Catfish vacuum pipe

Western Star

I am looking for either a drawing or a photograph which shows the arrangement / run of the vacuum pipe on a Catfish (to include in a 7mm model from a MMP kit).  I am looked at the Building 7mm online website and the build there does not include the pipework.  I have looked at all of the Catfish photos on Paul Bartlett's website - excellent coverage - and I can see some of the pipe alongside the centre portion of the solebar (on one side of the wagon).

So where does the pipe go between the hopper and the ends of the wagon...  and where is the connection between the pipe and the vacuum cylinder?

thank you for your help,

Graham Beare

Thank you for pointing me at the photos of Simon's build, I had not seen those pikkies before.

I believe that I can see where the vacuum pipe runs underneath the headstock and the adjacent longitudinals - I cannot see any pipe running alongside of the hopper, have I missed this?

regards, Graham

Thank you for pointing me at the photos of Simon's build, I had not seen those pikkies before.

I believe that I can see where the vacuum pipe runs underneath the headstock and the adjacent longitudinals - I cannot see any pipe running alongside of the hopper, have I missed this?

regards, Graham

Look more closely at the picture and you can see where it runs from one end to the other

post-4569-0-99244800-1421683401_thumb.jpg

It's the horizontal bar across the bottom of the discharge hopper, it goes along the bottom of the chute, not round.  My red lines got a little sloppy at that point.

It runs along the main frame (looking left to right) from the headstock, makes 2 ninety degree turns laterally to switch to the other girder bracketed to the chute, it runs UNDER the chute parallel with the girder, reattaches to the girder and runs out to the headstock.  It is joined to the brake cylinder by a flexible rubber pipe about 1 inch in diameter.

Don't think that's quite right. The vac pipe goes out in a V shape to secure under the solebar. There is also a brake rod that goes down the side of the schute to get from the vac cylinder end to to the other end to work the brakes at that end. I have tried to show this on a picture of the forthcoming Heljan Catfish, typical that I did take a picture underneath the model.

post-6766-0-67980000-1421697450.jpg

post-6766-0-93633900-1421697458.jpg

post-6766-0-67356100-1421697465.jpg

Thank you Brian, just what is wanted.

Where are those Catfish photos in your Flickr photos?  I have gone through all of the hopper and open albums and not seen them.  Any more of the Catfish?

As and when you see another Catfish, please point your camera underneath the headstock so that I can see what happens to the vac pipe in that area...  I was expecting to see more than one joint in the pipe and at least another pipe clamp.

regards, Graham

So you have noticed that I have not put up my wagon detail pictures on my Flickr site then. I keep these for special people. Actually these are pictures a friend took of the Catfish at Quainton. You should wait and buy a Heljan one! I or Tower will have the Heljan Cat and Dog at Bristol on Sunday.

post-6766-0-58952900-1421701122.jpg

post-6766-0-76591500-1421701124.jpg

post-6766-0-87368000-1421701126.jpg

That is tidy Brian, does what it says on the tin.

I have spent several days looking at internet photos and come no where near what you have posted here.  We can now fit the vacuum pipe end to end and include the various pipe joints.  I had better not show the pictures to Peter...  he will then want to include the screw thread on the handbreak shaft... and the nut...  and the crank.

best wishes, Graham

That is tidy Brian, does what it says on the tin.

I have spent several days looking at internet photos and come no where near what you have posted here.  We can now fit the vacuum pipe end to end and include the various pipe joints.  I had better not show the pictures to Peter...  he will then want to include the screw thread on the handbreak shaft... and the nut...  and the crank.

best wishes, Graham

Um, I did show the photos to Peter...  and he has observed, with a smile, that the MMP kit does include the linkage between the handbrake shaft and the brake gear pull rods - must wake up.

So only the vac pipe to be sorted and Brian's photos deal admirably with that little matter.

regards, Graham

Archived