Bachmann Blue Pullman

BobM

• RMweb Gold

This prototype Wolseley could be purchased new for only slightly more than the current model of the train in the background of this advertisement;

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1497084511773.jpg

Ah but according to this

https://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/relativevalue.php?use%5B%5D=CPI&use%5B%5D=NOMINALEARN&year_early=1962&pound71=729&shilling71=&pence71=&amount=729&year_source=1962&year_result=2017

"In 2016, the relative value of £729 0s 0d from 1962 ranges from £13,460.00 to £48,140.00"

Cheers,

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A WR set would be nice, and, given the number of people modelling that region and period, you'd have thought a no brainer, but of course being 8 cars it would a hefty whack in the pocket.  The driving cars were completely different, being seconds with 3 side windows like the train in the Wolseley advert (a Wolseley 1500 wasn't all that unreliable for it's day), and there were 2x full second saloons as well, so Baccy would have to put up completely new tooling on a fairly significant scale.

• 4 weeks later...

Why would they do that? It would be incorrect.

You may not like it Andy Y but for me it would be better than having to fork out more money on a Bristol Pullman if Bachmann decides to do one at a later date. Besides it's not prototypical in one respect. To be a true and accurate modelling gauge it should be 3.5mm-1ft not 4mm-1ft. But many people maybe you included are more than prepared to overlook that. 

You may not like it Andy Y but for me it would be better than having to fork out more money on a Bristol Pullman if Bachmann decides to do one at a later date. Besides it's not prototypical in one respect. To be a true and accurate modelling gauge it should be 3.5mm-1ft not 4mm-1ft. But many people maybe you included are more than prepared to overlook that. 

.... but how many 'me's are there out there - I seriously doubt that there's enough to justify a run of extra cars.

Solution? Ebay, and a search on Kitmaster Blue Midland Pullman.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Or purchase two Midland pullmans, make up an eight car set and sell the surpus four car set on E bay.

That would be a higher quality model than old Kitmaster kits.

Edited by Colin_McLeod

Or purchase two Midland pullmans, make up an eight car set and sell the surpus four car set on E bay.

That would be a highet quality model than old Kitmaster kits.

True, but faulcon1 is clearly cost conscious, and these old Kitmaster kits can produce very nice models. My BP is entirely Kitmaster, built and motorised by me using Black Beetles.

.... and is there a market for four-car BPs?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

True, but faulcon1 is clearly cost conscious, and these old Kitmaster kits can produce very nice models. My BP is entirely Kitmaster, built and motorised by me using Black Beetles.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

if the price is right there's a market for anything.

Might just find someone who doesn't have space for a 6-car unit but does for 4

• RMweb Gold

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Possibly a larger market than for 8-cars, which some seem to be hoping for.

In that case John why are you suggesting Kitmaster in preference to additional modern Bachmann coaches?

Colin,

See #210.

There are some very discerning modellers who will buy Kitmaster Mk.1s in preference to the latest Hornby or Bachmann ones.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe John but if Bachmann DID sell additional coaches I would make my BP up to an eight car set and never mind any inaccuracies.

It would make a good companion to my other 8 car BP (Six Triang plus two Kitmaster kitchen cars) which will shortly be repainted in umber and cream.

Maybe John but if Bachmann DID sell additional coaches I would make my BP up to an eight car set and never mind any inaccuracies.

It would make a good companion to my other 8 car BP (Six Triang plus two Kitmaster kitchen cars) which will shortly be repainted in umber and cream.

Each to their own !!

Fortunately, I don't believe that there are sufficient modellers of like mind to justify Bachmann producing single BP coaches.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

As Bachmann don't sell individual cars to be added to their existing (non-BP) DMU sets just so a few modellers can create an unprototypical DMU set, why should it be any different with the BP? Bachmann produced a superb-quality complete train unit to be opeated as a set, not simply selling the individual cars to be made up into one (and therefore not knowing what quantites to make of each type for those who want more, or less cars than made up the real train). If you're that desperate for extra cars to create an inaccurate 8-car set, just buy another set, and either keep the rest or sell it on to someone who wants a 4-car set (but it'd look a bit odd with only the two kitchen trailer cars though).

Edited by Coppercap

Hmmm

That's exactly what I suggested in post 209.

Cue repetition of subsequent replies lol.

Hmmm.  that maybe but I would want to try and find out first to see if its quite as simple as adding additional cars particularly for DCC users.  The 6 car has to be connected up in a particular orientation and adding one or more cars might mean the loss of some functions.  I say "might".

..............and conversely with regards to your suggestion of being left with a 4 car set.  I'm sure its fine on DC.   DCC.....i'd do your homework and try it before selling the 4 spares car on.  

Edited by ThaneofFife

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am looking for a wall mounted display cabinet for my 6 car set,does anyone know of a manufacture for such.

I have checked on Picture Pride’s site but they don’t appear to have an off the shelf one although I know they make to order.

Cabinet only needs to be large enough for this unit.

Thanks in advance for any information.

The Picture Pride display cases are the best around in my humble opinion.

They have given me years of hassle & DUST free operation, and have never faded, nor fallen apart.

I'm sure that if you give Ron or his lovely wife a call and explain your requirements, they would be sure to provide your cabinet as soon as possible.

They really are very helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

No connection etc, other than a very happy customer indeed.

Your Blue Pullman would look stunning, mounted on lengths of track in a wall mounted display case.

Cheers, Paul

I am looking for a wall mounted display cabinet for my 6 car set,does anyone know of a manufacture for such.

I have checked on Picture Pride’s site but they don’t appear to have an off the shelf one although I know they make to order.

Cabinet only needs to be large enough for this unit.

Lidl periodically do glass-fronted display cabinets for around £55 that will hold a decent quantity of stock. The typically sell them a couple of times a year so it worth keeping an eye out in the new year.