Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Gold

Didn't know you had a love of meat tins Ian still everyone to their own.  :mosking:

Oi,you....do not insult the memory of a journey behind 21C3 ...or 35003 as she was in 1958... and remember Grand Inquisitor James is on the loose with his pack of slavering malachite hounds,ready to process your remains through a chain drive

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Oi,you....do not insult the memory of a journey behind 21C3 ...or 35003 as she was in 1958... and remember Grand Inquisitor James is on the loose with his pack of slavering malachite hounds,ready to process your remains through a chain drive

The eternally grateful Men in Malachite, will only be to happy to help you with this non-Believer, after all it was you that inspired their most successful re-education device...  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Someone in the shop told me he preferred the rebuilt version over these ones. Fear not though, the Men in Malachite have been informed and he will be "Air Smoothed" in due course! ;)

Alex

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Someone in the shop told me he preferred the rebuilt version over these ones. Fear not though, the Men in Malachite have been informed and he will be "Air Smoothed" in due course! ;)

Alex

Oh he's going to be a lucky man, he'll be going to the MiM's brand new facility on the Darkside of the Moon - Air Smoothing takes 6 times longer there...  :jester:  :jester:

And of course 'In Space No One Can Here You Scream ' ;)

Edited by toboldlygo

Alex

To plagiarize Yoda - "Both. Or none. There is no preferred"  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

To plagiarize Yoda - "Both. Or none. There is no preferred"  :jester:

I've had to return mine to it's owner. Form is temporary ,class is permanent. Now where's my Castle.....

• 2 months later...

I can think of a few things for the Golden Arrow, trouble is the U type did not appear until the early 50s, probably too late for - say - Port Line in BR Blue. However I can see U type plus a 71 in a pack called "The First Electric hauled Golden Arrow" coming out at some point to compliment the "The Last Steam Hauled Golden Arrow" done previously.

Guest Midland Mole

For the first post-war Golden Arrow, 21C1 had the short-lived first form of pressed-out smoke deflectors.

Not sure Hornby has allowed tooling for those.

Hornby said they had done quite a few tooling options for the new Merchant Navy locos, so I would not be surprised if this version is possible. Obviously only time will tell. :)

Fantastic film, really great find!

Alex

• RMweb Premium

I can think of a few things for the Golden Arrow, trouble is the U type did not appear until the early 50s, probably too late for - say - Port Line in BR Blue. However I can see U type plus a 71 in a pack called "The First Electric hauled Golden Arrow" coming out at some point to compliment the "The Last Steam Hauled Golden Arrow" done previously.

Hopefully Hornby decides to add the U-Type Pullman’s to its fleet of Pullman’s so far produced.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Surely the perfect candidate for a future train pack. And an amazing colour record of the fantastic Golden Arrow for the late 40’s.

https://youtu.be/Yoy8NesN45I

Interesting that 21C1 only took the train out of Victoria: by the time it reaches the Kent countryside a West Country has taken over and can be seen later arriving at Dover....

• RMweb Gold

Or a late crest General Steam Navigation variant !

Yes please. Definitely the top air-smoothed MN on my wanted list.

Channel Packet and New Zealand Line also received cut-down tenders whilst still in that condition, though both retained the early crest until the locos were rebuilt.

John

First run of the U type Pullman Golden Arrow was 11 June 1951.

At that time there were four unrebuilt Merchant Navy class in the Stewart's Lane Golden Arrow stable, 35026, 35027, 35028, 35030, all in blue.

35028 and 35030 were also used on the K type Pullman Golden Arrow in malachite prior to 1951. And of course they all went into BR green from 1952/3 onwards.

So Hornby has a considerable choice of loco colour and Pullman types in any future unrebuilt Merchant Navy Golden Arrow set.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
Hornby said they had done quite a few tooling options for the new Merchant Navy locos, so I would not be surprised if this version is possible. Obviously only time will tell. :)

According to Hattons, the blue Merchant Navy has now slipped to April 2019. Don't Hornby know that they would get lots more cash in the bank if they'd got around to releasing it much earlier? I'm sure many, like me, would have purchased at least one if it had been available earlier (last year even!)

According to Hattons, the blue Merchant Navy has now slipped to April 2019. Don't Hornby know that they would get lots more cash in the bank if they'd got around to releasing it much earlier? I'm sure many, like me, would have purchased at least one if it had been available earlier (last year even!)

Thanks for that, Paul. I am beginning to wonder whether production slots for British company 00 RTR manufacture is becoming either more expensive or simply less available than previously. It is after all often for very limited numbers. Are not Chinese market railway models an expanding business?

It does rather make such as the upcoming Lord Nelson seem even more desirable!

Pricing and availability of manufacturing capacity is of course something that Hornby keeps close to its chest, if indeed it has the ability to rely on contractors' promises.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

As a point of historical interest,did one stray onto the South Devon banks at any time ? Just trying to control a bout of apoplexy at the sight.But you are right,it does look wonderful.A permanent or temporary resident,Robin ?

27th April 1948, 35019 French Line CGT, during the Locomotive Exchange Trials. 

There was no physical reason to prevent a MN working to Plymouth via the GWR but it wouldn't have looked good for the SR to send their flagship engines down the competitors line when they weren't permitted on their own route.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...