Hills and Meadows - N-gauge

Maurits71

me being a happy chappy and proud to say that I have done quit an endurance test last night over 4 hours with 27 trains and only 2 minor issues, so convinced that everything works as it should do so time to start with the next level

I have made a small movie for those who are interested

best regards

Maurits

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

after all the testing I am confident now that the fiddle yard works as I had it in mind, so time to start thinking about the next stages.

first planned is a ramp to cross the fiddle yard towards a 2 meter stretch which will end in a 3 layer Helix. total height increase is from 55 cm to 85 cm.

20150404_191704396_iOS.jpg

20150404_191720240_iOS.jpg

offcourse he ramp was a reason to test for 2 hours to see if all carriages could pass without problems,which delayed everything a bit.

after this was approved I have started with the first helix, done similar as I have done on Highbury Fields , although this helix is wider.

20150403_163721062_iOS.jpg

20150404_163943269_iOS.jpg

I will finish this one tomorrow.

more updates to follow

best regards

M.

• Like 1

Hi all,

some more progress to report, the whole ramp and the helix are in place

20150406_130642628_iOS.jpg

20150406_130550114_iOS.jpg

20150406_130600761_iOS.jpg

from the last turning to the Helix is 210 cm with a height difference of 3 cm. the helix will all the trains to clime another 16.5 ( 3 layers ) cm to a level of 85 cm, so this shouldn't be any problem for none of my trains.

If I am in the mood I will start laying track tonight  ;)

best regards, Maurits

• Like 3

Hi all.

after lots of progress I needed to have a step back as I wasn't happy with the ramp towards the first helix, I did try a few longer then normal trains and they all struggled.

Learned from my previous layout that if you are not happy don't continue but start again because you will regret this at a later stage.

so this was the old situation, just before I removed all track.

20150412_103601995_iOS.jpg

and with the ramp gone and a helix layer in place.

20150413_183806156_iOS.jpg

it's much better now, still one train who's struggling as the loco needs ideally a bit of weight, but confident now that we are back on the right track.

best regards

Maurits

• Like 11

Evening,

thanks to a cold and cloudy sunday I was able to spend some time in the mans room, another layer of the helix finished and tested.

you will see a full rack class 43 going up whilst a dutch class 1100 wit 5 German double deckers is heading down, not a usual combination but perfect to see if trains are not touching each other in the bends

• Like 5

Afternoon.

managed to finish the rest of the layers of Helix 1.

20150426_115515483_iOS.jpg

all sections are connected and tested, next step is to build Helix 2. Both will end up on the 95 cm level so once Helix 2 is done I will make a temporarily connection between them so I can test all loco's / trains to see if they are able to manage the inclines.

best regards, Maurits 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
I have done a few bits and pieces, ahum, but not really time to update everything

What have we done over tyhe last couple of weeks, well Helix nr 2 is getting shape. 40 metres of track in total, 40 cm up, 5 layers so 2% incline. per layer 2 sections so if needed I can put another 20 trains out of sight. Helix nr 2 is nicely renamed ' Super lifter ' by my buddy Paul :)

20150513_183713967_iOS.jpg

20150513_183651850_iOS.jpg

This weekend is the Ely show where we will display Horsely Fields, I am really looking forward to see Ben's efforts but Sunday I am planning pending on the missus to connect nr 1 and 2 temporary to do a proper test run, probably I will also do a video

best regards

M.

• Like 3

Evening

After a very enjoyable day with our club layout Horsely Fields at the Ely railways show I managed to spend also some time in the mans room. both Helixes are temporarily connected and the first 2 trains have done a run.

going to add all sections in the computer tomorrow ( 29 sections to be specific ) and hopefully a proper run with all available trains.  

20150516_211434275_iOS.jpg

more to follow

M.

• Like 7

Good running session last night, few hick ups in the small helix, one of my class 58's doesn't like two connections both up and down. rest seems to be ok. at one point I had 16 trains running so happy with that. 

coming days/ weeks will be spend in sorting out the small hick ups before we start with the upper level.

best regards

M.

