Graham Farish Class 50

35 Ark Royal

Hi i used to model in 00 gauge but a house move forced me to model in N.On the plus side this means i have a decent layout.However on the negative side as i am a class 50 fan i have to use the Graham Farish Class 50 which while an ok model is showing it's age.I have four in my fleet at the momment, but only 3 sets of chassis to run them on. They are in numerical Order.

50004 St Vincent Large Logo Bachmann Farish Model *

50033 Glorious Large logo Super detailed body with etched plates *

50035 Ark Royal RNSE Super Detailed and complete respary by Mercig Studios on Farish Chassis (China)

500149 Defiance Railfreight Two Tone Grey Bachmann Farish Model

All for my layout Westside

I would like to know when Bachmann Farish is going to wake up and update this model to super detail with working lights etc to the same standard as the class 47/57/60/66 models.Of which i am sure the Class 50 is a much more popular prototype.

So does anyone know if Bachmann Farish have plans in the future to update this model.I would like to super detail no 4 and 149, but am loathe to do this as if model is updated and i have spent?????? on the models it will probably mean selling theese at a loss.

So will probably keep them as they are until Bachmann Farish or maybe Hornby ener the n gauge market by releasing this model or Dapol competeing with Bachmann Farish.

So whats in your fleet? and do you think model should either be updated or a new release from another manufacturer?.

Will try and post some pics of my small Westside Fleet.

The Farish 50 is definately one that needs to be retired and replaced with an all new model - It really looks crude although the later ones with the china chassis do run beautifully - I quite like those no-nonsense chassis!

Farish have the new class 37 bogie innards that could be re-used so thats a small starting point i guess. The Hornby 00 gauge model leaves a lot to be desired - so perhaps N gauge could give us the definative class 50 model. If it was accurate - id have trouble resisting buying 50 of them!!

tfn

Jon

I suspect that this isn't on Farish's priority list as it's not a model they produce in OO. I may of course be proven wrong in a week or two's time when the 2010 line up are announced...

We might of course see this taken as a target of opportunity by Dapol (like the HST, 86, 153, 156, Brittania etc) but then that's just speculation.

If Farish announce a new Deltic however, then that would shift things in favour of them announcing a new 50 down the line (the current Deltic and 50 share a chassis for a good prototypical reason) but this is entirely in the realms of speculation.

The new brochure and announcements are due in March so it's not long to wait to find out what's on the planned list. However, I would guess that any new range products announced will have to wait until after we get the stuff we're all aware of that are either promised or in an advanced state of development; class 17, class 70, class 101, Black 5, 3MT and 4MT.

G.

• RMweb Premium

I would like to know when Bachmann Farish is going to wake up and update this model to super detail with working lights etc to the same standard as the class 47/57/60/66 models.Of which i am sure the Class 50 is a much more popular prototype.

So does anyone know if Bachmann Farish have plans in the future to update this model.So whats in your fleet? and do you think model should either be updated or a new release from another manufacturer?.

Have patience my friend! I'm pretty sure if bachfar retooled all their diesels upto the 37/47/60 etc standards and released them all at the same time then you would be moaning that they you couldn't afford all the ones you wanted and missed out on some that sold out because you didn't have the funds for everything when released!

I personally prefer bachfars new approach of only announcing models they have tooled up and working so they can be released in the next 6-12 months, rather than how they used to do things and there could be a 3-4 year wait, or more!

I feel Dapol are now slipping into this habbit, having announced 'the magnificent 8' (or was it 7?!) which were all said to be at a point that they could be released within 60 days, this announcement was in october 2008 and since then we have only had the 153, which were released over a year later, and to my knowledge no-one has even seen a protype of any of the others since then, only a few cad/cams here and there.

In my mind the only reason these models were announced when they were was to 'scare' Bachmann off from producing them themselves, as Dapol recognised they are popular prototypes which will sell well.

So to answer you're question, if i wanted a class 50, which i don't, i would much rather wait for a Bachmann update as it seems Dapol have a LOT on their to do list at the minute! And as said before, who knows, we may see a prototype at the start of march!

best regards, Richard

• RMweb Gold

I have seen the Farish 50s detailled into something really special. The biggest drawback is the front end, which is too flat. If this is laminated with a layer of plasticard and separate details added, the difference is huge.

Like a lot of Farish locos of that period, there is a great model just waiting to get out with a little TLC.

