Bachmann 2015/16 Speculation ... or Divination 101 as it is known on the Hogwarts Express

Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

I'm sticking with my Bluebell/Worth Valley hunch, so if we're looking at non-industrial machines in the two lines' fleets which are either not currently available RTR or of which the current models are not to rivet counter modern standards I reckon we're looking at two or three of:

SECR H Class

SECR P Class

SECR 01 Class

North London 0-6-0T

Terrier

SR Q

BR standard 2MT 2-6-2T

BR standard 2MT 2-6-0

S160

Taff Vale 02

LYR Ironclad

LYR Class 23 0-6-0ST

Of those I think I'd lay a shade of odds on the H, partly because it is a much-requested model and partly because Bachmann is already producing suitable SECR coaching stock. For the next NRM model, I'd be inclined to stick with the Southern theme and predict either an SECR D Class or an LSWR T3, if for no other reason than that the trend in recent years has been towards small to medium sized pre-grouping express passenger locomotives. On the balance of probabilities I would again plump for the SECR engine.

I am really disillusioned with the announcements no matter who they come from, model announced then long lead times. My ehattons preorders go back to 2011. I would just like Bachmann to say here is a model (which fits in my timeframe) and you can buy it from next week/ month - not here is a model and we start development in 6 months. Not long ago I would have dived into this thread with a long list of predictions but not got the enthusiasm for it now.

Hope you all get what you wish for

Mark

I agree  with  you,  there  is  little point in  speculating these days,  what  will be  will be,  the  programme for new production  will already  be set,  I beleive that  Bachmann may   have to be looking  at  what  other manufacturers  are doing  to upgrade  quality both in appearance & running  qualities,  I never though I would say this but I think Hornby have set quite a challenge,

The  UK layouts  my group  pf modelling friends  have were quite notable  by the  higher proportion of Bachmann  VS other manufacturers ( notably Hornby) locos & units my own layout  was around 80% Bachmann,  however  the recent Hornby loco releases have IMHO  set the standard higher,  eg  the  recent K1  with its  Flywheel fitted smooth running  Mechanism  and  METAL boiler which greatly improves adhesive weight,  Looking  thro'  Hornby Catalogue it is notable how many of their Steam  locos (some  obviously not released yet)  have Metal not plastic boilers & flywheels ets ( one loco is listed as having 2 flywheels)

Anyway to keep to the  thread  theme  just  one prediction  from  me.....TransPennine Express 5 car  DMU  but  not  likely  I think.

• RMweb Premium

Why do a duchess? Hornby have one in production that most people would say is a great model

True but how much extra work would be needed for the Ivatt pair 46256/7? That would be interesting and since Hornby has the Duchess probably not likely to come from there. The Duke and P2 have shown one-offs can sell.

Otherwise I too am rather fed up with the longer and longer lead times between Bachmann's announcements and models appearing. My priority if you like is to see the chassis upgraded Ivatt 2-6-2T, the blue 47001 and some modern wagon reliveries announced a couple of catalogues ago.

But I'm sure there will be new announcements, so my predictions are the Bluebell's H Class, an 84xxx, a Class 101 3-car set, a Class 59, GW 43xx for chassis upgrade, new Bulleid coaches and since Bachmann seems to like to have parcels types in development and the SR CCT/PMV is nearly finished, an inside framed Syphon G.

The costive progress on what's already announced does argue for only modest 'product pipeline restocking'. So I'd look at what has been pushed out over the past year, and propose upstream replacements.

They haven't pushed out an all new 'big named engine' since the A2. The Bulleid MN in all its spamcanniness must slip in at some point, could this be the year? If so the coach range would have to be Bulleids, surely?

I can see the WD 2-10-0 in their freight line up someday. Economies from having shared components with the WD 2-8-0 has to make this attractive. Are there similar economies in the way of a suitable tender already tooled for the Austin 7 0-8-0? That would perhaps raise its chances.

