Possible return of railways to Ashburton

Highlandman

• RMweb Gold

With respect guys get real, this is never going to happen, look at some of the previous ideas like Peak rail to Buxton where most of the track bed was still in place or The Midland railway center who once spoke of going to Ambergate until the A38 was built and made a virtual impassable barrier. Even one of the biggest preserved railways has taken the best part of 30 years to get to the stage where they could be able to cross the gap at loughborough. Where talking about miles of what is basically a green field site and having to build cuttings, embankments and bridges etc in fact everything from scratch even if they could get the land. Seriously guys there all nice dreams but this like so many others is just not feasible

I'd never say 'never', having seen some of the other achievements that the UK heritage railway movement is now capable of, but it won't be quick and it won't be cheap. It may take them 20+ years to get to Ashburton, assuming the SDR management and board actually make the official decision to have this as a goal.

What the current interest in Ashburton is really about is preserving the station area from redevelopment and - possibly and in due course - establishing some kind of 'museum presence' there. These are much more achieveable goals, the preserving of the area from demolition and redevelopment in particular, even if in the meantime some other business occupies the actual station and its overall roof.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In civil engineering terms this would be a great deal more ambitious than even Bridging the Gap.  The MML at Loughborough is crossed at an angle that makes it reasonably easy in principle to lift a bridge in with probably only a weekend's disruption to train services and no need to touch the railway itelf, and the rest of the route can be done without much impact outside the immediate area.  Having to stop for a while due to lack of resources wouldn't inconvenience anybody too much. 

A reinstated Ashburton branch would need, somewhere along its length, to cross the A38 at a high angle of skew and because of the local topography and visual impacts this would probably be rail-under-road.  The various build-and-slide-under techniques probably won't work at this sort of skew so it might be a question of digging out a section of the A38 which would involve major roadworks over a prolonged period.  As there's no obvious alternative route this could even involve a temporary diversion of the A38 onto a new carriageway alongside for the duration of the work.  The costs for any of this would be astronomical, and because of the road closure it would have to run through to completion once it was started, which probably means whoever funds it having a contract with one of the civil engineering majors and the money in the bank to meet the full set of payments and contingencies.  This in turn probably means the public sector taking the lead, rather than leaving it in the hands of a predominantly volunteer organisation with limited means and no experience of this sort of thing.  All this is before even thinking about the issues with creating the rest of the alignment, which would also be in close proximity to the A38. 

To cap it all, anything to the northwest of the A38 is within the National Park, who tend to take a dim view of any sort of development and particularly something on this scale. 

• Like 1

I've been to Ashburton by train, this is my only photo of it. It was a Merrymaker from Reading, might well have been the farewell to Ashburton train mentioned earlier, I can't remember. I was about 16 nd travelled on my own , so I can't ask anyone for more details. (Named Class 47 on the front if that helps)post-23497-0-85807800-1425811077_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

If the current activity is successful, the station is saved and turned into a museum, the SDR could always make its presence felt by lending an out of service locomotive to sit underneath the overall roof on a short section of track. It would add to the attraction of the museum itself and keep an engine away from the elements whilst out of use.

I've visited Buckfastleigh several times over the last 5 years and the 14xx has often been seen stored outside and it would have been an ideal candidate (indeed, the locomotive is to make a visit to Ashburton later this year). Whilst its turn in the overhaul queue isn't too far away, 1369 only has a couple of years left in ticket and may be a good choice. If the railway had plans for a quick overhaul of 1369, they still have Lady Angela, Ashley and Carnarvon all stabled in the open.

• Like 3

It would, but not as ambitious as the Ffestiniog Deviation.

Perhaps not, but as I posted above the Ffestiniog people could build the Deviation at a speed governed by available resources, and also run services when only part was completed.  The same is largely true of other ambitious and successful preservation projects including the Welsh Highland and (give or take the landfill tax issue) the Bluebell extension.  It wouldn't be the case with Ashburton. 

I've been to Ashburton by train...........It was a Merrymaker from Reading..........I was about 16 and travelled on my own. 

If you were to do that today, and were found out, your parents would probably be arrested and you would be put into care!   :O

Happy days back then, weren't they? 

• Like 2

ha....they'd have been more perturbed at innocent little me wandering around King's Cross, not to mention Old Oak Lane from Willesden Junc had they known!  Barry Scrapyard wouldn't have thrilled them either!    we had a lot more freedom then

Edited by Reading General

If you were to do that today, and were found out, your parents would probably be arrested and you would be put into care!   :O

Happy days back then, weren't they? 

