New Zealand Railways and Preservation - what's there?

avonside1563

I'm going to New Zealand, South Island, for 2 weeks in November and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on any railway things to do or places to visit. We're definitely taking a trip on the Trans Alpine from Christchurch to Greymouth but besides that is there any steam I could sneak in?

Recommendations welcome.

Thanks.

I've only visited North Island (a long time ago) and most of my printed information is quite dated, but it's fair to say that there's a fairly strong and active preservation movement in New Zealand, in many ways similar to the UK.  To give some idea of the potential, a 2000 booklet listed some 37 locations on South Island where there were preserved, dumped or stored heritage locomotives and trams.

The largest preservation site on South Island is at Ferrymead (Christchurch), where a national railway museum has long been in planning and construction stage.  I don't know the current status, and whether the collection is normally accessible, but hopefully a bit of Googling should help and you may be able to negotiate a visit even it hasn't opened to the public by the time of your trip.  There are other locations in and around Christchurch, including the Canterbury Steam Preservation Society (http://www.steamscene.co.nz/) and the Christchurch Tramway.

Near Greymouth is the site of the Omoto Locomotive Dump - one of the locations where steam locomotives were used as river or coastal ballast.  I'm not sure what reains to be seen.  The Shantytown Bush Tramway is also here.

Sadly, it seems that the most famous steam operation, the Kingston Flyer, has ceased until a new owner/operator can be found.

Aside from steam, the Wanaka Transport Museum is fantastic, hundreds of cars, planes, trucks, etc. Lake Wanaka is nice to cycle around.

Are you going to Milford Sound? It would be a shame to go all that way and not see it - it is breathtaking. There is a lesser known Sound close to Milford, less accessible but not nearly as busy/touristy, and by all accounts even more spectacular. Its name escapes me I'm afraid.

The long drive to Mount Cook is fantastic, as is the 60 ish mile drive back up the same road you've just come down!

Lake Tekapo is bleak and beautiful, or at least it was in the Kiwi winter when I visited.

I was in NZ in 2000.

Travelled on the Kingston Flyer, real shame that it doesn't run at the moment. Hope it will again.

The Trans Alpine is well worth doing, don't miss that. Hopefully they still have some open carriages in the rake where you can photograph from outside. We also travelled from Christchurch to Kaikora and back on a train that ran to and from Picton, I think. That was a great run along the coast but I don't know if it still runs.

There is a preserved railway near Dunedin, the Taieri Gorge railway. We didn't get as far as that but I believe the scenery is very good.  Not steam but now-vintage diesel  (triple bogie DJ class).

As EddieB says there is the Ferrymead preservation site near Christchurch.

There is a good yahoo group on NZ railways here

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NewZealandLocomotives/info

and also on Facebook   https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewZealandLocomotives/

There are steam excursions,  plenty of youtube clips on past ones, they  look very good.  I've copied a recent railtour list from the NZ loco group above, som eare north Island of course.

Tourist and Tour Season special trains.

7 March 2015 Steam Inc. Mangaweka Express Paekakariki – Taihape Ja 1271.

22 March 2015 F & D Steam Rail Society Feiding – Masterton – Wellington – Feilding Diesel Hauled.

12 April 2015 F & D Steam Rail Society Raurimu Rover – High Voltage Electric Train.

19 April 2015 F & D Steam Rail Society Pahiatua Railway Excursion via Manawatu Gorge.

25 April 2015 Steam Inc The Anzac Express Palmerston North – Wellington Ab 608.

26 April 2015 Steam Inc. The Ruapehu Anzac Express Palmerston North – Waiouru or Ohakune.

10 May 2015 Steam Inc. The Grand Circle Cruise

20 June 2015 Steam Inc Double Thunder

19 October until 8 November 2015 Steam Inc. Centennial South Island Tour with Ab 608. Visits Picton – Christchurch – Oamaru – Dunedin – Invercargill – Bluff – Middlemarch – Greymouth – Hokitika – Westport – Ngakawau – Waipara(Weka Pass Railway) – Picton.

Hope this helps, you won't be disappointed in NZ, at the very least you can watch Lord of the Rings and know you've been where it was filmed.....

Post how you get on!

Hope this helps.

Bill

Edited by railroadbill

I can recommend Ferrymead, Weka Pass Railway, Ocean Beach Railway, Dunedin Railways (formerly Taieri Gorge Railway) and the Christchurch trams. On the main line, the Coastal Pacific from Picton to Christchurch is very scenic and hugs the coast for long stretches.

I haven't been to Blenheim Riverside Railway or Nelson Railway Society but have a look on their web sites for info.

Kingston Flyer is still closed but you might be able to have a walk around the yard.

Dunedin station itself is worth a look. Very impressive Renaissance revival style architecture.

A wonderful bit of steam that isn't a train is the TSS Earnslaw on Lake Wakatipu at Queenstown. In think even SWMBO would agree to a 90 min lake cruise. The boilers and triple expansion engines were built by NZR in 1912 and she is the oldest A1 classified ship on the Lloyd's Register.