Another addition to the BR mk1 series. Don't have a clue which.

The Southern 4-4-0 that isn't in their range, an NRM co-production of the Wainwright D looks like a shoo-in to me  - but that would be an NRM led announcement so not now.

Another 0-6-0? Hope so. Open field of types for all the North going lines, all with their attractions.

The split chassis renewals pace has become glacial since the 'burst' that gave us the A4, B1 and the shabby V2 in one year. We know that Bachmann were disappointed with sales of the all-new Jubillee when that got renewed from split chassis - we still haven't seen the sloping throatplate type originally announced -  and that led to a change in policy of no more body renewals, and I wonder if this programme has now been completely overtaken by events and we will see a change in direction.

...The J72 which was one of the flagship Kader locos is yet to receive a new chassis and a full update ...

Instead of renewing this, move to a new prototype for the current standard LNER/ER 0-6-0T that they don't currently have in their range. The preserved ex-GER J69 an obvious target, gorgeous livery choices, wide distribution in service, never a RTR model in OO. 'Everyone' has a J72, and they do last mechanically, an all new subject will probably yield much better sales.

Wagons, ever hopeful for an LMS general merchandise open and van set to match what they did for LNER wagons.

I would love there to be lots of Southern Railway/Region announcements (especially a 4-COR) but practically I expect a year of consolidation otherwise how are they ever going to catch up with themselves ?

So, as far as locos go I expect some re-liveries (possibly some being brightly coloured pre-grouping) and only one or two new models, one of which will be a "show-stopper".

I would like the "ordinary" loco to be something small and useful, maybe a southern "P" class 0-6-0T or the much voted for BR Standard 2-6-0 2MT.

For the "show-stopper" I have no idea, some have suggested elsewhere a Trans-Penine DMU, but whilst these were very attractive units I cannot see a huge following for them (??????)

As ever all I really want is that whatever they choose it proves to be popular and sells well.

Hi all, not sure on locos.

As a BR(S) modeller a H Class would be nice, U class mogul also.

With regards to coaching stock any chance of a Bulleid Tavern car set to go with upgraded Bulleid Coaches? I think there is an opportunity for more variety with regard to catering stock, Hornby missed a beat with not doing any Maunsell restaurant cars. I'm a chef so I may be biased!

I'm with Reeves tho, hard to get too excited. It maybe not long to the announcements but then how long???

Regards G

• RMweb Gold

As a BR (S) enthusiast whose primary interests lie in the Western part of the Region, more and better Bulleid coaches would be highly desirable.

However, Bachmann announced an upgrade to their Thompson range quite a while ago (with no progress yet reported AFAIK) so I doubt there will be any positive news about improvements or additions to any of the existing coach ranges.

As for locos, Bachmann have lately given the impression that the Southern is less of a no-go area for them that it used to be (though much has yet to be delivered). However, they still appear to consider that ex-LSWR prototypes and probably the MN (they don't do anything that big unless it's LNER) are Red Box territory, so I agree with other posters that the SECR H class is probably a good bet.

John    

• RMweb Gold

Right

I'm still going with the H Class 0-4-4T,

A B16 is a potential natural for Bachmann and must be a possibility but if they do anything NER one of the 0-6- classes is perhaps more likely on a retail price basis as much as anything else.

A 'Manor' revamp seems quite likely.

Maybe announced this year but more likely next is a curve ball in the shape of a 'proper' ROD version of the GCR 8K/LNER 04 which would give lots of scope for later detail variants.

On the coaching stock front a possible revamp for the Colletts but they will be joining a queue, and

Some new (say one or two) steam era wagons/a brake van.

There won't be anything at all new National Collection wise as I strongly doubt the NRM will allow a licence for anything 'attractive' which might feature in their own range in the future.  But of course there might be a separate NRM announcement at a later date?

Modern stuff is not really my scene at all but probably some livery variations and possibly a re-work of a Modernisation Plan era diesel.

