Bachmann Blue Pullman

BobM

• RMweb Premium

Despite the endless jokes about the infamous BR ham sandwich I thought that restaurant services on BR were excellent and the full breakfast was a genuine British institution. Few things are as pleasant as a top quality hearty cooked breakfast served by an attentive steward as the world passes by your window outside.

• RMweb Gold

Despite the endless jokes about the infamous BR ham sandwich I thought that restaurant services on BR were excellent and the full breakfast was a genuine British institution. Few things are as pleasant as a top quality hearty cooked breakfast served by an attentive steward as the world passes by your window outside.

The only problem with that is,as I recall from my only trip on a Blue Pullman....Paddington to Snow Hill circa 1963.....is that such was the ride that it would be equally possible that your meal would end up on your lap.But you are right.The service was impeccable.The staff were heroic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rather pricey to get on the rails for us at £500 plus £200 for the sound chips...... even with retail inflation it makes APT-E look a bit of a bargain?

The APT-E doesn't look a bit of a bargain, it is an outright bargain. And I'd not hold my breath expecting future Rapido releases to match that pricing. In fairness to Bachmann the APT-E should be cheaper, it was built to pre-order only, sold via a single seller, Rapido had little commercial risk as Locomotion were the ones paying and Locomotion de-risked their involvement by taking in deposits and in some cases full payment long before the models were delivered. If they made 2000 and even if those 2000 all only paid the £50 deposit then that is £100,000 they received a year and more before delivering anything. That eases cash flow issues hugely. Bachmann are carrying their own risk, distributing through a dealer network and are not managing their cash flows by asking customers for payments well in advance of delivery. So it would be unreasonable to expect them to match the APT-E pricing. For all that, the APT-E was an absolute bargain I think.

• RMweb Premium

As I said at the time, the BP set the standard for British RTR OO and N gauge trains. So far it's still way out there at the top of the tree IMHO and I cannot see anyone coming close to emulating the quality of these sets in any gauge, anytime soon.

Whether the British modelling public can justify its new cost (arguably still a bargain considering all else in the box) or not is a different matter, but the model's quality can never be in question.

I'd agree with that, the Blue Pullman is an outstanding model and remains the benchmark. And by quite a margin.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As I said at the time, the BP set the standard for British RTR OO and N gauge trains. So far it's still way out there at the top of the tree IMHO and I cannot see anyone coming close to emulating the quality of these sets in any gauge, anytime soon.

Whether the British modelling public can justify its new cost (arguably still a bargain considering all else in the box) or not is a different matter, but the model's quality can never be in question.

I started the original thread ....now obsolete and locked....with the observation that this is the best r-t-r ever.I see no reason to change that ,some 4+ years later.I really thought we were done with quibbling over price.

If I needed one,I'd buy it now.Meanwhile I am happy I bought then...at a bargain price.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The price is what the price is. If people consider it is worth the money, then for them it is. If people consider it to be not worth the money then again, for them that is true. Cost and the perception of value are quite subjective and particular to an individual. Many "normals" would consider prices for Hornby Railroad to be outrageous never mind a model like the Blue Pullman. I have complete understanding of anybody that buys this set and has no regrets whatsoever for the simple reason that if you can afford something and it gives you pleasure then why not buy it and be happy? The cost of purchasing an item is very rarely based on a calculation of cost of production + cost of distribution + X%, things cost what they do for the most part because that is what people will pay for things. Which is fine. The thing that I have not liked about a lot of the model price increases is not so much the price increases but some of the arguments used to justify them.

However, on the Blue Pullman, it is superb and for anybody that thinks it offers good value (noting the difference between price and value) should just go for it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Despite the endless jokes about the infamous BR ham sandwich 

Did I ever tell the Hellman's story? Back in the '80s they ran a campaign poster for their product, noting that even a BR sandwich would taste better with Hellman's. Well, tee-hee. 

Sadly their Madison Avenue types had failed to talk internally with colleagues, as Hellman's already had a very nice contract with BR.....

• Like 2

I started the original thread ....now obsolete and locked....with the observation that this is the best r-t-r ever.I see no reason to change that ,some 4+ years later.I really thought we were done with quibbling over price.

If I needed one,I'd buy it now.Meanwhile I am happy I bought then...at a bargain price.

I’d agree with nearly all of that. Giving the two ends different addresses in order to mess around with the lights adds to the fun, then of course they’re run as a double header. All the same, I’m glad I don’t have to decide to buy, or not to buy, one at the present price!

• RMweb Gold
The best thing about a Blue Pullman high tea - on the Western ones at any rate - were the steak sandwiches, delectable.[/quote

Were they extra? 'Grilled steak' was on the Midland menu but was at a supplement

They were definitely inclusive in 2nd Class - and based on usual outside catering prices they alone were worth more than the cost of the supplement (but it was very thin cut steak ;)  ).

• RMweb Gold

The only problem with that is,as I recall from my only trip on a Blue Pullman....Paddington to Snow Hill circa 1963.....is that such was the ride that it would be equally possible that your meal would end up on your lap.But you are right.The service was impeccable.The staff were heroic.

Best ride for passengers was probably the 2nd Class area in the power cars; best ride of the lot was in the driving cab as for some reason (weight distribution?) it seemed to ride better than the other end of the same car

• RMweb Gold

Best ride for passengers was probably the 2nd Class area in the power cars; best ride of the lot was in the driving cab as for some reason (weight distribution?) it seemed to ride better than the other end of the same car

Thanks Mike....I'll remember that next time :jester:

They were definitely inclusive in 2nd Class - and based on usual outside catering prices they alone were worth more than the cost of the supplement (but it was very thin cut steak ;)  ).

3 and 6 extra - that's 17.5p?

Also I note the bread being "hovis" was a selling point!

post-22698-0-52323100-1464457321_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As I recall,I had the 'High Tea' ( whatever became of that ? ). The coffee took on an existence of its own as we crashed through Solihull.But how I yearn for the days of at seat catering when now we have to negotiate the irritation of the mobile trolley that passes for catering nowadays.Why ..when all it does is serve as an obstacle for passengers...sorry...customers....and serves rubbish at exhorbitant prices ?

• Like 1

The Stationmaster, on 28 May 2016 - 15:05, said:

Horrific - they were actually selling cigarettes (including Embassy - on a Pullman train  :O  ).

Yes they did and advertised them on their very own ashtrays..

post-6939-0-91612300-1464579415_thumb.jpgpost-6939-0-03118000-1464579455_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

When I visited HMCS Haida (a WWII tribal class destroyer preserved in Canada), people asked "why don't you have sounds coming through the radio room which date from the era instead of tuning into today's radio?"

The answer was "Because back then, radio stations were full of adverts for cigarettes. Are you sure you want us to replicate that?"

Time's have changed, shame a midland pullman was never preserved.

I suggest a visit to Ian Allen in Birmingham very competitive price if anyone still wants one. Picked up mine last week from them - fabulous service as always too along with it.

Not connected just a very happy customer of theirs!

• RMweb Gold