Hornby Class 71

Multiple identity account

I hadn't really thought about the pantograph (as they so seldom used).  Having now thought a bit about it, I really don't know whether an "operating" pantograph would be worth it.  I  THINK  that i would probably prefer a fine quality fixed (in down position) pantograph rather than a poor quality working one.

Interesting.

On such a plain model the pantograph may (???????) rather stand out as a centre of attention.

I hadn't really thought about the pantograph (as they so seldom used).  Having now thought a bit about it, I really don't know whether an "operating" pantograph would be worth it.  I  THINK  that i would probably prefer a fine quality fixed (in down position) pantograph rather than a poor quality working one.

Interesting.

On such a plain model the pantograph may (???????) rather stand out as a centre of attention.

Is that not just a step backwards? For starters it hardly looks a poor quality working one on the prototype model, but why make it a fix position pantograph if the options there to have a working one? It might seem a lot of work or a unnecessary expense to some but I think other would expect the pantograph to be movable.

• RMweb Gold
51E, on 25 Feb 2015 - 11:03, said:

Is that not just a step backwards? For starters it hardly looks a poor quality working one on the prototype model, but why make it a fix position pantograph if the options there to have a working one? It might seem a lot of work or a unnecessary expense to some but I think other would expect the pantograph to be movable.

OLE is a "difficult" area for many modellers, but OLE for 71s is obscure in the extreme being only found in the small number of yards and siding complexes that these locos visited. I am not sure whether a working pan will add much value for most modellers. A pan that can be raised and lowered is another matter.

• RMweb Gold

Have Hornby said it is going to be a working Pantograph (and by working do you mean electrically or just pose-able)?

There might be some misconception from the prototype which had some etched pantograph parts mated with 3D printed lower arms.  I don't doubt that this is just friction holding the pantograph in place. The difference in costs between fixed position and pose-able pantograph must be relatively small.

Cheers, Mike

Have Hornby said it is going to be a working Pantograph (and by working do you mean electrically or just pose-able)?

There might be some misconception from the prototype which had some etched pantograph parts mated with 3D printed lower arms.  I don't doubt that this is just friction holding the pantograph in place. The difference in costs between fixed position and pose-able pantograph must be relatively small.

Cheers, Mike

Sorry Mike, I meant it being just a pose-able Pantogragh, Not that I think it would take a lot to make it a electrically working one. 

I don't think it matters if the pantograph was used much or not on a Class 71. Its there and should be pose-able. I still think it would be a step backwards to not make it pose-able. Lots of people seem to shout and moan about pushing detail forward or do pantographs not fall into that category??

Edited by 51E

Sorry Mike, I meant it being just a pose-able Pantogragh, Not that I think it would take a lot to make it a electrically working one.

I don't think it matters if the pantograph was used much or not on a Class 74. Its there and should be pose-able. I still think it would be a step backwards to not make it pose-able. Lots of people seem to shout and moan about pushing detail forward or do pantographs not fall into that category??

The real class 71s only ever used the pantograph in sidings anyway so unless you were going to model sidings with DC overhead knitting It really is irrelevant if it's going to be electrically conducting or not. A 71 would not run under 25k knitting. Incidentally, the class 74 referred to above didn't have a pantograph. It was a conversion to electro diesel from the class 71