• Like 1

This looks amazing!

Any chance you can post some more info on your curve maker? I'd love to know how to make them so I can either keep it in N if I decide to change scale or scale up if I decide to stick with OO.

Cheers,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

HI All.

as mentioned previously I had some de railing issues with a few loco's in the helix, so after some thoughts I have decided to demolish this small one and do it again.

so here back to the start

20150530_200412545_iOS.jpg

and

3 nights and 3 layers further down the road. ;), to avoid further problems I have used a combination of several useful tips I have received, so all rails are soldered, glued and where the section cuts are I have also extra screws soldered to the rails.

Maybe a bit of an overkill , but better safe than sorry

20150601_192227766_iOS.jpg

section cuts with extra soldered screws

20150602_172014414_iOS.jpg

And my 4 lovely problem childs together, these four were the ones derailing, so now they are doing the test runs. so far, no more issues

20150601_192220286_iOS.jpg

Matt, I have made a tutorial which you can find on the lighter side of the net : http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=15148.0

best regards

M.
Edited by Maurits71
  • Like 2

Hi All.

Spend last night wiring up the last bits and pieces, adding sections etc to the software and have done a stint of an hour without any issues.

20150605_200126270_iOS.jpg

20150605_193610494_iOS.jpg

20150605_173848885_iOS.jpg

Today is spend on cleaning the last locos which were still in the boxes, calibrating speed and other settings and tonight I am going to do another run  ;)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Evening all.

Just realised haven't done much of an update lately.

despite having Horseley Fields complete build up in the garage ( and nothing cooler than running Horsely Fields on your own ) I have also managed to do some bits and pieces on HaM.

Not building wise more on the software side. I was struggling a bit with a build up of traffic going into the fiddleyard down to the fact that around the fiddle yard is a loop with both exits and entrances. with some actions and fine tuning it seems now running more smootly and I managed last night to do an average of 13 trains constantly with an average overall speed of 823 kilometres an hour. as a reference Highbury Fields was never able to do more than 500 average an hour.

has also a bit of a play with the DRS class 37, looks so much better with the snowploughs fitted on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
have finally managed to convince myself that if I want to do scenery I first need to finish the whole layout and the monster Helix is this biggest project. Have done quit a few invisible things over the last days, installing the section controls, done already all the wiring so this morning I could happily start with the helix.

so far layer one is finished, 6 more to go

20150718_094238283_iOS.jpg

As you can see I have decided to use an under layer in this one, reasons are to avoid the screws getting through, a more smoother ride over the connections and bit more space for leaving the wires underneath the track.

more updates to follow

best regards

Maurits

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Morning all.

Helix is getting there at the end, busy with work and the new puppy means less time for H@M. So far only one layer left which I will do once I start with the 2nd fiddle yard.

All droppers are done and connected, testing is done with a couple of loco's everything works sofar but the big test will be with the longer trains

20150811_143358526_iOS.jpg

20150811_183237928_iOS.jpg.

Last night and tonight are planned to enjoy running trains before I have to dismantle the temporally connection to make space for the rest of the layout 

• Like 4

The main ' secret ' is the yellow train on the last picture. this is a lux hoover and a lux polisher, not cheap but works superb. next to that I use ' halfords contact spray ' so I have normally no issues with dirty track. To give you an idea it was 5 weeks since I have run any trains. last night, power on and go without any issues.

but I realise that sometimes a good clean is also necessary so It's possible to have access ( not easy but possible )

• RMweb Gold

The main ' secret ' is the yellow train on the last picture. this is a lux hoover and a lux polisher, not cheap but works superb. next to that I use ' halfords contact spray ' so I have normally no issues with dirty track. To give you an idea it was 5 weeks since I have run any trains. last night, power on and go without any issues.

but I realise that sometimes a good clean is also necessary so It's possible to have access ( not easy but possible )

Ah yes see it now. This shows one working. Looks very good.

I must admit that we dont always clean the track on the second day at shows as theres just too much stock to move. We just do any particular areas that tend ot get dirtier than the reas such as on the curves in the fiddleyard.

ian