Denton Brook 7mm Industrial

Giles

Guest Isambarduk

"A Bedford TK. A thing I found horrible to drive when I was young - purely because I was too tall for the cab, and had to drive with my head tilted to one side and against the cab roof."

Been there, and I agree!  We had a TK as a horsebox but we think it had been in service with the GPO, Fire Service, or some such, because it still had a sticker on the dash saying 'Ensure PTO is disengaged before driving off'.  It no longer had its PTO but perhaps it drove an auger, a winch, a pump or something.  Also, although it was first registered in 1974, it still had only about 28,000 miles on the clock when we bought it (from a scrapyard!) in 2008, so it had not spent its life hauling up and down the M1 every working day. 

post-5428-0-03833700-1483615439_thumb.jpg

The cab was small by modern standards but I think the main problem was that the seat was too high up because I only ever looked through the top 2" of the large windscreen.

David

Edited by Isambarduk

Well the MJR's TK cab has long gone - in fact the replacement TL cab (and it tilts!) is in need of a change now (a spare new ex military cab is in stock).

Oh and the Bedford 330 had to go, to be replaced by a Cummins 6B.

Oh, and the 4 speed Bedford gearbox is now a Turner 5 speed.

Re the accurate-looking IXO model - If it were not for the single spacing between the A and E of 'cakes' you could have kept the box van trailer and simply changed -

HALES CAKES      to      GILES CABLES 

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

"Well the MJR's TK cab has long gone ... and the 4 speed Bedford gearbox is now a Turner 5 speed."

I see; the same old axe but with a new handle and a new head?

Our TK had a straight 6-cylinder Bedford, can't remember what now but could it have been something like 660?  But we really shouldn't be hijacking this thread with talk road vehicles!

David

Finally got the steering axle done. I make rather heavy weather of it, and it's taken the thick end of two days. The stub axles are steel blocks cross drilled and silver soldered with stub axle, steering arm and king pin.

E313CF66-0DF1-449E-A6BB-8405209451F4_zps

Now in situ with track rod in place

CD0CC62D-8690-464E-AC12-27380A3093F3_zps

And with its rebuilt trailer

B5448A86-3B46-4B33-B154-A0F4A7027861_zps

• Like 5

The TK is now fully complete aside from weathering. The trailer had its tie-downs and light board, and all is the correct colour, and the unit's roof was stripped of the white and sprayed blue.

90DEEAF7-84D7-4AAA-AA60-496E5A52B107_zps

7CB27065-036F-460B-89E3-B4F7497FF55A_zps

• Like 10

Guest Isambarduk

"decent mirror arms"

Ah, yes, those mirror arms!  They had to be able to swing back if you drove too close to something but I never seemed to be able to get them tight enough on ours - if a huge modern high-sider passed rather close at high speed, the one on the drivers side would fly in and try to join me in the cab!  This was a bit disconcerting but it was no real bother to wind down the window and push it back out again ... but the novelty of this manoeuvre soon wore off on a lengthy joureny.

David

"decent mirror arms"

Ah, yes, those mirror arms!  They had to be able to swing back if you drove too close to something but I never seemed to be able to get them tight enough on ours - if a huge modern high-sider passed rather close at high speed, the one on the drivers side would fly in and try to join me in the cab!  This was a bit disconcerting but it was no real bother to wind down the window and push it back out again ... but the novelty of this manoeuvre soon wore off on a lengthy joureny.

David

My abiding memory of the TK... those mirrors waaaaay out on long arms, as the cab was so narrow they had to stick out far to see back down the body.

The arms & hence the mirrors would also vibrate when stopped or at very low speed, blurring the image in them. If you could get your eyeballs to vibrate at the same frequency, all well and good..... To be fair I seem to recall this affliction on the later Ford Cargo, also.

My abiding memory of the TK... those mirrors waaaaay out on long arms, as the cab was so narrow they had to stick out far to see back down the body.

The arms & hence the mirrors would also vibrate when stopped or at very low speed, blurring the image in them. If you could get your eyeballs to vibrate at the same frequency, all well and good..... To be fair I seem to recall this affliction on the later Ford Cargo, also.

At the Schweppes depot that saw me through college the drivers broke so many they were carried as spares either in the cab or back at the depot. A lot better ride than the couple of earlier Bedfords that we remained in the early 1970s and the Ford D [was that a Cargo] - looked modern but the rather short in stature driver had to stand up to control it when it was bouncing along.

Paul Bartlett

Ford D pre-dated the Ford Cargo; not the same beasts at all. The D was about as bad as the TK.

Of course when I was driving them, most of them were coming to the end of their careers, as mine was just starting, so I never got to drive any of the 'old guard' as new trucks. Including a spell of Agency driving early in my career, where by default the Agency driver got the Fleet Knacker, & it's hardly surprising my memories of old British trucks aren't exactly rosy!!

I don't really have memories of any new British trucks either, because after ERF closed, there weren't any.

Edited by F-UnitMad

In 1981-3 as Stage Manager of a touring theatre company (Great Eastern Stage, in Lincoln) our truck was a Ford D series 7 1/2 tonner, with a pantechnicon body fitted. I drove it nearly all the time, and grew very fond of it - I certainly begrudge it when it went for service and we had to borrow a TK for a couple of days!

My first agency job (on HGVs) was with an old Leyland Marathon at 38 tonnes dragging bricks. That was a heap of junk. It needed bump starting in the morning with the yards big fork lift (simply picked up the back of the trailer, and pushed the whole lot, ready or not....), and the broke a spring centre bolt on the unit's rear axle, which saw me crabbing down the A1 at an alarming angle.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

And now the crane is, I think, truly working reliably with its 4 stick transmitter....... and can join the fleet

http://youtu.be/dtmj2a92sJw

As I have commented over on WT; I was actually waiting for the lorry's suspension to sag as the cable drums were lowered onto the deck... cool.png notworthy.png wink.png ...although the driver will be in big trouble for driving with an insecure load... tongue.png smile.png

Anyway, to the matter in hand:- do I just give up modelling now, or go look for some knitting patterns first..?? confused.png redface.png cry.png