Bailey Gate

Yep, the very same Bob Downes, a good chap, but I'm beginning to wonder if the memory is as good as it should be ???

That's him, Lord Downes, the Baron of Blandford Forum.

Bless him

As regards the track plan, for what period exactly are you seeking such plans and what are the discrepancies which you have found? With some clarity about the 'issues', it might then be possible to answer them.

The period Chris is the late 50's until the closure.

Of all the books i have, i noticed that most are free hand drawings of the area.

I think it was Mac Hawkins book or the C.R. Potts book have good maps but not the best.

I'll keep looking

I have a copy of a 1955 drawing of the track plan made by BR,SR, CCE Dept., Exeter district ( drawing number 10/2266L/M.9), via a friend in our club who is a member of the S&DRT, it's from the S&DRT archive ref D1159b, it's for the building of our next club layout at Blandford, and I wont copy it out of respect for possible copyright infringement, why don't you try the S&DRT.

Edited by bike2steam

If 1955, does it show the Unigate siding (points 14 etc)? I suspect 71H will want that detail.

You might want to ask about the copyright anyway, 'cos I know that certainly with the signal diagrams obtained from BR(S) there was permission granted for publication and copying for research etc (somewhere I think I still have a copy of the BR letter!), so the same might apply with other BR material. Sadly the person who would certainly know is no longer with us :-(

If 1955, does it show the Unigate siding (points 14 etc)? I suspect 71H will want that detail.

You might want to ask about the copyright anyway, 'cos I know that certainly with the signal diagrams obtained from BR(S) there was permission granted for publication and copying for research etc (somewhere I think I still have a copy of the BR letter!), so the same might apply with other BR material. Sadly the person who would certainly know is no longer with us :-(

That's the one, for the installation of point 14, some 160 feet beyond 10, 'might' is the magic word, so as this drawing was acquired thro' a S&DRT member for 'research', and help in construction of our next layout. One thing I don't want to do is 'tread on the toes' of a group that has been very helpful, we have close ties with, and has worked in close cooperation with our club.

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

On page 167 of Mac Hawkins Then & Now book, there is a 1936 map.

That is the sort of map i need but late 50's - early 70's.

I too am building a model of Bailey Gate in the early 1960s period.  So far I've only laid and wired track (DCC), there's no buildings or scenery yet because I may move home and have much more room for a less squashed layout, but all the points and sidings etc are there.  Most of my time has been spent building up a collection of the correct locos and rolling stock, I've certainly renumbered a couple of dozen locos.

My Mac Hawkins book has the track plan map (no 18) on page 265.  This is the 1936 map, so doesn't have the later additions.  I got the later additions from the commonly available (online) signal box type diagram, see attachment below.  As far as I can see this has an error at the top in that it shows the line that goes to the dairy siding as 'forking'  whereas it should just be as the 1936 map (the fork shouldn't be there ?).  However, if you just add the new Unigate 'loop siding' from this signal box diagram to the 1936 map it will be correct (I think).  I have verified this by studying loads and loads of photos and videos.  Ok, you cant get the dimensions of the Unigate 'loop siding' from this but the track plan should be correct 

post-12784-0-75378600-1431591691_thumb.jpg

Edited by Combe Martin

I'm glad you found my drawing useful :-)

Given that it is now (almost) 40 year old <gulp> and was based on an earlier drawing from George Pryer (long before he did his 'books'), then it may well be the case that the siding information is incorrect in parts. Any accurate corrections supported by the appropriate evidence are always useful, especially as I am in the process - intermittently - of updating my web-page on Bailey Gate anyway. I also have somewhere now IIRC the information about the distances of all the points and signals from the signal-box.

I too am building a model of Bailey Gate in the early 1960s period.  So far I've only laid and wired track (DCC), there's no buildings or scenery yet because I may move home and have much more room for a less squashed layout, but all the points and sidings etc are there.  Most of my time has been spent building up a collection of the correct locos and rolling stock, I've certainly renumbered a couple of dozen locos.

My Mac Hawkins book has the track plan map (no 18) on page 265.  This is the 1936 map, so doesn't have the later additions.  I got the later additions from the commonly available (online) signal box type diagram, see attachment below.  As far as I can see this has an error at the top in that it shows the line that goes to the dairy siding as 'forking'  whereas it should just be as the 1936 map (the fork shouldn't be there ?).  However, if you just add the new Unigate 'loop siding' from this signal box diagram to the 1936 map it will be correct (I think).  I have verified this by studying loads and loads of photos and videos.  Ok, you cant get the dimensions of the Unigate 'loop siding' from this but the track plan should be correct 

Spot on Combe Martin.

The fork is the problem as you said. :jester:

Years ago, i met a bloke whom had this original signal box 'map' & he also had the WC 34107 Blandford Forum name plates too.

Interesting chap to talk too he was.

If only the Mac Hawkins map was say 1950's onwards, i wouldn't be scratching my head so much lol   :scratchhead:

I've looked but havn't found anything with the track still in place.  I have seen a video somewhere with a very brief shot of a class 33 (so after closure) up at the "dairy end" past the point where the "loops" converge and there's no sign of that point leading to the fork.  But it is a very brief view, blink and you'd miss it ! 

Edited by Combe Martin

• 2 years later...

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread but Railwest asked "....Photos of Bailey Gate looking northwards from the road over-bridge seem extremely rare, but does any one please know of any (preferably later BR period) which show the Up Advanced Starting signal (No 15) clearly enough to be able to determine whether or not it had a ‘Rule 55 exempt’ diamond sign?....."

I have found some long lost photos I took on Sunday 6th March 1966. They are poor photos it is true and taken in poor light but there two photos which may help to answer the above query. Both are of the signal in question.

tn_gallery_292_4409_346763.jpgtn_gallery_292_4409_69275.jpg

• Like 3