Bachmann Blue Pullman

BobM

Midland Pullman takes to the rails again

Bachmann Europe Plc has released its beautifully presented Midland Pullman Train Packs in both OO and N Scales.

These packs complement the previous releases as they represented the first of the two trains which saw service between London St. Pancras and Manchester Central in the 1960s.

The new production runs concentrate on the second train to carry the distinctive blue and white livery of the Midland Pullman comprising of coaches (A) M60092 + (B) M60732 + © M60742 + (D) M60743 + (E) M60733 + (F) M60093.

30-425_1.jpg

The special collector’s edition features a book outlining the train, written especially for Bachmann by the prolific railway author Kevin Robertson, a pack of Pullman stewards and train crew figures, a reproduction menu card and fine art print of the artwork featured on the box.

The pack is available from Bachmann dealers as follows:

Bachmann Branchline Midland Pullman OO Scale Train Pack (30-425) at a Recommended Retail Price of £599.95. OO Scale DCC users will be required to fit 2 x 21 PIN decoders.

Graham Farish Midland Pullman N Scale (370-425) at a Recommended Retail Price of £399.95. N Scale DCC users will be required to fit 2 x 6PIN decoders.

370-425.jpg

For further information, please contact any Bachmann dealer.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting that the DCC chips are extra this time.....

Yes I would have those get for an rrp of £599 they would have at least included 2 chips in the box.

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann are in business to eat. The first run had rave reviews, sold very well, so, quite apart from escalating costs in China, why not put a premium on the rerun? It's a business, I'm afraid. 

I'd be surprised if they sold very many at that RRP but seeing some of the prices that are paid on that auction site I suppose those with deep pockets will be interested.

I know my pockets are deep but they have holes in the end of them  :this:

If anyone is fortunate enough to be able to pay such money I hope they will let us know what the models are like.

I'd be surprised if they sold very many at that RRP but seeing some of the prices that are paid on that auction site I suppose those with deep pockets will be interested.

I know my pockets are deep but they have holes in the end of them  :this:

If anyone is fortunate enough to be able to pay such money I hope they will let us know what the models are like.

Discounted here - http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/Bachmann-30-425-Midland-Pullman-Train-Pack/

(Other discounting retailers are available - I just happen to be on their email list for new arrivals)

• RMweb Premium

Indeed the de-facto Bachmann SRP = published SRP - 15% since most of the on-line dealers at least apply the 15% discount which Bachmann apparently allow for the initial release period. No doubt there are shops that do not apply this discount but I'm not sure why people would pay the full SRP when it is so easy to find shops that knock 15% off.

On the model, it is beautiful, despite the excellence of the Rapido APT-E I think this remains the nicest passenger tain model offered to UK OO modellers outside of very expensive high end brass efforts. Expensive? Yes, but its a quality product. Whether it is worth the price is a personal judgement decision based on the perceived value of the item. To be honest it is more than I'd pay but I also understand it is a good enough model that others will consider that it is worth the cost.

Bachmann are in business to eat. The first run had rave reviews, sold very well, so, quite apart from escalating costs in China, why not put a premium on the rerun? It's a business, I'm afraid. 

I don't disagree with you but do they need caviar, lobster and Dom Perignon !  

I don't disagree with you but do they need caviar, lobster and Dom Perignon !  

Oh yeah; the car park is full of Bentleys and Beemers when I visit. Please do get real and stop the jibes about price (it's getting very boring); it's not a business full of fat cats, just a lot of hard-working people who share a love of the hobby and who do read these pages.

All those manufacturers and retailers who employ staff will soon have to make contributions to Workplace Pensions; would you rather they didn't so you can have lower prices?

Yawn.

• Like 3

Indeed the de-facto Bachmann SRP = published SRP - 15% since most of the on-line dealers at least apply the 15% discount which Bachmann apparently allow for the initial release period. No doubt there are shops that do not apply this discount but I'm not sure why people would pay the full SRP when it is so easy to find shops that knock 15% off.On the model, it is beautiful, despite the excellence of the Rapido APT-E I think this remains the nicest passenger tain model offered to UK OO modellers outside of very expensive high end brass efforts. Expensive? Yes, but its a quality product. Whether it is worth the price is a personal judgement decision based on the perceived value of the item. To be honest it is more than I'd pay but I also understand it is a good enough model that others will consider that it is worth the cost.

As I said at the time, the BP set the standard for British RTR OO and N gauge trains. So far it's still way out there at the top of the tree IMHO and I cannot see anyone coming close to emulating the quality of these sets in any gauge, anytime soon.

Whether the British modelling public can justify its new cost (arguably still a bargain considering all else in the box) or not is a different matter, but the model's quality can never be in question.

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't implying that they do, it was tongue in cheek. Pricing is a huge concern for many people and not just in the hobby sector. Sorry if anyone was offended. 

Its more the fact that we have done this subject to death many, many, many times over what feels like hundreds of threads.

Having decided to not buy the first release of the Midland Pullman and subsequently been seduced into getting this one I am not disappointed with what I got for my money - (even if strictly speaking I don't need the 'extras' and would have been quite happy with a plain vanilla release like the first one with a slightly lower price).

• Like 6

I wasn't buying model railway stuff when the Blue Pullman came out and they'd all been sold by the point I realised I'd quite like one thank you very much. Therefore, I was delighted was it reappeared in Bachmann's catalogue and in true FOMO style placed my order. It arrived today. Not read the book yet, but the menu is a delight. Eggs and bacon or sausage and chips for tea! Class. A period piece with long forgotten beers on the menu and, hard to believe these days, listings of cigarettes....

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't buying model railway stuff when the Blue Pullman came out and they'd all been sold by the point I realised I'd quite like one thank you very much. Therefore, I was delighted was it reappeared in Bachmann's catalogue and in true FOMO style placed my order. It arrived today. Not read the book yet, but the menu is a delight. Eggs and bacon or sausage and chips for tea! Class. A period piece with long forgotten beers on the menu and, hard to believe these days, listings of cigarettes....

The best thing about a Blue Pullman high tea - on the Western ones at any rate - were the steak sandwiches, delectable.

• Like 3