Cheers
David

• RMweb Premium

Just on my way back home from NZ, I was at Ferrymead yesterday looking at the diesel locos, all very accessible but steam was all liked up. Generally NZ preservation locations are very accessible and Kiwis are always friendly and helpful. Don't miss the Driving Creek Railway if you are anywhere near Coromandel, it's an amazing 15in gauge railway. KiwiRail is only freight, tourist trains (expensive) and Auckland/Wellington suburban. Coal trains up Arthur's Pass are pretty impressive though. Waiting in Sydney airport for next flight, plenty of time to write this.

Nothing new but endorsement of previously mentioned 'attractions'. The TranzAlpine is just superb - the trip to Greymouth is spectacular and well worth the price. The ride north to Picton is also very picturesque. I can also recommend the Taieri Gorge Railway if you are in Dunedin. 

When I was there in 2012, I also took the opportunity to watch a bit of freight traffic around Christchurch. Lyttleton Harbour was an interesting site if I remember rightly. 

Edited by south_tyne

The ride north to Picton is also very picturesque.

Make sure you get a seat on the coast side of the train. The more-or-less continuous view of rock faces at close range on the inland side gets a bit boring after a while....

Make sure you get a seat on the coast side of the train. The more-or-less continuous view of rock faces at close range on the inland side gets a bit boring after a while....

I was given a seat on the rocky side of the train (back when it was called the Tranz Coastal) but after my ticket was checked I spent the rest of the journey hanging out the side of the observation car.

I did much the same on the Tranz Alpine in near freezing weather, although they made me go inside for the Otira Tunnel.

Cheers

David

• Like 2

As a kiwi I haven't actually done much rail fanning in the South Island. I can recommend the Tairei Gorge Railway and the Dunedin station is worth a visit. Oamaru would also be worth a visit as they have a small heritage railway there and the limestone architecture is really nice. As for preservation sites and steam I believe Ferrymead, Weka Pass in North Canterbury and Pleasant Point are all very good. Coal trains on the midland line (route of the Tranz Alpine) are a must see.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Cheers, Les

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This is what the coal trains look like leaving the top end of the Otira tunnel.

post-1643-0-52001500-1425906882_thumb.jpg

The three banker locos are attached at the front of the train - apparently when run at the back as most would expect the two leading locos sucked all the oxygen out of the air in the single line tunnel before it got to the three at the back. Some of the DX locos have been modified with low level air intakes and the loco crews have breathing apparatus....

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nzflyer

Pleasant Point is a definate. The Ford Model T railcar there is a replica of what used to run on the branch lines around where I live in Wyndham, in eastern Southland, the most southern province in the South Island. They are thinking of moving the Kingston Flyer down to Invercargill (home of Henry the Tuatara, a beloved hippie mayor and empty buildings) in a hope to attract tourists who love all things vintage. We'd have the 'Flyer' the Bill Richardson Transport World (for any avid vintage trucking fan) which is currently being expanded and the home of the late Burt Munro, a man who broke the world speed record at Bonneville back in the '60s. I've been to the train in Dunedin (Ocean Beach Railway) one steam locomotive and coach. It's very cute and very enjoyable. The adjacent model club may be open and working the layouts. Dunedin is a student city and the university there was New Zealand's first. I've never been to Weka Pass but it seems absolutely enticing and oh yes if you fit enough the Taieri Gorge Railway will take you right into the heart of Central Otago where you can bike the old railway route to Clyde (although at this time of year it's bitterly cold and come July it's a winter wonderland). The KiwiRail locomotives here in New Zealand are brightly coloured and rugged. New Zealand's railway history is really something, I encourage you to travel by train wherever you can. Although it's 75 years since Air New Zealand was born and there is a nice exhibition on at Te Papa Museum in the nation's capital in Wellington (also flying Air New Zealand is something not to be missed, it's one of the top ten safest airlines in the world). 

• 8 months later...

Well, got back almost two weeks ago and really didn't want to leave NZ. What a fabulous place and fantastic people. Managed to find quite a bit of railway bits and pieces on our travels, despite not having planned that much including; the Nelson Railway in Founders Park, A nicely plinthed Barclay in Havelock, bits of recovered locos at Oamaru and the interestingly butchered diesel at the Steampunk HQ there (didn't get to see much of the preserved stock there), Shantytown (including a ride on the Sharp Stewart that was in steam), a good potter around Kingston and all the stock for the Kingston Flyer. Plus the Trans-Alpine from Greymouth the Christchurch which must be one of the top journeys in the world for scenery! When I get more time I'll post some photos on here but here's a couple for starters.

post-8705-0-38024400-1449154661_thumb.jpg

Nice little Barclay plinthed at Havelock

post-8705-0-60087500-1449154872_thumb.jpg

Ex NZR DS class diesel with modifications at the Steampunk HQ Oamaru

post-8705-0-96640300-1449154658_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Here's a selection of photos from the Nelson Railway, Founders Park, Nelson.

post-8705-0-22504200-1449159065_thumb.jpg

Wf403, very close to steaming for the first time since the late 1960s. Work has included a new firebox.

post-8705-0-22395300-1449159064_thumb.jpg

DSA 262, Hunslet 0-6-DM

post-8705-0-13087800-1449159061_thumb.jpg

TR62, couldn't find out who built this.

post-8705-0-44420900-1449159062_thumb.jpg

post-8705-0-41326500-1449159066_thumb.jpg

The society built railcar used for light days.