I'll have to get a piccy of the 50 that I own that's been detailed by Richard Parker with separate handrails, end pipes and lifting rings - superb!

Apart from 35 i used to have a super detailed one which i bought of ebay The loco was 50024 Vanguard in arguably the 50's most popular livery Large Logo with a black roof and the red bufferbeams.Added with the snowploughs the pictures i saw of the loco on ebay it looked Superb (if you pardon the pun)However when i got the loco i was not overthrilled as close up it looked like some of the painting was done by hand and you could see the remains of an old printed nameplate.The bonus was the working headlight.However she was such a poor runner that i had to sell her on at a loss.If paintwork had been up to scratch i would have got a Bachmann Farish chassis for her.

Having had my hands of in my view Hornby;s all singing and dancing model it is something of a shock to have the Farish offering.I must praise Mercig Studios who have done a fantastic job on Ark Royal which realy makes my favourite loco more realistic and pride of my fleet.

I have heard people complaining about the new Hornby 50 saying they have not captured the front of the loco correctly.

To me however compared to the Farish one, the Hornby one is a good model as it has working lights fan etc.

The main problem is when i put St Vincent next to Ark Royal no 4 looks more basic and toy like, I could have the loco detailed to the same stndard as Ark Royal and Glorious which would look better.The problem is if one of the maufacturers announces they are doing an all new class 50 model then it will be difficult to sell my super detailed Farish ones for the ???????? i will have spent on them.So i feel it is better to leave them as they come out of the box so when i have to sell them the loss won't be so great.

I know there is CJM but although loco;s come with a new Saturn Chassis the price tag of ??395 i think way over the top and defintely too expensive.

While you wuld have a super detailed model for the price you paid you would have no working lights!!!!

• RMweb Premium

So does anyone know if Bachmann Farish have plans in the future to update this model.I would like to super detail no 4 and 149, but am loathe to do this as if model is updated and i have spent?????? on the models it will probably mean selling theese at a loss.

I've heard rumours that a new class 50 will be anounced by Farish this year so maybe there will be a new model in the next 18 months.

However, why wait? It's always more fun playing trains with stock you've messed about with so get the ones you have detailed. There are no rules that say anything you've done some work on has to be sold and replaced with a new model.

I've detailled three of the earlier Bach-Far class 47s (two in large logo blue, a third in Intercity Swallow) and non will be replaced with the newer models (which will only add to the fleet!) despite the fact the new locos are better models.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi Steven B interesting post and i might decide to do just this.However if you are right and the rumours are true could not live with that Ark Royal and if 35 was not one of the chosen ones i would have to get a new model renumbered as soon as possible.A question i would like to ask is don't the inferior ones although highly detailed look a little odd next to your new models?

To end when did Farish last produce thier existing model? Am i right in saying that 50037 Illustrious in BR blue and 50017 in Crimson LMS were last to be produced?

Also the Illustrious model is completely wrong as the only lcos outshopped in original blue refurished condition were 50001/006/013/017(sandboxes in situ)/019/and 047.

So who on earth did thier research at Farish Bachmann when that was released??

They seem to copy the OO ones, including unfortunately the OO mistakes, even ones well reported before the N product is released. The 24 roof and 5013 numbering being another fine example of that sort of screwup.

(If we have to wait longer for them in N we could at least get ones with the bugs fixed 8))

• 1 year later...

Hi all

My mind is turning to what seems to be an annual quandry about Class 50's in N!

What are peoples' views on whether or not Grafar (or even Dapol) will look to soon replace the ageing model that is currently produced on and off?

Over the last couple of years I've waited in anticpation as to whether an updated version is planned but unfortunately nothing has been forthcoming. I've always promised myself that in the absence on any news I'll take the plunge and order one from CJM, with the advantages of being able to have it detailed plus the saturn chassis which would lift it above the stock Farish verison.

I've taken the decision this year to force the issue with myself and will shortly put my current NSE 50 and accompanying rake of coaches on ebay.

Knowing my luck we'll hear nothing - I'll order one from Chris Marchant and then they'll be an announcement that will leave many of you delighted and me slightly benmused (but at least in the possesion of one of CJM's masterpieces in minature).

So, as I said above, any views? any rumours?

Paul

Well if you want a decent price for your current one in N then you sell now as firstly no-one has announced anything and secondly because there is nothing Network Southeast in the current catalogue.

