Heljan O Gauge Class 37 - new versions being discussed

Cliff Williams

Speaking to Heljan at Model Rail Glasgow there is some thought to a new O Gauge Class 37 version being done.

It would appear to be very early days on this, but they are thinking of a centre headcode 37/0 which could be done in green and blue.

Personally I think they would do well with a large logo blue 37/4, finish it without numbers.

Yes there are detail differences on the 37/4s - I know as I am building a few just now, but these could be addressed by the purchaser.

The downside though are the numbers - up to 800 units with the one mould.

So is there a demand for a 37/4 LLB?

I think there is as I had friends rattle off a dozen in a few minutes, then the Gent from Newcastle who spied my DJH 37 402 being showed to Heljan said there could be another dozen needed there.

So show your interest here and lets see if a 37/4 LLB is economically viable for them.

To whet your appetite here is a picture of my 37 402 passing a lightly modified Heljan 37.

post-3421-0-31630200-1424689029_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cliff Williams
  • Like 5

Hi Cliff and Phil

My own preference would be a 37/0 as it would be suitable for a longer time frame from BR Green onwards and covered a large area of the country whereas, the 37/4's were a small sub class mainly though not exclusivly allocated to Scotland and 6 for Wales and the borders.

Phil, up to a point I would agree, but, the off putting word in your post is "kit" which means either you have to have the skills to build it(which I don't) or get it built and painted which would push the cost at into 4 figures.

Ian

Phil

Phil, up to a point I would agree, but, the off putting word in your post is "kit" which means either you have to have the skills to build it(which I don't) or get it built and painted which would push the cost at into 4 figures.

Ian

I wouldn't let that put you off Ian, they really are very simple glue together kits.

Phill :)

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)

I agree that the JLTRT kit would make a more accurate model. Nevertheless no matter how easy they are to put together by the time you buy motor/motors, wheels and gears paint decals then figure out how fit lights the Heljan starts to look a more attractive choice,. After weighing up the same issues in the end I choose a Heljan 40 and for now I can live with its body niggles

I too would plum for a centre headcode 37/0 but it would need to be an improvement over their previous split box version 

Regards

Bob

• Like 1

JLTRT are not 100% easy to build at all. Even Brian is struggling with the 22 at the moment

Often body parts don't line up, roofs wrong shape compare to the body. End walls that don't match the profile of the sides. Poorly thought through build order resulting in lots of bodging and filler to make things right.

But with the right work they do make up into a nice representation of the real thing.

Anyway, back on topic. Do the right thing Heljan, do the 37/0.

Yes definitely a 37/0 centre headcode - they would sell loads (JUST MAKE SURE THEY GET THE FRONT CAB WINDOWS AT THE CORRECT ANGLE!!!!!!!!!!!) if it is a new mould and don't create the Class 40 problems. As has been said above a 37/4 can be made from a 37/0 with a little bit of effort.

I personally think that now Heljan are getting close to JLTRT prices, I would go for the more accurate JLTRT kit myself.

i was contemplating the Heljan 40 or JLTRT but for me I have little time so Heljan won and to be honest I could overlook the incorrect details, that's my view anyway. I would love a centre Headcode 37 maybe a centre Headcode 20 as well.

One issue I would urge Heljan to get right on any new 37 would be to add front window surround seals to the body moulding and not as part of the glazing as per their first 37 release

It looks cxxx on a 4mm Bachmann version and to my mind spoilt Heljan first 37 attempt

The Heljan 40 has them so no excuse should they come back with a new Class 37

Edited by Silverstreak

JLTRT are not 100% easy to build at all. Even Brian is struggling with the 22 at the moment

Often body parts don't line up, roofs wrong shape compare to the body. End walls that don't match the profile of the sides. Poorly thought through build order resulting in lots of bodging and filler to make things right.

But with the right work they do make up into a nice representation of the real thing.

Anyway, back on topic. Do the right thing Heljan, do the 37/0.

Only problem with the 22 I have seen is Brian's wise choice to make the bogie side frames removable.........as I say Heljan's multiple faults & £500+ price tag make the a poor deal for me personally ( I own 4 Heljan O gauge loco's)

Only problem with the 22 I have seen is Brian's wise choice to make the bogie side frames removable.........as I say Heljan's multiple faults & £500+ price tag make the a poor deal for me personally ( I own 4 Heljan O gauge loco's)

i do agree with you to some degree, the deltic was pretty bad, but maybe I was being too critical. It wouldn't take much to get their models nearer the mark. Edited by delticfan

I agree the 37/0 would be a better choice although if they do the skirted version they are only suitable for green, blue and 37183 in Large logo, whereas the cut away version is suitable for Blue and a myriad of other colours right up to current day. 

I was seriously tempted by their split box 37/0 but it had a look of being scaled up from the second release Bachmann 4mm version as a lot of the detail was clunky and there are similarities in the windscreen and roof which had the same deficiencies.

I think the original would be the best option, then with after market detailing parts from maybe Pete Harvey you could create any of the sub variants. I wouldn't under estimate how popular the green version would be.

I hope this happens then who knows maybe we will get a retooled 47 as well.

:nono: not for FoD use...

:yes: oh, well just one...

maybe you ought to be putting the case for a Teddy Bear

Yes, for FoD use... :P a 37/0 pulled the last wagons from Marsh Wharf in 1976. It was 37 270.

As for Teddy Bears.... anyone want a half-finished PRMRP (or whatever it is) kit??

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1