The equivalent today's a plane trip to the Turkish border....

Hijab Hat, coat - gone.....

• Like 2

As railway enthusiasts it is natural for us to deplore the closure of any railway, especially to allow a road to be built, however I would imagine that the improved A38 has been of far more benefit to far more people than the Ashburton branch ever was, or ever could be. If the money to re-open to Ashburton could be raised privately I would wish the project every success, but I can't see any justification for spending huge sums of public money to rebuild this line.

Apart from the interface with the A38, I don't understand why you would think this.

The interface with the A38 is the reason why I think this.  The line would probably have to hug the A38 as much as possible to minimise impact on the National Park etc, so the interface applies along most of the route.  And incidentally I'm not sure following the edge of a busy dual carriageway is really consistent with the atmosphere of a historic branch line. 

The interface with the A38 is the reason why I think this.  The line would probably have to hug the A38 as much as possible to minimise impact on the National Park etc, so the interface applies along most of the route.  And incidentally I'm not sure following the edge of a busy dual carriageway is really consistent with the atmosphere of a historic branch line. 

Doesn't most of the old route north of Buckfastleigh run under (or close to) it anyway, until it reaches the ouskirts of Ashburton? I do agree with you in that it won't exactly be atmospheric, especially at holiday times with all that noisy traffic roaring by on the A38!

Edited by Coppercap

• RMweb Gold

The interface with the A38 is the reason why I think this.  The line would probably have to hug the A38 as much as possible to minimise impact on the National Park etc, so the interface applies along most of the route.  And incidentally I'm not sure following the edge of a busy dual carriageway is really consistent with the atmosphere of a historic branch line

You're right, it isn't. But I don't think that this is the point. Certainly the route to Ashburton would be mostly next to the A38, but once you picked up the old formation just outside of town, in an ideal world you have the old terminus to run back into, which certainly does seem worthwhile to me (even if we all acknowledge that there's very little chance of the money being found for it - and incidentally, I don't think anyone was advocating the use of public money for the scheme).

• Like 1

Has something changed since October 2014?

There is a Dartmoor National Parks Authority masterplan for the redevelopment of the Chuley Road site in Ashburton,

this plan appears to show the station as a market or some other community event space.

http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/502353/141031_Revised-Chuley-Road-Masterplan_LR-Final.pdf

Either way there seems to be money to be spent on the area, for new housing and flood prevention among other things.  

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly, 'dialogue box' DH6 on the site plan states - 'An application on this site will need to demonstrate an understanding of and respect the significance of the Station Buildings', supported by an artiste's impression on a following page of a 'Station Market' using the train shed and station building.

However, in general my heart often sinks when I see the expression 'Master Plan' being used, because this to me is indicative of the faceless planning Politburo types having already decided what they want, and this being their attempt to foist it on the unsuspecting public, with a document showing lots of pretty colours and images of cool, young people perambulating around an idealised future setting...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

What is the current status of the Ashburton master plan, is it dead?

There was something in one of the magazines recently, I believe, stating that the local authority has having a rethink, given the outcry over the possible loss of the station.

• 1 year later...

A bit of dreaming would be to build the line alongside the unnamed road that connects Buckfast to Ashburton and across the fields.

The real issue is getting the line out of it's site at Buckfastleigh and bring the route back to pick up the old alignment into Ashburton.

This would mean lowering the line to tunnel under the A38. The next problem at Buckfastleigh station is the proximity of the river which would hamper such an operation.

Trains to Ashburton MIGHT happen if it were a narrow gauge 15" or similar option but there is a still a river to bridge and road crossing to make on the level at Ashburton.

Currently a passenger road train is probably the only practical affordable way to get a 'train' of any type into Ashburton, and the roads into Ashburton are not really suitable for such an option. Let the road train use the old trackbed to be able to make a fairly unhindered run down to the old station area.

SDR is a caged tiger with no chance of breaking out of its current station sites to new pastures. Up rooting and migrating to another place is equally fraught with massive expense and a huge amount of investment. Like bringing trains back to Heathfield it ain't viable except in pipe-dreams and modeling worlds.

IF the fore thought at the instigation of the preservation soc had been to buy the Budleigh to Ottery St Mary track bed breaking out to Feniton would be feasible, as might have been buying trackbed in the Teign Valley from Chudleigh to Christow. But they didn't and no amount of romantic nostalgia trip is going to change the closed in nature of the current line.

The only option left is getting access to a platform at Totnes Station and that is not likely to happen this side of hell freezing over.