• RMweb Gold

Hi all

At last some eBay success. Copyright negs of D6XX are especially rare, I managed to pick up two today for £11, again very good price indeed.

First D602 at Paddington which is undated, but late 1950s early 1960s

post-6925-0-98890700-1543500069_thumb.png

Second, D603 at Iver in the same time frame

post-6925-0-97801200-1543500114_thumb.png

I apologise for the copyright mark, but I've had a few of my copyright slides from this thread appearing elsewhere.

Just in time for the Kernow release, which I hope to buy two, with a third, D602 hopefully in the new year.

Neil

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...

Neil, that first illustration is a cracker.

Interesting that D603 is on ECS duties, presumably bound for Old Oak Common. The loco probably arrived on an up express, then

after release of its train, it moved light engine across to an adjacent platform and took that train out as ECS.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Happy new year, still trying my best to keep this thread ticking over, but fellow hydraulic fans keep outbidding me on eBay!

This one will need a bit of our collective expertise, it's labelled D7019 at Gloucester in 1973.

It's certainly not D7019 as the headboard clips can confirm, so which one is it? Can anyone confirm it is Gloucester?

Edit : thanks to rmwebber input it's confirmed as D7098 at Taff vale sidings near Cardiff Canton in 1973

Neil

post-6925-0-88930300-1547072652_thumb.png

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil

The flood lights dont look right for the Gloucester Horton Road footy ground - they were on the stand roof rather than on pylons as per photo

The plot thickens....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Looking at that loco - no numbers, wheel rims look rusty - is it out of traffic somewhere off piste ? Looks like sidings between diverging running lines....

Not much by way of clues - what does that sign over the fence say - is it "Golden" ?

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

No definitely not bath road, I'm struggling to think of anywhere with a football ground that close to the railway,my first thought was East Usk but I can't remember somerton park ever looking like that.

Perhaps that would be the angle to go from though - find a football (or rugby) ground next to the railway

• RMweb Premium

Not much by way of clues - what does that sign over the fence say - is it "Golden" ?

Phil

It could be "Golden" - perhaps Golden Shred. The lettering style looks consistent with that, but that would unfortunately not be much help with identifying the location.

I'm pretty sure there's nowhere in Bristol that looks like that.

Can we be sure it's the Western Region? Were any Hymeks cut up anywhere other than Swindon?

Could the floodlights be illuminating something other than a sports ground?

Edited by Andy Kirkham

Happy new year, still trying my best to keep this thread ticking over, but fellow hydraulic fans keep outbidding me on eBay!

This one will need a bit of our collective expertise, it's labelled D7019 at Gloucester in 1973.

It's certainly not D7019 as the headboard clips can confirm, so which one is it? Can anyone confirm it is Gloucester?

Neil

attachicon.gifIMG_0868.PNG

Cardiff Canton that's Ninian Park behind it could be 7073 or 7075 so I can make out.

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A quick google search on D7073 and D7075 shows that D7075 had that fingerprint cab scar.

So it's most probably D7075 at Canton- less than 24 hours turnaround chaps, well done ;)

Will need to check withdrawal dates next.

Neil

No definitely not bath road, I'm struggling to think of anywhere with a football ground that close to the railway,my first thought was East Usk but I can't remember somerton park ever looking like that.

Perhaps that would be the angle to go from though - find a football (or rugby) ground next to the railway

I have a pic on my laptop with a '37 leaving East Usk yard . 

It does look similar but there were never houses that close to the yard , the buildings were always of an industrial nature .

It's D7098, and the location is Taff Vale Sidings, adjacent to Ninian Park Platform just west of Canton depot; where, over the years many locos (and at times DMUs) have been stored, or even abandoned.

The previous year, during the 1972 'Miners Strike' a large number of Class 37s were stored here, as were the first tranche of withdrawn Hymeks. In the late 1960s one or two of Cantons Cl.14s gravitated here, but as they were of more value ( through potential resale) they were usually kept on the sand house road at the rear of the servicing shed. Years later, many of the Cl.155 units were stored here after their opening / closing doors problems saw the class stored en-masse.
What we see in the background is the rear of the "Bob Bank" terrace of Cardiff City's Ninian Park, where I spent many, many hours......killing two birds with one stone, once, in 1977,watching us lose 0-2 to Everton in the FA Cup, whilst also watching the final pair of Westerns pass !

The sign that reads "Golden ...??" is on the end of what was the "Canton Stand"
BTW
Below, is my  slide of the loco, in the same place, care of my Kodak Instamatic .

The photo was taken on Saturday 15th September, 1973, when I was on my way to Ninian Park for a Cardiff City v Fulham fixture that ended 0-0

My good friend Brian Tucker (of this parish) also has a slide of D7098 at this location.....we may have been together at the time !.
Brian R

post-1599-0-68696100-1547159882_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Coincidentally Peter Brabham has just posted this https://flic.kr/p/2e96N98 . It couldn't be the same loco from the other side, could it?

[Edit] Peter evidently thinks it is as below it he posted a comment with this https://flic.kr/p/S3ZUzA

It's 7098

[Edit again] And there's this https://flic.kr/p/RVZBom

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's D7098, and the location is Taff Vale Sidings, adjacent to Ninian Park Platform just west of Canton depot; where, over the years many locos (and at times DMUs) have been stored, or even abandoned.

The previous year, during the 1972 'Miners Strike' a large number of Class 37s were stored here, as were the first tranche of withdrawn Hymeks. In the late 1960s one or two of Cantons Cl.14s gravitated here, but as they were of more value ( through potential resale) they were usually kept on the sand house road at the rear of the servicing shed. Years later, many of the Cl.155 units were stored here after their opening / closing doors problems saw the class stored en-masse.

What we see in the background is the rear of the "Bob Bank" terrace of Cardiff City's Ninian Park, where I spent many, many hours......killing two birds with one stone, once, in 1977,watching us lose 0-2 to Everton in the FA Cup, whilst also watching the final pair of Westerns pass !

The sign that reads "Golden ...??" is on the end of what was the "Canton Stand"

BTW

Below, is my  slide of the loco, in the same place, care of my Kodak Instamatic .

The photo was taken on Saturday 15th September, 1973, when I was on my way to Ninian Park for a Cardiff City v Fulham fixture that ended 0-0

My good friend Brian Tucker (of this parish) also has a slide of D7098 at this location.....we may have been together at the time !.

Brian R

Terrific Brian case closed :)

• Like 2

Neil, my notes for the time show I saw D7098 on 18/11/72 working 8A39 (House Coal to Acton IIRC) through Cardiff, then on 02/12/72 working 1Z18 Cardiff - Swindon, but not a "Footex". She was withdrawn that month. I recorded her first, at Taff Vale Sidings on 21/04/73, then 26/08/73 and so fearing the worst snapped her there on 15/09/73. I have no notes 're D7098 after that date.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I managed to secure one slide in the latest Ebay battle of the pigs-banks, but I am very pleased to acquire this one. 

D826 at Newquay. The slide mount says Sep69. 

2019-07-10-0007.jpg.4c3cd4d0b47257316a32c46d1f1d9082.jpg

• Like 15