Denton Brook 7mm Industrial

Giles

What's The Yard?

The Yard is a layout four of us started building last October to be exhibited this weekend at the Orpington model railway show.

Scenic area is only 6’ x 2.5’ with 18” fiddle yards each end. The main feature of the layout is a fully working gantry crane, fed with loads via standard gauge and narrow gauge wagons along with radio controlled lorries.

The layout is still a WIP but with enough done to give a good idea of the final aim.

We cannot deny to not being inspired by the marvelous layouts of Giles and pinched some of his ideas and put our twist on them.

We also believe our overall method of presentation has put a different slant to the norm, only time will tell if we have succeeded.

From the outset we wanted a layout that was viable for one day shows, or for further afield two day shows with one car and small trailer.

After the show there will be a full SBS thread on the construction of the layout on RMWEB.

Martin

Edited by Greengiant
  • Like 1

Prior to it's visitation to 'The Yard', I've just up-graded the battery from 320mAh, which gave about 5 1/2 hours exhibition use, to a 650mAh battery, which should give 10 hours. All day..

This will make a lot of difference, particularly if I convert the Ford as well. Sadly, the crane already has a 650mAh battery in, but only lasts about 5 1/2 hours due to all the oyher motors running so frequently.

I've only very recently found a battery of this capacity this flat (about 3mm)

27840152549_a7afd5e041_c.jpgBedford TK battery by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 4

Prior to it's visitation to 'The Yard', I've just up-graded the battery from 320mAh, which gave about 5 1/2 hours exhibition use, to a 650mAh battery, which should give 10 hours. All day..

This will make a lot of difference, particularly if I convert the Ford as well. Sadly, the crane already has a 650mAh battery in, but only lasts about 5 1/2 hours due to all the oyher motors running so frequently.

I've only very recently found a battery of this capacity this flat (about 3mm)27840152549_a7afd5e041_c.jpgBedford TK battery by giles favell, on Flickr

Hi Giles,

Like you (if Ive read your comments correctly) Ive come to the conclusion that quality connectors are key wth LiPo and LiIon. Could you tell me where you buy your connectors from/the brand and what brand of batteries you use?

Also how do you stop any shorts when connecting up? Or can such only apply to the charge circuit-thus not affect the battery?

Thanks in anticipation.

Kindest,

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I simply use unbranded 2.5mm mono jacks for charging, and a fairly neat (and incidentally cheap) socket on the vehicle. The socket is plastic bodied, which helps protect it, but importantly, it disconnects the receiver whilst charging. Similarly, by it's nature, the plug is unable to short the positive and negative of the socket when being inserted or extracted- thus protecting the battery. It's very effective and reliable, but it does take space. The only vehicle I have which doesn't use this system is the Bagnall, which has Microns magnetic connector. Very good, but there is a real danger that it might pick up something steel and short itself out, so I have another magnetic blanking plate to insulate against any accidental short. On a loco with more physical space I would have the charging point on a 'switched spur' for this reason.

Here are the sockets.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcingmap®-Terminals-Female-Headphone-Socket/dp/B00HG8CTHQ/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1515689103&sr=8-16&keywords=2.5mm+jack+socket

This appears to be the battery I've just fitted to the Bedford. Lots of lovely protection circuitry.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-7V-650mAh-Li-Po-Rechargeable-Battery-303759-F-PSP-MP3-MP4-Speaker-Selfie-Stick/182470901434?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49129%26meid%3D4d6af079edbf49699bca7aef510c769c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D121929272265&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Best,

Giles

Edited by Giles

I simply use unbranded 2.5mm mono jacks for charging, and a fairly neat (and incidentally cheap) socket on the vehicle. The socket is plastic bodied, which helps protect it, but importantly, it disconnects the receiver whilst charging. Similarly, by it's nature, the plug is unable to short the positive and negative of the socket when being inserted or extracted- thus protecting the battery. It's very effective and reliable, but it does take space. The only vehicle I have which doesn't use this system is the Bagnall, which has Microns magnetic connector. Very good, but there is a real danger that it might pick up something steel and short itself out, so I have another magnetic blanking plate to insulate against any accidental short. On a loco with more physical space I would have the charging point on a 'switched spur' for this reason.

Here are the sockets.https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcingmap®-Terminals-Female-Headphone-Socket/dp/B00HG8CTHQ/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1515689103&sr=8-16&keywords=2.5mm+jack+socket

This appears to be the battery I've just fitted to the Bedford. Lots of lovely protection circuitry.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-7V-650mAh-Li-Po-Rechargeable-Battery-303759-F-PSP-MP3-MP4-Speaker-Selfie-Stick/182470901434?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49129%26meid%3D4d6af079edbf49699bca7aef510c769c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D121929272265&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Best,

Giles

Hi Giles,

Thanks so much for the informative and comprehensive reply, the Links too-all very much appreciated.

May I ask, did you wire to a standard format (is there such a thing?), or go your own way with such?

Kindest regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

This is my wiring diagram for the lorries.... (and loco, apart from the steering servo)39608740492_a02074a9b7_c.jpg2018-01-11_10-19-56 by giles favell, on Flickr

Hi Giles,

Thanks, very neat. I would like to do a lorry too sometime-when I get closer to scenery construction. With your diagram I can also think about RC for locos too, thanks for your advice and help today Giles, much appreciated, your models work very well, and Im grateful that you have shared your knowledge with us/me.

Kindest regards and warm wishes,

CME.

Looking forward to seeing how this gets round The Yard, some manouvres will be tight, one piece of wall will be moveable if space is an issue.

Martin

In real life, any wall is moveable if space is an issue for trucks!! :jester:

There's just explaining it that causes all the problems... :fool:

Here are the sockets.https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcingmap®-Terminals-Female-Headphone-Socket/dp/B00HG8CTHQ/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1515689103&sr=8-16&keywords=2.5mm+jack+socket

This appears to be the battery I've just fitted to the Bedford. Lots of lovely protection circuitry.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-7V-650mAh-Li-Po-Rechargeable-Battery-303759-F-PSP-MP3-MP4-Speaker-Selfie-Stick/182470901434?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49129%26meid%3D4d6af079edbf49699bca7aef510c769c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D121929272265&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Best,

Giles

In 00, with so much less space, I have been unable to find self-switching connectors. So use the very small jst Connectors. These are polarised to prevent incorrect orientation and fairly well insulated between the sockets. I use a single pole change over switch between the battery and the receiver / charge socket. This ensures the rx is never connected to the charger and there is no risk of metal getting into the connector and causing a short when driving. Its not perfect, but an improvement on not having the switched connector.

• Like 1

The new 650mAh battery provided two solid and quite intensive exhibition days service on one charge! Absolutely great for us, and ghe logistics of the exhibition, and extremely impressive.

Next job will be to see if I can fit one of these under the red one. It also makes me wonder if the Bagnall will also run for two days..... I suspect it might!

• 7 months later...

Just to prove the Wren actually works! As a reminder, it's a reworked Mark Clarke kit, with 5mm taken off the width of everything (except the saddle tank) to bring it down to the correct width.

• Like 11