Denton Brook 7mm Industrial

Giles

In between other things today I've managed to assemble the other main building for Denton Brook, courtesy of the Emblazer. This is the one that straddles the works tracks. I've got the various doors and windows cut and ready, although I want to make a fire escape. It will be roofed in corrugated iron, in contrast to the other buildings

78D964AE-BA1B-438F-B542-6322865CC5B4_zps

A6F930E6-B340-450A-8B1F-FA4E9D7A1E18_zps

This is all 'single brick' drawn, window cills are cut in situ, and will be refitted proud.

• Like 8

The last on this subject......

Fire escapes complete (apart from painting). I had one rail fail to cut cleanly out of the five, which was pretty reasonable, given how fine they are, and that I chose 3 passes to cut (thereby relying on very accurate registration)

2821B37E-F01A-4D03-A67D-E78D356A4146_zps

I love this machine.....!

• Like 4

All the laser work of the Denton Brook building is finished and assembled. Windows fitted, the cills were cut in situ, and pulled forward. Some bricks were cut out (probably too many), the building still awaits weathering - together with roof (corrugated) gutters etc.....

F920E1AB-8795-41B8-99D9-6C680E11A83B_zps

4FDD4826-6553-44D5-9BB5-1A00DE2CCB00_zps

69F3CCF2-CDA7-4969-A7F1-2AEB1CE2A185_zps

• Like 8

In my search for the correct plasticard substitute, I came across a material that allows me to do this in 0.8mm. It's fairly bendy, so doesn't break when you're glueing them on (i haven't broken any at all...) - but it needs superglueing, as MEK etc won't do the biz....

That's fine, as in this application I was fitting then onto a ply board (lasered with locating slots) in any case.

a2a6722e3cee6440d4aa2f5cb66db602_zpsyhbw

409b372527b5365ed121bea6ae1d6488_zpsg3pr

The gutter was a 3mm u rib from an old umbrella, and the board was lasered with the slots giving a slight 'fall' to the gutter. The brackets are amazingly resilient. I could probably fold one in half before inflicting damage on it. The thickness of the support is about 0.35mm

• Like 8

Finally I've got this building just about done (there's always a couple more jobs to do.....). I find buildings difficult and labour-intensive, although this one has been much easier by using the laser cutter. I feel I'm now reasonably fluent, so if I want a part, I can just cut it, so to speak.

I should have been struggling to do the fire escape any other way, in any event (other than etching it in brass, of course).

The stone wall at the bottom is a piece of 18mm ply, covered in fire cement, embossed and carved - it took a surprising amount of time to do!

I'm not particularly happy with any of the painting - but that is very much my weak point (I don't count polishing locos!)

615B31EE-8A36-4366-AA95-1818D00F943B_zps

E2FCFA53-8790-4E87-9D93-DDBA0C7CC54D_zps

3D1CD045-9730-45DC-A2CA-B6DB1B8A6EDB_zps

Edited by Giles
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

It's back to a mixture of work - I've finally finished all the track laying - and it works!!!!!! (not counting fiddle yards of course....)

I've been able to carry on laying setts (now the narrow gauge track is there), and of course that leads to other details....

IMG_0239_zpsrcsiufsp.jpg

IMG_0242_zpsyljc5myk.jpg

These drains are copied from outside our house (so 1930's vintage) in black Tromark. I think I would produce these for sale if there was interest.

Edited by Giles
  • Like 14

The drain grilles are £4.80 for a pack of 6, plus 64p first class stamp! If anyone wants them....

I've also been playing around with the round drain covers that you find in the middle of the road with some success, but these take more laser time as they're 'etched'. However, if anyone actually wanted any, let me know.

IMG_0247_zpsrqsoramd.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 4

In the early hours of this morning I had a bit of an idea as to how to get round the problem I was having with lasering small holes and slots in plastic (acrylic). It has been this that prevented me from making the fire escape for Denton Brook in Trotec, and forcing me to make it in 0.8mm ply - which actually works extremely well.....

However, the thinnest ply I can get is 0.8mm, and it still has some limitations, so the problem needed solving.

I set to work, and after a couple of hours adjusting, I cracked it. The upshot is that I'll be able to supply fire escapes in Trotec - not only in 7mm, but in 4mm as well!

IMG_0259_zpsrzdcxst3.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so grateful to say that I've finally finished the cobbled yard (setts, actually!), barring finishing with ash, which will tone it all down and fill the cracks. It's lovely and uneven - very three-dimensional - which is very much what I wanted. I'll see what it looks like finished off and tied in with surrounding ground.

A6976074-DBFC-4B50-908B-F8B5B9A7660D_zps

• Like 11

I've been playing further with the laser, producing useful components, and now this is getting silly. Two sizes of nuts 1.5mm AF (actual) to fit 0.8mm wire or rod, or - 1.05mm AF, to fit 0.5mm wire or rod. This is as small as I can go, and I dare say no-one would want these anyway (they're very small!)

If anyone wants them - £3.80 per hundred, but your eye-sight will need to be good!

Nuts%20Small_zpskkivfq8l.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Throughout all, I've been gently progressing Denton Brook, (apart from the very front, which I'll do last so it doesn't get damaged) and I've got the bulk of it very nearly ready for grass....

IMG_0392_zpsexf2j3dt.jpg

IMG_0383_zpsfiip4gcp.jpg

IMG_0389_zpsysmbliva.jpg

I'm still in several minds as to what I shall be doing with fiddle yards, including whether to have a 'road fiddle' at the open end or whether to bring lorries in along Tram Road.... Certainly to begin with, rail wise there will only be one fiddle at the factory end. Operating this little lot is a little unknown as to how it will pan out in practice, what with two gauges of railways, road, and two cranes.....

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Giles,

Any thoughts yet on a back scene for the layout - both The Loop and The End of the Line had one at the back and to the right as viewed from the front - will Denton Brook be the same?

Hi Adrian - the jury is still out - it will certainly have something. There's a very vague possibility that the back scene may stop short at the buildings for viewing at three sides at the end - a sort of peninsula layout..... An exhibition managers nightmare!

An elderly 'foreigner' arrived at Denton Brook - obviously having languished somewhere forgotten for far too many years, as it's still wearing it's old LNER lettering. I dare say in the near future time will catch up with it, and someone will insist it gets properly attired in its BR identity....

IMG_0435_zpsfmwumet0.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian - the jury is still out - it will certainly have something. There's a very vague possibility that the back scene may stop short at the buildings for viewing at three sides at the end - a sort of peninsula layout..... An exhibition managers nightmare!

Us exhibition managers - we like a challenge!   :scratchhead:

A few of these will get fitted to the buildings around Denton Brook. They are cable brackets, such as one occasionally saw on factory walls, and quite often seen on the face of platforms.

3EF9DE20-245E-4B01-AD3C-71E48E128520_zps

• Like 2

A somewhat impressionistic view of work in progress - grass now stretches into the distance..... even if there are no fences are anything....

Working on the crane has been a distraction, but the main job continues!

IMG_0453_zpsglx8wctj.jpg

• Like 11