Puffers are back

PGC

It's possible, of course, that this has been posted elsewhere, so if I'm duplicating, apologies. If I'm not, however, I spotted this in the back adverts of Feb 2015 BRM.

Great news - I cut my etched chassis teeth on these kits.

Phil

• Like 3

Nice to see them back, especially the Westward castings range although, to be honest, some of the more complex chassis kits were clearly a step too far for their original designer Rod Neep, and were unbuildable as supplied (e.g. Bulleid Light Pacific, Ivatt 2MT). Others were only half-developed (BR Britannia and 9F). The design game has moved on since the kits became unavailable.

.... Now we just need Impetus kits to re-emerge too.....

More chance of Islamic State being wiped out, I think. Edited by Horsetan

A blast from the past.  I did one or two of these many years ago with good results.  Wondering how these stack up to Comet, both in buildability and range.  Regrettably Chris only takes cheques which means that us overseas will have a tedious process to get our hands on them.  Perhaps they'll become available from other traders.

John

I have a turned J72 chimney via Mainly trains which I believe originally came from puffers... It is one turning I would like more of... I wonder if they will come back or is it easier to buy a lathe and a heap of brass!

....Wondering how these stack up to Comet, both in buildability and range.

Perseverance frames were designed with tab-and-slot spacers in mind, which can certainly help the accuracy of basic assembly as long as the slots have all been etched directly opposite each other! However, as I remarked above, the more complex kits were not properly developed. I had a very bad experience with the trailing truck, slidebars and crossheads of the Light Pacific, and as for the valve gear of the Ivatt 2MT, don't even go there - the frame outline was wrong as well!

The 9F frames scored because they were the only ones at the time with the correct wheelbase, but Rod Neep made errors with the assembly sequence of the coupling rods, and had not finished the design of the cylinders or the motion brackets / reversing gear weighshaft support. Dave Bradwell's all-singing, all-dancing 9F chassis has completely superseded it, as has Comet's (although the wheelbase of this one is compromised).

I have a turned J72 chimney via Mainly trains which I believe originally came from puffers... It is one turning I would like more of... I wonder if they will come back or is it easier to buy a lathe and a heap of brass!

The list suggests that most of the castings and turnings are available from stock. It's only those marked "NIL" which you need to ask Chris about future availability (I need a short chimney for the Gresley N2).

Some of the chassis have alternative or better equivalents - Comet/Wizard do virtually everything that's in Perseverance's list, and High Level have also developed the 0-4-2/0-6-0/0-6-2T territory further. Branchlines cover the popular GW 4-4-0s. And you can also obtain Malcolm Mitchell chassis - at a price - from David Geen.

Edited by Horsetan

Your right Horse, I have just had a look at the link and sitting there in the Loco fittings is the NER stove pipe that I liked so much all those years ago. So I will have to see what else is in the list and work out what I want! The Chimney is even in turned brass.... now do I still look at this lathe today or not?

Three years back (could have been longer) I bought some chassis from Chris and there was a previous thread. Having said that this list is up-dated and seems far more organises than before. As said great news if this range becomes readily available again.

Great to see Chris back up and running again

• RMweb Gold

This is brilliant news.

The Perseverence design (for those kits that I have done) compare very well to the Comet equivilent, and with the tab & slot element mentioned by Horsetan above, this certainly helps the builder, especially if one is a relative novice.

I have done a couple of their 57XX chassis, one in OO and on in P4), a 14XX, an 'Austerity' 0-6-0ST and a J72, and all went together very well. All these locos are amongst my smoothest runners as well. Having said that, with only a little more care (helped by the chassis jigs available now), you can get similarly good results with Comet chassis kits. As far as I can recall, the Perseverence kits also came with balance weights. It may be that Comet also do these now, but several years ago, they didn't, so you had to source or scratchbuild your own.

Whilst I hugely admire the fidelity and quality of kits by such as High Level (and no doubt Churchward, Dave Bradwell etc. - but not experienced either of the latter two), I'm coming to the conclusion that in general appearance ('from normal viewing distances'), and for 'layout locos' that are your workhorses at exhibitions etc., that these more recent kits are over-complicated and don't necessarily offer a significant advantage in terms of running quality and appearance. For a showcase model, however, and/or one where internal motion is very obvious, that's another matter.

For beginners to etched chassis construction, I think that both the Perseverence and Comet ranges offer an excellent starting point, and one from which you can get good results relatively quickly.

I was very glad and relieved when Andrew H took over the Comet range, and more power to his elbow, but I'm also very glad to see Perseverence back, and I can see another 57XX chassis or two being purchased in due course.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Really good news especially from the point of view of the loco detailing parts, which goes a long way to filling the gap left by the demise of Crownline and recent doubtful availability of certain other ranges.

• RMweb Premium

Puffers had a kit under development (many years ago now) for the LD&ECR 0-4-4T loco. It got as far as a test etch built up and displayed on their exhibition stand and I know they had many castings/turnings prepared.

I would be very pleased indeed if that resurfaced. I might even have 2!

It will also be very good to have the various GCR carriage kits and bits available again.

Tony

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...