Hornby's new 21 ton hopper

What size buffer head do I need to order?

Thanks

You don't want oleo buffers (as previously suggested) as I have never seen a photo of a rebodied one with them. A number of the original, 5 stanchion, body style had oleo buffers (429826 - 429882 series) or self contained buffers (426963 - 427336, 429909 - 430039 series).

13" head spindle buffers were used. From looking at Paul Bartlett's site these styles appear to be the most usual:

vacuum fitted wagons http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_051.htm

unfitted wagons http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_050.htm

Edited by Flood

• RMweb Gold

Wouldn't mind giving it a go myself, but the nearest Games Workshop is an hour and a half away!

Mike.

On ebay you can get all the items he mentions (aside from the cotton buds) for about £12-13 total :)

• RMweb Gold

Can not help myself, ordered a pot off ebay, paid over the odds. But itching to get stuck into a rake of 16t minerals

Pictures to follow please!

On ebay you can get all the items he mentions (aside from the cotton buds) for about £12-13 total :)

Assuming the Spanish postal service can get it all here in one piece!

Correos interpret FRAGILE as only bounce twice.

Mike.

They make up in to a nice model don't they!

Have heard others stressing about getting everything square but haven't caused any problems here

Phil

Yes I agree they do Phil.

It is a question of taking your time with them, I have a flat metal flat set square that I use to get em square.

The handrails are very fiddly mind.

I did these two as a test. So when I do another batch (perhaps 4 at a time), I might get a bit quicker as I learn t the ins and out of how to approach and how not to approach building them with these two.

What I like about them, apart from the fact I remember them moving about the network, is that they offer so many great variations in the weathering that can be applied.

Steve

Yes I agree they do Phil.

It is a question of taking your time with them, I have a flat metal flat set square that I use to get em square.

The handrails are very fiddly mind.

I did these two as a test. So when I do another batch (perhaps 4 at a time), I might get a bit quicker as I learn t the ins and out of how to approach and how not to approach building them with these two.

What I like about them, apart from the fact I remember them moving about the network, is that they offer so many great variations in the weathering that can be applied.

Steve

One thing to note is that clearances between the hopper bottoms and the back of the wheels are minimal, which can lead to the wheels rubbing on one side if the body and chassis aren't precisely located relative to one another. This isn't just a problem with the kits; I did half a dozen or so with Dapol bodies (rivet detail removed and plastic ribbing added), before Parkside brought out the kits, using their 'Tope' underframe. One or two of these suffer from dragging wheels.

Handrails are best bent up using one of Bill Bedford's bending jigs; it cuts down the profanities to a level that's acceptable for kitchen-table modelling. It's another one of these things that out be covered in high-visibility markings to make it easier to find.

• RMweb Gold

One thing to note is that clearances between the hopper bottoms and the back of the wheels are minimal, which can lead to the wheels rubbing on one side if the body and chassis aren't precisely located relative to one another. This isn't just a problem with the kits; I did half a dozen or so with Dapol bodies (rivet detail removed and plastic ribbing added), before Parkside brought out the kits, using their 'Tope' underframe. One or two of these suffer from dragging wheels.

Handrails are best bent up using one of Bill Bedford's bending jigs; it cuts down the profanities to a level that's acceptable for kitchen-table modelling. It's another one of these things that out be covered in high-visibility markings to make it easier to find.

And the same problem with wheel clearances on the Hornby LNER 21 tonners....theres not a lot of room in there!

Phil

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

And the same problem with wheel clearances on the Hornby LNER 21 tonners....theres not a lot of room in there!

Phil

Still having problems running these Hornby wagons....derailments aplenty where all else is ok.

Has anyone come up with what looks to me like the solution....swapping the wheelsets for narrower wheels to allow freer running  and a bit of side play? Mike's EM solution not withstanding....

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Still having problems running these Hornby wagons....derailments aplenty where all else is ok.

Has anyone come up with what looks to me like the solution....swapping the wheelsets for narrower wheels to allow freer running  and a bit of side play? Mike's EM solution not withstanding....

Cheers

Phil

Phil

I gave up trying to carve bits off the chassis to get these to run freely and ended up swapping the wheelsets for Dapol ones. They now run fine.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks both

Mick - great minds etc - that was my first line of attack and they were narrow to gauge - but correction not the answer unfortunately

Roger - that has to be worth a try, will go there next.....

Phil

• 1 year later...

Has anyone yet done a regression of these Hoppers into their former LNER glory? So far I can only see LNER 193217 on P.91 of LNER Wagons Vol.4A being possible but my knowledge on LNER wagons isn't that good... :(

Some of my repaints and added handrails are here, after the J27 photos.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/943-lner-models-in-4mm/page-33

Some of my repaints and added handrails are here, after the J27 photos.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/943-lner-models-in-4mm/page-33

Very impressive work mick. With the exception of repainting and re-lettering, have you modified the wagons with any extras at all? So far I only know that I need to add the handrail that goes underneath the main handrails

Also does the Hornby model only represent examples built by Hurst Nelson?

Small handrail on the ends added and Smiths 3 link couplings. I did consider doing the small side handrai,l but decided to much damage to the body would result so left them as moulded.

I haven't checked, but I believe these only do the Hurst version.