Midland, Ohio in O

Northpoint

I'm sure you're all familiar with the classic Box St plan designed by Shortliner Jack several years ago. I built it about 12 years ago in HO and it was the first layout I built which was really fun to operate.

post-6943-0-47829300-1425054483_thumb.jpg

A few months ago I was forunate enouigh to obtain a quantity of Atlas O scale stock at such a good price it would have been rude not to buy it.

post-6943-0-07406700-1425054360_thumb.jpg

post-6943-0-35734200-1425054390_thumb.jpg

It's been sat in the garage for all that time as I was debating how to build a small switching layout in O not having done anything in this scale before. Finally, the light bulb moment occured and I thought - Box St. Those familiar with the original plan will notice I have changed the left hand end slightly.

So, the track has been delivered and the timber store has been raided. This afternoon we are here:

post-6943-0-19430900-1425054402_thumb.jpg

One board of two made; hopefully the second this weekend.

Early days yet. I try and work quickly once I get the motivation (not as quick as some, I know!) so watch this space.

Edited by Northpoint
  • Like 14

A few months ago I was fortunate enough to obtain a quantity of Atlas O scale stock at such a good price it would have been rude not to buy it.

Ah yes - haven't we all fallen for the odd "rude not to" bargain in our time? That said, you appear to be actually doing something interesting with yours! My "unmissable" bargains tend to fill ever-increasing numbers of boxes, waiting for inspiration to strike. But good luck with this - it's a deceptively simple-looking plan with lots of possibility.

Latest update. rain stopped play initially this morning but the umpires decided about 10.30 that it was OK to resume.

Board 1 now has legs and a lip to support board 2:

post-6943-0-98119600-1425128746_thumb.jpg

Board 2 made but no legs yet (ran out of timber):

post-6943-0-92280400-1425128807_thumb.jpg

And here's the two boards together with the track put roughly where it will go:

post-6943-0-27575100-1425128847_thumb.jpg

More in the next few days hopefully.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Does this mean he's going to suggest O modular next? ;)

Having made a similar type of' rude not to' purchase last week (G scale steamy) I hang my head as I just took it out the box and stuck it on the shelf with no track.

• RMweb Gold

Its going to be difficult to use this as a module at the Freemo meet!!!

Nah it's all part of perspective modelling, Nick by the door as you walk in, then the rest of us with Ho in the middle and Dan in the far corner with his N :)
  • Like 1

Hmmmmm ... FreemO.  How do we start?  Is this American standard http://home.earthlink.net/~mcjackson/Free-Mo_O_Scale_Standards.pdf a bit heavyweight?

I was spoilt up in Morecambe with a huge O-scale 4-track track Club layout for us to run long American trains on (www.mandhmrc.com next American day Sunday 15 March), but after my move down south a home layout looks necessary, so keep the pics coming Nick.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Quick change it to homage Nick ;)

I always fancied doing this with the G scale US stuff but sold it in before I got round to it. I was looking at a modern version using a rake of parked doublestacks as the backscene, a mate had a few I could borrow or it'd have been the most expensive backscene around :)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, nothing else much has happened over the weekend.

In answer to the question about the track - it is Peco code 148 flat bottom. Easily obtained from a certain discount house in South Yorkshire.

However, I have found it is a different beast to the HO/OO version. It is surprisingly flexible given the size of the rail and I think tracklaying will be interesting.

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, nothing else much has happened over the weekend.

In answer to the question about the track - it is Peco code 148 flat bottom. Easily obtained from a certain discount house in South Yorkshire.

However, I have found it is a different beast to the HO/OO version. It is surprisingly flexible given the size of the rail and I think tracklaying will be interesting.

Doesn't the Peco Code 143 have Pandrol clips? That might look a bit odd in a backwoods USA shunting location. Bit heavyweight too I think.