Bachmann Blue Pullman

BobM

But looking at it another way if they did, say, 1,000

I wonder if this one might even be as low as their magic 512 (or whatever it is).

It certainly will represent a lot of turnover for the company for a single item - very much a lot of eggs in one basket. (As a six car unit, even 500 is a total of 3,000 units to manufacture and sell.) We and they know that the product itself is a winner. So long as the demand is there for this premium item it will work out for them.

At least they made the right livery choice.

This will really test the depth of the N gauge market as well. We've seen a lot of interest in N gauge fixed formation trains in the last 12 months and there seems to be a higher percentage of contemporary modellers in N gauge than 00. Will they spring for this too?

• RMweb Gold

As someone who missed the first release and regret missing out on one, I am pleased to see they are producing them again

Pricing will be interesting as the recent special edition train packs have, I think, been some of the best value products from Bachmann. The Railway Children pack with loco, 2 coaches & unique station building is 'only' £135 RRP. The ambulance pack and even the Highlander DDC sound train set are similarly good value. (Some retailers are selling the individual items for a combined price far in excess of the RRP)

Although Bachmann have been clear about price rises and the reasons behind them I am hopeful that the increase for this new edition compared to the last will be quite reasonable

Could this be a reworking of what started out originally as yellow ended sets that remain unsold,possibly only needing new end car body mouldings.

I believe that the previous sets released by Bachmann carried the numbers 60090/90091 on the power cars of the blue ended units and 60092/60093 on the yellow ended ones. If the new packs are reworks (or even if not), then this would be an opportunity for anyone with the first issue "blue" set to acquire the "other" unit. A limited number of takers for a second unit I'm sure, but together with the added goodies, the alternate set of running numbers might just further tempt those with the means. In any case I doubt Bachmann will have much difficulty in shifting these new train packs. 

RP

I wouldn't mind one. My first train set was the Triang Blue Pullman with Super 4 track. I do worry that because the new one is a special set it may be very dear. I still quite like the old Triang coaches as they were good for their  time.

Given Bachmann's recent policy of announcing wagons' in one livery and delivering them in a completely different one - see Grain wagons thread, I'm banking on this release turning up as a Reverse Grey / Blue liveried one............................... :no:

Given Bachmann's recent policy of announcing wagons' in one livery and delivering them in a completely different one - see Grain wagons thread, I'm banking on this release turning up as a Reverse Grey / Blue liveried one............................... :no:

Now that is wishful thinking !

Hattons has an estimate of £295.00 and listed as analogue 

Not sure if mention but comes with an exclusive bound history of the Pullman, pack of Pullman stewards and train crew, reproduction menu card and a fine art print. 

• 1 year later...

Are these ok to run on DC only, i have read conflicting views, Bachmann say you have to keep the decoders for

the lighting to work, i thought you could just fit the blanking plates like any other DCC ready and they work,

one sold recently with these fitted and stated used on DC Analogue lights working, i don't want to purchase one

till this is clarified, thanks.

Are these ok to run on DC only, i have read conflicting views, Bachmann say you have to keep the decoders for

the lighting to work, i thought you could just fit the blanking plates like any other DCC ready and they work,

one sold recently with these fitted and stated used on DC Analogue lights working, i don't want to purchase one

till this is clarified, thanks.

I run one on my analog layout and I haven't done anything to it at all - it is as supplied with the DCC decoders in place. What would be the point of removing them? (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

You get the blanking plugs so they must be fitted for DC, any way my controllers are feedback so it is wise to fit them, has any one fitted these.

Most decoders will run happily on DC if so configured in CV29. What is the problem leading to the decoder needing to be removed?

• RMweb Gold

I run one on my analog layout and I haven't done anything to it at all - it is as supplied with the DCC decoders in place. What would be the point of removing them? (CJL)

I did initially.....but after a couple of minutes running,it ran slow ,erratically and then stopped.I believe others encountered this problem on DC analogue. Removing the chip from both power cars and fitting the blanking pins provided was a straightforward job following instructions from Ray ( Silver Sides on this forum ) and the Bachmann instruction sheet itself. Look back the the original thread on this model which I started moons ago ( 2012 ? )

I had no further difficulties on analogue control. Sorry Chris,in my case at least,there was a point in removing them.

Most decoders will run happily on DC if so configured in CV29. What is the problem leading to the decoder needing to be removed?

Ian, if you run a DCC chipped loco. on a  track with, ( deep inhale), Relco or similar track cleaners it is a spectacular one-off event! I have used Relco for nearly 40 years, very effective on my traditional DC set-up.

I removed the decoders from my original BP., and it continues to perform well.

I never wanted them, but at 235GBP posted from a certain steel city retailer, I think I got a bargain!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

Ian, if you run a DCC chipped loco. on a  track with, ( deep inhale), Relco or similar track cleaners it is a spectacular one-off event! I have used Relco for nearly 40 years, very effective on my traditional DC set-up.

I removed the decoders from my original BP., and it continues to perform well.

I never wanted them, but at 235GBP posted from a certain steel city retailer, I think I got a bargain!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Well aware of that, and I removed the Relcos from my layout in 1997 before converting to DCC. But the OP doesn't mention Relcos, or anything but DC.

• 2 months later...