Unusual PW configurations thread both real and model.

Here's an interesting configuration I came across on my railway work travels.

I noted there was a pair of catch points which were set within a turnout. These are for at set of carriage siding roads at Southport station triangle.  The line to the right is the Up and Down Southport Merseyrail line.  My guess is that that due to the very limited space and the need for multiple sets of turnouts required from the main line leading to the pair of twin road sidings on both sides of the triangle, that there was no space left for a separate catch point in plain line..

post-4412-0-08004800-1508096663_thumb.jpg

post-4412-0-13916500-1508096671_thumb.jpg

Google aerial view

https://goo.gl/maps/D18PSwtoLsz

[Edit - Map link updated, hopefully]

Edited by Jaggzuk
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium

Here's an interesting configuration I came across on my railway work travels.

I noted there was a pair of catch points which were set within a turnout. These are for at set of carriage siding roads at Southport station triangle.  The line to the right is the Up and Down Southport Merseyrail line.  My guess is that that due to the very limited space and the need for multiple sets of turnouts required from the main line leading to the pair of twin road sidings on both sides of the triangle, that there was no space left for a separate catch point in plain line..

attachicon.gifCP1.JPG

attachicon.gifCP2.JPG

Google aerial view

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/53%C2%B038'37.2%22N+3%C2%B000'01.5%22W/@53.643652,-3.0009923,142m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m14!1m7!3m6!1s0x487b15315eb47ffb:0x9464ca1ad2094f88!2sSouthport!3b1!8m2!3d53.645708!4d-3.010113!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d53.6436522!4d-3.0004246

It looks like half a double slip. I wonder if at some time it was a whole double slip with a short headshunt or trap siding?

• RMweb Gold

It looks like half a double slip. I wonder if at some time it was a whole double slip with a short headshunt or trap siding?

It also looks like if something is derailed from the left-hand track there will be an almighty great bang as it comes into contact with the juice rail.

• RMweb Gold

It also looks like if something is derailed from the left-hand track there will be an almighty great bang as it comes into contact with the juice rail.

I would guess the juice rails are only live if a route is set out of the sidings. Either by interaction between the bobby and the supply man or controlled by the signalling.

Nooo - Live at all times - yer takes yer chances - something derails then "POP" goes the traction current .............................

That is an incredibly short piece of conductor rail (Floater) on the LHS between the two sets of S&C - that certainly adds to the unusuallity of the arrangement

• RMweb Premium

Nooo - Live at all times - yer takes yer chances - something derails then "POP" goes the traction current .............................

That is an incredibly short piece of conductor rail (Floater) on the LHS between the two sets of S&C - that certainly adds to the unusuallity of the arrangement

A handy second line of defence.

And, I suspect (knowing the area in question) that it probably contributes little if anything in terms of keeping a 3-car train "on juice" when entering or leaving these sidings. It is more likely to be a relic of the days when design practice was simply to put in as much conductor rail as possible. These days, such short lengths are not liked as they have a tendency to creepand need to be solidly anchored.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

In a similar way to the above post, but without electricity. Might be of interest. 

Kelvinbridge, ex CR. The photo is I think early 1960s, it never changed from its original layout. The same idea, a twin trap point set into point blades. There is no headshunt, the tunnel under kelvingrove park is just behind the photographer. So any shunting movement into the yard would have been in darkness. Fun in steam days. Note the rather large piles of coal, complete mystery to me how they stayed up since there was no sign of staithes or other supports. 

post-30265-0-24470700-1508193145.jpg

I live 2 streets away on the right. I did think about modelling it, but went for Partick instead. 

Edited by Dave John
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Note the rather large piles of coal, complete mystery to me how they stayed up since there was no sign of staithes or other supports. 

I think that was rather usual. Here's an example where there are wooden walls up to wagon floor level but the stack is built up a good seven or eight feet higher, apparently using larger lumps to make a sort of dry stone wall.

Kelvinbridge, ex CR. The photo is I think early 1960s

Just noticed the Ramsay Ladders Depot on the right.  The house I live in was built in 1964, and has a Ramsay Ladder for access to the loft which I believe is original to the house.  The lady we bought the house from was very proud of it.  IMO it's a rather noisy and rickety thing which takes up an inordinate amount of floor space in the loft (which is boarded).  It probably had to work quite hard in earlier days - I know that the seller's deceased husband had a layout in the loft.  I keep meaning to get round to replacing it with a wooden fold-away ladder attached to the trap door, but somehow more important things keep cropping up that need doing...

• RMweb Gold

Effectively it is half a double slip.  there is a similar formation at Didcot which was even renewed in flat bottom rail to more or less the same arrangement some years ago,  It is a way of getting in a double tongue trap where a single tongue would not be acceptable but using more or less standard parts and this one - like the Didcot one - has probably never been anything other than a trap point.

Effectively it is half a double slip.  there is a similar formation at Didcot which was even renewed in flat bottom rail to more or less the same arrangement some years ago,  It is a way of getting in a double tongue trap where a single tongue would not be acceptable but using more or less standard parts and this one - like the Didcot one - has probably never been anything other than a trap point.

So there's an answer how to use it when you've b******d up one end of a double slip.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Where was that then, Mike? I don't remember ever seeing anything like that. The only place that I can think of where it might be is coming out of the yard next to the west end of platform 5.

I would guess the juice rails are only live if a route is set out of the sidings. Either by interaction between the bobby and the supply man or controlled by the signalling.

Eh?

You are of course joking arent you!

If its there its live.

• RMweb Gold

Where was that then, Mike? I don't remember ever seeing anything like that. The only place that I can think of where it might be is coming out of the yard next to the west end of platform 5.

You have the correct location - albeit the platform numbers have changed over the years, as have the signal numbers.  Diagrammatic in the two Notice extracts below but it is the traps in advance of R430/432 latterly SB 6413/6411

post-6859-0-37722500-1509210263.jpg

post-6859-0-30422300-1509210278.jpg

And here it is in flat bottom form in 2004

post-6859-0-81465300-1509210785_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-79649300-1509210817_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-06571100-1509210835_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-38683100-1509210850_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You have the correct location - albeit the platform numbers have changed over the years, as have the signal numbers.  Diagrammatic in the two Notice extracts below but it is the traps in advance of R430/432 latterly SB 6413/6411

attachicon.gifDidcot.jpg

attachicon.gifDidcot 2 1994.jpg

And here it is in flat bottom form in 2004

attachicon.gifDSCF0136 half slipp 00.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0129 Half slip 0.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0128 half slip 02.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0127 Half slip 03.jpg

It's interesting Mike that the two ground signals SB 6413/6411, despite being almost side by side, that one has red/white lights and the other red/red. I would have thought that some consistancy would have been applied with the yard or at least adjacent signals would be the same type. I realise that drivers would of course know what the meaning was, but ....

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all that, Mike. In all my visits to that part of the world, I'd never noticed that. The old ground signal numbers rang a bell; when the Didcot yard shunters needed to shunt a loco out of one part of the yard and into another they'd call up and use just the signal numbers. E.g. "Loco shunt, 430 to 432" (or 192 for the Didcot North exit signal, or 317 for the east end exit signal). They probably still do, but with different numbers now, of course.

• Like 2

It's interesting Mike that the two ground signals SB 6413/6411, despite being almost side by side, that one has red/white lights and the other red/red. I would have thought that some consistancy would have been applied with the yard or at least adjacent signals would be the same type. I realise that drivers would of course know what the meaning was, but ....

John

I think the two reds mean that GPS is a combined GPS (capable of two white lights "proceed") & "Limit of Shunt" indicator but then I'm a PW engineer !!