• Like 8

A lunchtime stop in Kingston gave me chance to take a look at the state of the Kingston Flyer. Sad to see but interesting to note the complete lack of vandalism despite being effectively abandoned at present.

post-8705-0-96318000-1449159565_thumb.jpg

post-8705-0-37596700-1449159567_thumb.jpg

This lovely vehicle was found at the lakeside pier, easily accessible and remarkably completely intact, not even one broken window.

post-8705-0-59387200-1449159570_thumb.jpg

Interior view of the coach pictured above.

post-8705-0-97709000-1449159568_thumb.jpg

post-8705-0-33443600-1449159572_thumb.jpg

post-8705-0-88274200-1449159685_thumb.jpg

post-8705-0-50011000-1449159687_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

TR 62 preserved at Nelson is Drewry 2243 of 1950.  It was renumbered as TR 275 under the computerised system (TMS) and withdrawn in 2/1988.  

It's not to be confused with TR 18 (Drewry 2085/1936) which was given TMS number 62 (and outlasted the later locomotive, being withdrawn in 5/1985).  This example is preserved on the Port Pleasant Railway.

Hi,

Glad you enjoyed your holiday over here. Nice pictures. Sad to see the condition of the "Flyer". Was down there way back in 2002 when it was running, and it looked spectacular with the mountain backdrops.

Cheers, Les

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed your holiday over here. Nice pictures. Sad to see the condition of the "Flyer". Was down there way back in 2002 when it was running, and it looked spectacular with the mountain backdrops.

I know exactly what you mean. Ab795 at Fairlight in 2002.

post-6959-0-57136000-1449188990.jpg

Cheers

David

• Like 6

TR 62 preserved at Nelson is Drewry 2243 of 1950.  It was renumbered as TR 275 under the computerised system (TMS) and withdrawn in 2/1988.  

It's not to be confused with TR 18 (Drewry 2085/1936) which was given TMS number 62 (and outlasted the later locomotive, being withdrawn in 5/1985).  This example is preserved on the Port Pleasant Railway.

Thanks, I though it had the look of a Drewry about it but didn't ask the question as the guys there were all busy replacing sleepers.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nzflyer

The reason for the lack of vandalism is probably owing to the remoteness of the actual Kingston Flyer railway. The TR class locomotives that Eddie mentioned above are a bit like British Class 01,02, 03 etc light diesel shunters. Whilst one is 'punked up' at Oamaru, the Kingston Flyer railway operate one to move stock and the two locomotives when they aren't in steam. I honestly think the AB class (of which the Kingston Flyer is one) is one of the best looking and hard working steam locomotive classes in the world. They were present all over the New Zealand railway system especially in the South Island, where they lived on long into the 1960s until replacement by DJ diesel locomotives (bit resembling Class 20s actually). Surviving DJs can be seen on the Taieri Gorge Railway in Dunedin. The ABs were a suitable choice for the Flyer, but I also saw some of the freight stock in the sidings there. It is my personal belief that when the ORIGINAL Kingston Flyer route past Fairlight all the way to Lumsden was pulled up, then the wagons were erroneously left behind. Some of them are far too modern for a vintage goods train service if they ever ran one, but who knows. Right now the Flyer is awaiting a buyer I believe.

• 1 month later...

There is a lesser known Sound close to Milford, less accessible but not nearly as busy/touristy, and by all accounts even more spectacular. Its name escapes me I'm afraid.

Doubtful Sound.

We're still in North Island but starting our travels down south next weekend. Trip on the Tranz Alpine from Christchurch to Greymouth is booked and hope to see some of the sights mentioned in earlier postings on the thread.

This was JA 4-8-2 no.1250 at the Glenbrook Vintage Railway last Sunday.

12642936_993098834080539_466532882022105

12642558_993097877413968_351068568825629

Edited by Leander
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

They would be about as useful as the RR Garratt at Paekakariki - far too big to fit NZ structure gauge.

I went there last Saturday Mike and was told that they're looking into cutting it down to fit the NZ Rail loading gauge. This would involve narrowing and lowering the cab and getting the wheels re-profiled to go through the NZ Rail turnouts. There are other priorities however so this isn't likely to happen soon!

post-214-0-07834300-1455258726_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leander