Bachmann Blue Pullman

BobM

• RMweb Premium

Strange, sorry.  Doesn't work when I click it either, yet if I go to the picture and copy the link, it's the same.  Try here (should be the first picture in the list) https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=blue+pullman+scrapyard&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB762GB762&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwid9efptL7YAhUPLFAKHSm6BPgQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=615#imgrc=FshQ0ZQfjfZe8M:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that link, two pictures down just provided another livery variant..

No sign of jumper cables or cut out buffer beams on this Grey with Blue Pullman.. or is this a Western one ?

http://www.philt.org.uk/keyword/blue%20pullman;swansea/

Although fitted with multiple working..did they ever work in multiple ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

No sign of jumper cables or cut out buffer beams on this Grey with Blue Pullman.. or is this a Western one ?

http://www.philt.org.uk/keyword/blue%20pullman;swansea/

I think that is a Western one.

Although fitted with multiple working..did they ever work in multiple ?

I believe the Bristol Pullman was often a 12-car using both MR sets until about 1971. I haven't been able to find any conclusive photos though. Pics of the MR units on the WR are plentiful enough but they often don't show enough of the train to tell if it is one unit or 2.

As nobody else has reported on doing this conversion, it looks like you may be setting a precedent. I expect either nobody else wants to do it because it will be inaccurate in many ways, or they haven't started because they are waiting for someone else to bite the bullet and show them how! Maybe you should be showing everyone else how to do it, not be the one asking the questions?

You could indeed be right!  There was a reference in this conversation to someone who knew someone who had done it and I recall seeing a post a long time ago (possibly not on this forum) from someone who had sorted the wiring so maybe not the first.  I'll let you know how I get on :no:    

Reverse Livery Pullman: I hope this is not solely available as a digital trainset.   :nono:

Would not want to have to fork out for another digital system just to get the Pullman in this livery, could be a deal breaker! 

Edited by Opelsi

Reverse Livery Pullman: I hope this is not solely available as a digital trainset.   :nono:

Would not want to have to fork out for another digital system just to get the Pullman in this livery, could be a deal breaker! 

Chances are a couple of the major box-shifters might offer them separated from the train packs.

I am wondering how many people with larger layouts will order two of the 6-car sets for multiple operation.

Only those who have bottomless wallets, and are prepared to renumber one set.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I should think if one has a layout large enough to accommodate a 12-car train without it looking ridiculous (it'll need a few really good long straights to do it justice), I should think the cost would be of little consequence. I'm sure we'll see it happen on large layouts at exhibitions.

Chances are a couple of the major box-shifters might offer them separated from the train packs.

Only listed as a digital train set, complete with a Dynamis Ultima DCC system and RailController software package.

Manufacture's recommended retail price £949.45.

I can see box shifters and individuals doing split sets, just like what happens on the continent with the MultiMaus and z21 train sets.

If the Dynamis can be sold for around £200+ after a box shifter price of around £810, that still leaves the Pullman costing around £600.

• RMweb Gold

So in the light of todays announcement should this thread be renamed? Hee hee

A 12 car sound fitted rake did appear in Blue at the Newport Neon show on Abbotswood a few years ago - I don't have a photo unfortunately!

Phil

Hopefully Bachmann will listen and revisit this for we DC only dinosaurs .......................

• RMweb Gold

Reverse Livery Pullman: I hope this is not solely available as a digital trainset. :nono:

I agree. It would be a deal breaker. I have a DCC system why would I want another one.

One thing to note about the 6-car sets in grey/blue is that they only ran as six-car sets in that livery between early 1970 when they were overhauled and early Autumn of 1971. The WR carriage workings show the Bristol Pullman reverting to an 8-car set from October 1971. After that time, the 6-car sets were split up and the WR ended up with four hybrid 8-car sets, two standard except for one power car from a 6-car and two that were 4-cars from a 6-car set and 4 from an 8-car set. One of these was a regular on the Bristol Pullman.

Happy New Year Guys....

Amazing this thread I began nearly three years ago is still running, love the way that it has developed and prompted the 'discussion' that it has, after my initial request for info....

I now can see how silly a Pullman would look on my Cambrian Street layout the way that it has developed from its initial concept....!

Pleased the thread is still running though...

Cheers and best regards to all...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Just seen the Western Pullman on Hatton's site.  Never thought I'd live to see a price of over £800 for RTR......

I must admit that I find the decision to package it this way really odd. I didn't immediately realise it included a DCC controller. 

Would people really want to pay over £800 if they were thinking of an initial switch to DCC?

Those of us who already have DCC are unlikely to want to switch control systems.

I would have loved to have the reverse livery, but £800+ will not be appearing in my train saving account anytime soon.

How much was the original?

• Like 1

Well, the price of the Bachmann one must be getting close to what BR paid for theirs by now.

If you mean the original batch, I paid £280 for mine.

That is much cheaper than I expected (based on the current price of the reverse livery), but aligns with my APT-E purchase. 

Does anyone know what further modifications would be needed to make this the 8-car WR version? 

Have a look at RAILCAR.co.uk

The image attached is of the floor plan of an 8 car set, although it does indicate what carriage types are used in the set.

http://www.railcar.co.uk/images/blue-pullman/plan.jpg

http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/blue-pullman/type-02

You can also look at the carriage diagrams, on the side menu is the carriage types. Look at the WR labelled ones (e.g. WR motor car) and you'll be able to see what modifications you will need to make.

That is much cheaper than I expected (based on the current price of the reverse livery), but aligns with my APT-E purchase. 

Seemed a lot at the time (2012) but looks a bargain now.