If there is a dmu I doubt it will be anything more than 2 car set, I can't really see them going for anything potentially complicated such as a Trans-Pennine set with its variety of vehicles and formations.

After all the work to tool up a new Farish class 31 diesel they really should scale it up to 'OO'.  All those liveries that Hornby have failed to produce.

• RMweb Gold

Right

A 'Manor' revamp seems quite likely.

Quite a few are saying this but I'd be very surprised on this.What's the reasoning behind your thoughts Mike ?

Their 64xx is about to hit the shops.

How about they continue from where they left off with some more GC stuff? They have the chassis on the way, so how about a n4/5 0-6-2? After all, they were numerous, in LNER days not just confined to GC metals, and would work well as I have just started planning on how to build one.

A B16 is a potential natural for Bachmann and must be a possibility but if they do anything NER one of the 0-6- classes is perhaps more likely on a retail price basis as much as anything else.

:good:

There won't be anything at all new National Collection wise as I strongly doubt the NRM will allow a licence for anything 'attractive' which might feature in their own range in the future. But of course there might be a separate NRM announcement at a later date?

I agree.

Modern stuff is not really my scene at all but probably some livery variations and possibly a re-work of a Modernisation Plan era diesel.

If there is a dmu I doubt it will be anything more than 2 car set, I can't really see them going for anything potentially complicated such as a Trans-Pennine set with its variety of vehicles and formations.

Reckon your onto something. A class 20 with lights etc would be a good move. As would hooking that up with the class 20/9. As regards DMUs anything larger than 2 car is out for now. That means no Transpennine Unit, or any class 180 Aldante from Bachmann anyway...

• RMweb Premium

After all the work to tool up a new Farish class 31 diesel they really should scale it up to 'OO'. All those liveries that Hornby have failed to produce.

No chance. The Hornby hi-fi model is very good, so why on earth would Bachmann try and compete with it with all the financial risks that would entail. I'm sure Hornby will get through the popular liveries eventually; there's a new one this year after all - NR yellow.

Does anyone know if the N Gauge announcements from Farish will be made a the same time?

Several recent announcements have been surprising in that they are not scale-downs of their 00 models, in fact some have been models that Hornby have done in 00 (thinking specifically of the Castle here).

• RMweb Gold

Quite a few are saying this but I'd be very surprised on this.What's the reasoning behind your thoughts Mike ?

Their 64xx is about to hit the shops.

Someone on the Bachmann stand at Ally Pally two years ago said he was pushing for it internally 'and please add to my voice'.  So it was obviously in someone's mind if not everyone's.

Does anyone know if the N Gauge announcements from Farish will be made a the same time?

Several recent announcements have been surprising in that they are not scale-downs of their 00 models, in fact some have been models that Hornby have done in 00 (thinking specifically of the Castle here).

Response from Bachmann:

“Traditionally new product announcements have been made on the same day as the Bachmann Branchline OO scale ones and this year will be no different.

Graham Farish have been producing N scale trains since 1970 (See Ramsay’s British Model Trains Catalogue) and the GWR Castle Class 4-6-0 was first produced by the old Holton Heath factory in 1982. It was reintroduced under Bachmann ownership in 2003. It is being replaced by a completely newly tooled model which replaces the previously available version”.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

After all the work to tool up a new Farish class 31 diesel they really should scale it up to 'OO'...

No chance. The Hornby hi-fi model is very good...

Not everyone shares that opinion of the Hornby item! But I reckon Heljan for this subject, following their O gauge model; the long life in large numbers and resulting extensive livery choice make it a good fit for their operation.

I think a j6 is a distinct possibility. It's a long lived loco (pre grouping to late crest IIRC) and has featured on many wish lists over the years

As has been said before though, with lead times approaching 3 years for previous announcements it's difficult to get enthusiastic. The birdcages for example, coming up for 3 years since the announcement and still no sign of engineering samples.

Archived