siltec

As for TT, the situation is different. Manufacturers would essentially be starting with a blank sheet as mass-market TT to British outline ceased production in the mid-60s.  There's no point in carrying on with that coarse scale/mismatched gauge paradigm; it would be better to take advantage of current continental mechanisms and track rather than advocating (as some do) a completely new wider gauged track standard, which would eliminate the "space saving" advantages of 12mm TT.

But I don't really see ANY major manufacturer biting the British outline TT bullet in these parlous times!

Just so everyone who reads this topic is aware, I started a new thread in support of this very subject;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107545-1120th-scale/?p=2179253

Sadly, I fear I must agree with your final statement as the numbers of potential modellers are going to be pretty small, at best.

Cheers,

John.

Simon Kohler believed there was a demand for it, to the extent of preparing an in-depth five year plan and presenting it to the Hornby Board, putting his own reputation and position on the line.

That's evidence enough for me.

If you are so convinced you could do it yourself, then, there's obviously money to be made from British RTR TT... Or perhaps Hornby were right... Who knows! ;)

... Or perhaps Hornby were right...

Let's be frank, this is probably the case. Personally (and as the person who started the Railway Modeller comment piece thread in the 3mm scale section of this website a few weeks ago) I would LOVE to see one of the major manufacturers 'go for' TT, whether that is at 3mm scale or 1:120. However nothing I have subsequently read or heard has convinced by that it is anything more than a pipe-dream to be honest.

I think it is sad, as the scale seems to have so many practical benefits, but clearly a commercial reality.

So...

'SHOULD Hornby re-introduce TT?' I'd love them too and would be a willing 'scale-hopper' overnight!

'WILL Hornby re-introduce TT?' Quite frankly no. They have considered it and rejected it. I don't know whether there is anything more to say!!

David

'WILL Hornby re-introduce TT?' Quite frankly no. They have considered it and rejected it. I don't know whether there is anything more to say!!

I'm not sure SK would agree that Hornby really "considered" it.

This is what he said :

"Having completed my range, costings and marketing plans I had to wait for the right opportunity to approach my CEO so that I could present what I considered to be some fresh and challenging thoughts. As it happened a brief window of opportunity did open up but was quickly slammed shut when talking about a new scale and a totally new range of model railways was deemed far too radical. In instances like this timing is all and my timing could not have been more off. The problems or the negative reaction to my new scale related to the ongoing situation in obtaining ‘00’ product from the Chinese suppliers.

There was also the preoccupation with Hornby preparing product for the 2012 Olympics, not to mention the propensity of Hornby to be veering towards introducing various new toy ranges. When all these elements were added together it meant that the climate for models not to mention new scales was just too much for many at Hornby to absorb. Being blunt, I do not believe that there was anyone sitting around the table during my aborted presentation who understood the world of model railways or had the vision to see where the Hornby brand was going or indeed could go. "

(my bold)

The problems or the negative reaction to my new scale related to the ongoing situation in obtaining ‘00’ product from the Chinese suppliers.

In his view, I'm sure Hornby would argue that it was a step into the dark and an expensive and risky one at that...  His comment "Fresh and challenging thoughts" says it all... (My bold!) Management speak for taking a risk... OK if a business has lots of spare money that they could afford to lose, but not otherwise... ;)

• RMweb Gold

It shouldn't entirely be forgotten that 00 manufacturers are rapidly running out of subjects to make models of.

Really? Someone ought to tell that to Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol, DJM, Oxford etc as they seem to continue to churn out models that people are lapping up year after year. Clearly they are wasting their time.  :scratchhead:

Really? Someone ought to tell that to Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol, DJM, Oxford etc as they seem to continue to churn out models that people are lapping up year after year.

All of them Adams Radials.................. ;)

Seriously, note how many good 2014 and 2015 new Hornby and Baccy locos went straight to the bargain shelf when the mandatory price freeze period expired.

Most of the subjects left in OO are really only good for one production run and some would fail to sell even that small number.

Every one of the locos I bought last year ended up in the bargain basement at considerably less than I paid. That's not good for anyone.

One question;- If TT gauge was dropped by a major British rtr manufacturer before N gauge really established itself, what makes you think it would succeed now ??

Sorry if this scenario has already arised, and I'm repeating it :-)

• RMweb Gold

One question;- If TT gauge was dropped by a major British rtr manufacturer before N gauge really established itself, what makes you think it would succeed now ??

50 subsequent years of economic growth and a larger customer group with a larger disposable income.  All those baby boomers didn't have any money in 1964.  They do now!

Also, production costs are lower and consequently, so are the economically viable quantities.

12mm gauge track is already available, so we're only really talking about investing in tooling rolling stock, not track as well, as Tri-ang did.

Moot point point though as I can't see anybody doing it.

• RMweb Premium

I think you will find the customer group is very much smaller.  The potential group might be bigger because there is a larger population, but those with an interest in model trains has diminished greatly. 

I cite an MRC review of the 1970s which  announced a "limited edition" re-release of the former Triang  Rocket with coaches of a mere 3000 sets - "order now to avoid disappointment"!

Today I would suggest that a run of 3000 would be  a bread and butter release 

In the 1960's Triang produced in the tens of thousands, now your very lucky if production is 3000. I know the internet has done untold damage, but also there were many more model shops around selling model railways. Wish, and hope, I'm wrong but I just can't see the demand for TT being viable.

Archived