkside welded body on the tope chassis and there is some decent permutations. Parkside kindly sell the body sprues separately.

Thing is, it then starts getting expensive for one wagon. That's why there is upwards of forty Parkside hoppers and a good few more Airfix/Hornby/Bradwell combinations strewn across my work bench...

P

• RMweb Gold

Too true Porky!

Similar trainloads of Hornby and PD hopper currently in Elmstone Hardwicke works for Abbotswood duties

Does the PD dia 146 kit come with a VB option?

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

A couple of minutes work with some evergreen strip and channel would see the ends of Parksides 1/146 body converted into a respectable 1/146 Lot 3157 wagon. Steel vac pipe from 0.9 brass and Wizard models does a pair of BR hopper vac cylinders but beware, the 21 ton BR hopper builds can be as confusing as the 16 ton mineral.

For example, Pressed Steel seemed to fit vacuum cylinders to the lot 3157 wagons at random. There is a good few pics about that show wagons from lot 3157 fitted with all vacuum brake paraphernalia apart from the cylinder itself and coupling hoses. Painted grey of course.

post-508-0-18698400-1421876791.jpg

And a similar but subtly different 21 tonner alongside one of it's earlier 13t wooden brethren in deepest Sussex.

12411514333_bd9244692a_b.jpgArdingly Station, 28 Oct 1962 by Ian D Nolan, on Flickr

P

• Like 1

This fitting of wagons with most of the paraphenalia of vacuum braking seems to have happened a lot; I've seen Tipplers, 16t Minerals and Pig Iron wagons all so fitted. A lot of the tipplers and hoppers were to receive the finishing additions in the mid 1970s, when there was a hurried attempt to find vac-fitted stock for Mendip (and other) stone traffic- I remember rows of wagons awaiting fitting around the Bristol area, where Barton Hill was undertaking some of this work.

I wonder what two hoppers were doing at Ardingly- was there a sand terminal or something?

You could always put a fitted head of Banana vans on, as they used to do at the time on unfitted mineral trains in South Wales.

Often branded 'Tadpole'.

Couple of rakes often stabled at Llantrisant amongst other places.

Brian R

Often branded 'Tadpole'.

Couple of rakes often stabled at Llantrisant amongst other places.

Brian R

It was Llantrisant that sprung to mind, along with Llandeilo Junction. It was presumably intended so that freights using the South Wales main line could run a little bit faster. I don't think I ever so the vehicles used on feeder trips to Llandeilo Jct, only on the main-line workings.

I wonder what two hoppers were doing at Ardingly- was there a sand terminal or something?

Probably stone traffic.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Ardingly,+Haywards+Heath,+West+Sussex+RH17/@51.0321359,-0.0920099,347m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4875f48500ed6c47:0x9bc1bd7b0be2afc9?hl=en

P

• RMweb Gold

Mike.

is the brake mechanism spigoted to the chassis in the same way as on the Hornby tope? See items 38-9 on the attached pic. And I guess the coupling assembly must be part of the chassis moulding now, not a separate screwed on affair?

attachicon.gifHornbyTope-1-EditSm.jpg

Oooh goody. That should make their replacement with Ambis etched jobbies a little less stressful.

P

Looks absolutely nothing like that !!!

It's the diagram 1/141 & 1/143 (HUO) that has been done, with single sided clasp brakes.

It's the lower link bar between the 2 shoes which needs thinning, similar to the problem of widening Bachmann EE type 1 wheelsets.

Mike.

It's the diagram 1/141 & 1/143 (HUO) that has been done, with single sided clasp brakes.

Thanks Mike,

I realise about the single sided brakes Mike. Although  the new Hornby hopper looks far more like a LNER Diagram 100 by Hurst Nelson to me with the end hand rails as built. The hand rails were soon modified by extension to give set riders more to grab hold onto.

I just wondered if the single sided clasp brakes looked like they were a separate moulding spigotted to main chassis as on the tope.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

I just wondered if the single sided clasp brakes looked like they were a separate moulding spigotted to main chassis as on the tope.

P

Yes, the whole single brake moulding for both wheels is spigoted, and doesn't seem to be glued either!

It's an easy enough solution to thin the bar down and then glue it to the inside of the w iron though.

Mike.

Phil,

I don\t think the LNER version with the long brake handle worked anywhere out of ER territory(and then were mainly in the north east I believe) - as such they're ideal to go with an NE allocated K1 so Hornby have done something quite interesting in matching a new wagon in their catalogue to a new loco in that catalogue.

I can't recall ever seeing one with a long brake handle anywhere on Western territory although you never know, the odd one or two might have made it.

Can't speak for the WR but they were an everyday sight, if perhaps not common sight on the LMR.

H

are the missing lower handles of the Hornby model at ends missing or is it a different design?

I assume you're referring to the end handrails?

If so does this make it any clearer?

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/h2E1D2A28#h2e1d2a28

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Hornby's model is superb and hopefully the start of a line of more variants.  All that I would do to it is add the brake cross shaft,  handrails across the end stanchions and replace the wheelsets.

Also the bang plates, buffers and number suffix could do with sorting.

Mike.