Graham Farish Class 50

35 Ark Royal

Unfortunately I would wager Farish probably don't have it pencilled in on account of how close the Dapol one was to production before the plug got pulled as they had CAD images and were all but ready to go.

It was because Dapol pulled the plug that I sought out a cheap Farish one to buff up as a placeholder as I suspect we are looking at minimum three years before a decent new version appears now.

Well they do have class 37 bogies already. But I do agree, it probably wont happen. I  am just very surprised that Dapol stopped theirs. Perhaps 142s  are more popular

I really wonder if manufacturers have any understanding of the market. The 50s must be the most popular loco of the past 30 years. Instead we get rail buses and obscure 1960s prototypes that ran for about 10 minutes before heading for the cripple siding.

• RMweb Gold

I really wonder if manufacturers have any understanding of the market. The 50s must be the most popular loco of the past 30 years.

I really doubt that - the 50s ran on the WCML for a period then largely spent most of their life on the WR. Compare that to 08s/37s/47s/56s/60s/66s etc which got/get pretty much everywhere.

The 50s must be the most popular loco of the past 30 years. Instead we get rail buses and obscure 1960s prototypes that ran for about 10 minutes before heading for the cripple siding.

Yes, they are a popular locomotive, but then so are many others and it would be almost impossible to ascertain the 'most' popular. Most people have a favourite loco or two, but it's a personal choice. I guess manufacturers are on a hiding whatever they produce if it doesn't match individual preferences. For me I think multiple units (and particularly third rail EMUs) are under-represented. But it is a disappointment that Dapol have put their class 50 in 'abayence'.

Probaby one way to influence manufacturers is to take part in the RTR wish list poll (coming up again soon I believe). The class 50 didn't feature in the top 20 last year, but of D&E subjects, at least five units did.

However, it is possible to bash the old Farish class 50 to look a little better (see NGS Journal 3/17) or, if you are really desperate for a RTR version, CJM do a state of the art class 50.

G

not sure 50s are the most popular loco but they are very popular...

more popular than 14, 17, 22, 23 but of course not running in transition period for more than a few months really...

anyway if we get a new version in the next 4 years or so I'll be happy!

Tim

Yes, they are a popular locomotive, but then so are many others and it would be almost impossible to ascertain the 'most' popular.

Probaby one way to influence manufacturers is to take part in the RTR wish list poll (coming up again soon I believe). The class 50 didn't feature in the top 20 last year, but of D&E subjects, at least five units did.

G

AFAIR Class 50s were excluded from the wish list poll as Dapol had anounced it. It terms of most popular, what is peoples most poular loco is not always the most popular model - I am a peak fan but have more Cl47 models than peaks. However, in terms of BR desiels it probably is the most popular loco which is not modeled to the current level expected. 

• RMweb Premium

not sure 50s are the most popular loco but they are very popular...

more popular than 14, 17, 22, 23 but of course not running in transition period for more than a few months really...

By what measure? This is purely anecdotal stuff, and is there a direct correlation between "popular" and what sells?

I like 50s, more than I like 66s, however I would buy maybe one or two 50s and I have at least fifteen 66s. Which is more popular?

AFAIR Class 50s were excluded from the wish list poll as Dapol had anounced it.

However, in terms of BR desiels it probably is the most popular loco which is not modeled to the current level expected.

And now that it's been put in absence, this year's poll will be an opportunity to vote for it in the poll as I suggested. Although I'm not sure that with Dapol having dibs on it and at least undertaking CAD work, an alternative manufacturer, like Farish, would be interested even if it was runaway winner.

Possibly the remaining most popular class left, but not confirmed, especially as all the classes Mike mentioned are now available RTR.

G

• RMweb Premium

By what measure? This is purely anecdotal stuff, and is there a direct correlation between "popular" and what sells?

I like 50s, more than I like 66s, however I would buy maybe one or two 50s and I have at least fifteen 66s. Which is more popular?

Going on the number built then, that makes the 50 more popular.

2 out of 50 is 4%

15 out of 455 is just over 3%

:-)

Dave

And now that it's been put in absence, this year's poll will be an opportunity to vote for it in the poll as I suggested. Although I'm not sure that with Dapol having dibs on it and at least undertaking CAD work, an alternative manufacturer, like Farish, would be interested even if it was runaway winner.

Possibly the remaining most popular class left, but not confirmed, especially as all the classes Mike mentioned are now available RTR.

G

Got to agree with you Grahame, surely if the 50 appears in this years wish list poll - and based on the fact no one is actively making a 50 (to our knowledge at least) - it should, this is a chance to show how popular it would be, and if it did score high surely Dapol would instantly start work on theirs again as they would have a massive head start on anyone else.

• RMweb Premium

Well I have ordered detailing parts for my Farish 50 and have already stripped it down so I guess as soon as I finish it you can hazard a guess what will happen....

Well I have ordered detailing parts for my Farish 50 and have already stripped it down so I guess as soon as I finish it you can hazard a guess what will happen....

. . . Better hurry up and finish it then. You'll make a lot of people happy if it comes to pass . . . .

;-)

G.

Archived