RMweb Classifieds- Friends and Family Paypal - A warning.

If you're carrying out any transaction on RMweb do not use the Paypal Friends and Family option - unless you personally know the seller and you know where to get hold of them if there was an issue.

If you use the Friends and Family option you don't avoid fees (unless it's out of a positive balance of funds) but the seller is avoiding fees and more importantly it means that you have no recourse to reclaim funds if the goods are not supplied or as described.

If someone wants to avoid paying Paypal their fees don't deal with them.

Oh man I wish I knew this. I just ordered a Heljan class 40 on eBay with a £150 deposit,

The seller has great feedback I guess all I can do is trust he will deliver.

It will be a dull start to my entry to 0 gauge if I loose out.

Noted for future cheers Rob :)

• RMweb Gold

PayPal takes a fee from the seller - around 3.4%  of transaction fee on a business account (not sure what the personal seller fee is). There is an option to send money without paying a fee to "friends or Family" intended for personal gifts rather than purchases.

Some sellers request you send the funds like this to avoid paying the above fee, but by doing this you are declaring it a gift and you are saying you don't need any of PayPals fraud/faulty goods protection and it is no different to posting a bundle of used five pound notes to the seller....

I use  Paypal  extensively  I do  use  paypal to  send  money  to   people  I  know  and  relations,  Providing  I  have  enough  funds in my  Paypal account no fees are payable..

I would  personally  not use  Friends & Family to send money to someone whose integrity I cannot be  sure of  .

I do request that some buyers  send payment by friends  and  family,  as  i am  honest and   if there are any problems  I will always  refund  them,  that is  why incidentally  that  any  goods sent  are covered  for  their  full value  by  the  carrier,, be  it  Royal mail  or  an online  courier  such  as  Hermes 

Of  course  it  is  also  a  simple  matter   to  use  BACS  these  days,  the  transfer  is  usually  instant  and  secure.

• RMweb Gold

Have to agree with the above sentiments but have both sent and received plenty of paypal friends payments to/from folks on here with established track records.

I know how I would behave in the event of a dispute and assume others on here with good track records would do likewise

There are other options of course - bank transfer or transferwise. I have used the latter for several transactions to my son in Estonia and have avoided usurious bank foreign transfer fees

Cheers

Phil

Hi all, having dealt will both buying and selling on here using Paypal F&F, touchwood I have not yet had a problem certainly buying wise, and I would like to think people who have bought off me have been happy with the service I have provided in selling my models on.

But as we all know, inevitably as the practise becomes more widespread the law of averages states that there will undoubtedly be problems, and this is where we as fellow modellers such sort out any problems amicably.

Happy modelling

Craig.

• RMweb Gold

Previously, users of the classified section were required to be genuine forum members, with 20 posts 'of substance'.

This restriction has been relaxed ; Andy, is there a reason behind the warning and are the two connected ?

Previously, users of the classified section were required to be genuine forum members, with 20 posts 'of substance'.

This restriction has been relaxed ; Andy, is there a reason behind the warning and are the two connected ?

Unfortunately completely unconnected. The only problems of any severity that I've had have been with members with a reasonable number of posts.

Of  course  it  is  also  a  simple  matter   to  use  BACS  these  days,  the  transfer  is  usually  instant  and  secure.

To be pedantic, BACS is a 3 day payment process. The Faster Payments System which is run by BACS for UK banks is the instant (15 minutes) payment system and is a completely separate process.

I always offer and prefer to pay sellers from Classifieds by direct bank transfer and most sellers are happy with. The feedback option on Classifieds is a great asset which enables both seller and buying to build up a positive profile and  always use it and as yet have not had any issues with sellers. To be honest anyone that does abuse Classifieds will  in the long term create far more damage to their reputation both within and outside the RMweb domain.

Just out of interest how is the faster payments system more secure than paying via paypal (f+f or not)?

Do Banks cover you if you paid via faster payments and items didn't turn up?

As a purchaser, no I don't believe a faster payment gives you any cover so I don't think it gives you any advantage (beyond being easily accessible from your own bank account, being free at both ends, not needing a paypal account etc)

As a seller, some do not like doing bank transfers (despite "free") as to do so they would need to divulge their bank account number, whereas by Paypal all that is divulged is the email address you (often) already have.

Thanks For the info.

So really paypal friends & family is no worse than cash, cheques, postal orders, direct transfers... etc leaving only paypal seller fees as an option to buy or sell on here?

I'm lucky in that I've never had to use PayPal buyer/seller protection. My thoughts were that it would be too hard to claim and that paypal had plenty of get out of paying clauses....

But thanks for the warning on paypal protection as I hadn't thought about it.

• RMweb Gold

Given that paypals protection only benefits the buyer, I've always taken issue at paying to take the purchasers risk and in the process exposing yourself to greater risk of an unscrupulous buyer raising a fictional claim (see a few recent cases in the telegraph money section)

Hence when selling I prefer to stick to cash (be that a cleared cheque, direct bank transfer or paypal F&F).

When buying off the forum I tend to give the benefit of doubt and a degree of trust to the seller.)

Though I can completely understand Andys advice to avoid it. Can't imagine how much grief the classifieds must cause behind the scenes

Archived