#126 Caley Jim

Caley Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationBiggar, South Lanarkshire

Posted 22 March 2018 - 21:36

Here endeth the saga of Kirkallanmuir Weighs signal box!   :sungum:

Well, er, not quite!  I decided that it would be nice to have some lighting in the box, but wanted to keep it 'self contained'.  I tried a couple of grain of wheat bulbs powered by a 1.5v button battery, but, while this gave a nice yellowy illumination, the battery died after a couple of minutes.  Nigel Cliffe kindly sent me some LEDs and resistors and rigging a couple of them up with 3 batteries (the LEDs need 3.5v) works well, although the light is a bit on the blue side.  i tried to correct this by painting some cling film yellow and covering them with that, but that just gave a rather insipid green colour.  I replaced this with a more orange colour which is better, but still a bit green.  More experiments required, methinks!

signal box #32.JPG

signal box #33.JPG

Jim

• Like x 3

#127 Caley Jim

Caley Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 21:48

Work on the point rodding suffered a bit of a hiatus as I was struck down with a bad flu and spent a week or so in bed.  Recovering since then has allowed me to make progress, however and the run down the 10ft between the down main and down loop has now been completed.  The run starts with 9 rods :-

DSC_0760.JPG

And goes down to 4 rods which cross under the loop to then go to the turnouts on the far side of the bridge.

DSC_0761.JPG

Again, all the cranks are boxed in.

This board can now go back out to the garage and one of the end boards brought in to fit the rodding on it.

Jim

• Like x 7
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 5

#128 Caley Jim

Caley Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 20:15

The rodding on the board at the colliery end of the layout has now been fitted and the board returned to the layout.  As can be seen, my ploy to disguise the joint between the baseboards has been quite successful :

DSC_0764.JPG

From right to left the tracks are up main; down main; down loop headshunt; colliery branch; access to interchange sidings.

The station end board is now in my study to start on it.

Jim

• Like x 6
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 3

#129 Caley Jim

Caley Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 16:47

Installation of the point rodding has now be completed following fitting to the station end board.  For this I was fortunate in that the road surface on the bridge has not yet been applied, so the bridge deck could be easily removed to get at the turnouts beneath it.

DSC_0765.JPG

A view prior to painting.  the observant will note that the rod to the stretcher bar on the left hand turnout on the down main (leading to the down loop) stops a little short, but as it will be under the bridge it will not be seen and I won't tell anyone if you won't!   :secret:

DSC_0766.JPG

The same view after painting.

DSC_0767.JPG

And a view towards the bridge with the board back in situ.  Boxing in is again used to hide the rods crossing the baseboard joint.  I note that the boards could be better aligned. :fool:

The absence of rolling stock on these last few photos is because it has all been run onto cassettes and boxed in preparation for taking the layout to the Supermeet in Perth on 21st April.

Jim

• Like x 11

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2FS, caledonian