Is Farish did announce a 50 in March then the value of what you have will plummet - remember the sudden surge in Post Office liveried Sorting coaches in N when the new ones were announced when before that you couldn't get them for love nor money.

Of course this is all on the assumption that at some point someone will do a 50, that said 50 will be in Network Southeast livery, there will be stock for it to haul and you are prepared to wait several months/years for it all to be available.

Well if you want a decent price for your current one in N then you sell now as firstly no-one has announced anything and secondly because there is nothing Network Southeast in the current catalogue.

Valid point!

Selling my current one is more about knocking me into some action in the event that a new one doesn't appear - total male logic, no common sense!! I'm extremely fortunate and for this particular course of action it's not so much about the money - as you may be able to tell given I'm considering a CJM model. But you are dead right!

Selling my current one is more about knocking me into some action in the event that a new one doesn't appear - total male logic, no common sense!! I'm extremely fortunate and for this particular course of action it's not so much about the money - as you may be able to tell given I'm considering a CJM model. But you are dead right!

Even if money isn't the motivation you should always aim to get the best value you can for what you currently have as it will reduce the outlay on any replacements whatever the source and leave more in your pocket or allow you an extra coach maybe.

If you do go for a CJM, make sure it has the improved front end including MU cables else you might end up with a standard Farish front end a la the 50149 image on the website which is the wrong shape.

• 2 weeks later...
My mind is turning to what seems to be an annual quandry about Class 50's in N!

What are peoples' views on whether or not Grafar (or even Dapol) will look to soon replace the ageing model that is currently produced on and off?

Over the last couple of years I've waited in anticpation as to whether an updated version is planned but unfortunately nothing has been forthcoming. I've always promised myself that in the absence on any news I'll take the plunge and order one from CJM, with the advantages of being able to have it detailed plus the saturn chassis which would lift it above the stock Farish verison.

I've taken the decision this year to force the issue with myself and will shortly put my current NSE 50 and accompanying rake of coaches on ebay.

I doubt there'll be a new class 50 from either Farish or Dapol this year; Dapol already have a heafty list of promises to be getting on with and they're no longer taking bets on a Farish class 101 and 03, and with a class 20, Tornado and standard/ type 5 kettle heavilly tipped. So expecting either of them to fit in a class 50 may be a bit optamistic.

Also I'm not sure whether CJM do any more than add details (and their Saturn chassis) to the standard Farish class 50 body and repaint. Perhaps someone can comment if they also correct the flatness of the front end.

However, you could have a bash yourself. I've been slowly upgrading one and added plasticard to the fronts under the cab windows to give that ledge that is missing, along with new window frames and wire handrails. It's not yet finished by a long way, but is fortunately starting to look more acceptable (IMO B) ). Further details are in the N'spirations magazine. Also if your accompanying rake of coaches are NSE liveried mk2s I'd recommend hanging on to them. I doubt a new version of them will be with us for some time.

post-33-0-89109200-1298373251_thumb.jpg

G.

Grahame

Your point is correct in respect of CJM not changing the profile of the front end, the detailing does however, in my view, pull ones attention away from the shortcomings of the current model.

Your 'bashed' version is looking a vast improvement already and if I had the time I'd be following your example (I have an unpainted shell acquired many years ago from Farish that would be perfect for such an exrecise!)

In respect of the coaches, yes I had decided to stick with them, I don't quite think I could stretch to a set of full repaints for those!

Paul

• 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

As the proposed Dapol 50 has seemingly been binned and there seems to be no sign of a new Farish version on the horizon either I have acquired a cheap second hand example as a placeholder.  Did Farish ever make these in unrefurbished condition with the depression in the roof or were all their releases refurbished ones?

• RMweb Premium

As the proposed Dapol 50 has seemingly been binned and there seems to be no sign of a new Farish version on the horizon either I have acquired a cheap second hand example as a placeholder. Did Farish ever make these in unrefurbished condition with the depression in the roof or were all their releases refurbished ones?

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately I would wager Farish probably don't have it pencilled in on account of how close the Dapol one was to production before the plug got pulled as they had CAD images and were all but ready to go.

It was because Dapol pulled the plug that I sought out a cheap Farish one to buff up as a placeholder as I suspect we are looking at minimum three years before a decent new version appears now.

Archived