Storage Box Foam Inserts

I have some Really Useful Storage boxes which I use for putting my locos in when attending shows. the locos are wrapped in bubble wrap to protect them but with around 80+ engines it takes much time taking them out and putting them back.

A couple of friends at my model club have some of the commercially available boxes with precision cut inserts which is the type of thing I could do with however the inserts are the wrong size for my boxes.

Does anyone know where I can get custom cut foam inserts to dimensions that will fit my boxes. 

Cheers   

Ian H

• RMweb Gold

I have some Really Useful Storage boxes which I use for putting my locos in when attending shows. the locos are wrapped in bubble wrap to protect them but with around 80+ engines it takes much time taking them out and putting them back.

A couple of friends at my model club have some of the commercially available boxes with precision cut inserts which is the type of thing I could do with however the inserts are the wrong size for my boxes.

Does anyone know where I can get custom cut foam inserts to dimensions that will fit my boxes. 

Cheers   

Ian H

Hi Ian

I use blue foam channel as inserts - http://www.kitepackaging.co.uk/scp/corner-and-edge-protection/foam-u-channel-edge-protection/

A pack represents an investment but split round a club might help - my stash is currently insulating the attic!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You could try Jon of JB's Model World   (jb2mmworld @aol.com)

I've got some of his readymade OO ones for the 10 litre Really Useful boxes and he also does N. He may be able to help if your boxes are a different size or could possibly point you in the right direction.

Regards 

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Gold

Expensive but worthwhile are the Parkwood Arts RUB inserts - I use their OO inserts for both 4mm and 3.5mm stock in both 2 layer and 4 layer boxes - the inserts are slightly longer for the 2 layer version- and they will sell the inserts separately if you already own the boxes.

http://www.parkwood-arts.co.uk/html/oo___ho_gauge_.html

Chris

I bought a 10litre Really Useful Box a with foam insert from Wealistic Models at the Warley Show.

I wanted a few more so I have bought the boxes from Rymans and the foam direct from www.gbfoamdirect.co.uk - it's their "packaging foam". I have bought single 55mm thick piece to fill the box out of which I will cut the slots for the stock and a separate top & bottom in 6mm foam. Enough for 5 boxes cost less than £25 delivered.

Hope this helps

Sam 

<edit to add more detail>

Edited by sdw7300

• RMweb Gold

When I went to the Alton Show last Saturday, there was a trader selling boxes at a very reasonable £25.00. Needless to say, I bought one. Happy with it.

That was JB's Model World. 

Edited by grandadbob

• 5 years later...