Poll for a re-tooled Hornby Class 92 and/or a new Hornby/Arnold Class 92

Multiple identity account

Would you like Hornby to re-tool their Class 92  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Hornby to drop their older Class 92 and re-tool one? Or would you like Hornby-Arnold to develop a brand new Class 92?

• Yes, I would.
    • I am happy with the current offering. (OO scale only)
  2. 2. What features would you like to see?

• 8-pin DCC Ready (OO gauge) or 6-pin DCC ready (N gauge)
    • Centrally mounted motor with twin fly-wheels
    • Highly detailed body with etched grills, Channel Tunnel logos and nameplates
    • Sprung-loaded plastic pantographs
    • Cab detail (OO scale only)
    • Independent working head and tail lights
    • Cab lighting (OO scale only)
    • Plastic or metal sprung buffers (OO scale only)
  3. 3. What liveries would you like to see?

4. 4. N scale (1:148) or OO scale (1:76)

Hey,

Anyone interested in a re-tooled Class 92 from Hornby or brand new model from Hornby-Arnold? Please do take the poll and if you like please do spread the word....
:)

I do understand that today there are many manufacturers for British OO and N scale models like Bachmann, Dapol, DJM, Graham Farish, Heljan, Rapido etc. But Hornby have done this loco already so they already have the plans with them and can probably work on it quicker. The Class 92 also shares much with the Class 60 (most of the model's internals can be shared with their own Class 60). So Hornby do have a upper hand slightly and if the poll does show interest then we can take it forward to Hornby who can delivery it quicker if they decide it's a viable option. 

We can also see if Hornby are interested in doing a shared kickstarter 
(that is to say a kickstarter that can possibly raise a certain percentage of the cost whilst Hornby fund the remaining). If this is not possible we can always approach the likes of Rapido, Revolution Trains or DJM. Please bear in mind that this poll also looks into the possibility of it being made in OO or N scales.

Cheers!!

Jeff.

PS: There is a poll also on for a re-tooled Class 91, Mk4s and Mk4 DVT that is started by fellow RMweb member - DaveClass47. So those interested in a Class 91, Mk4s and DVT can follow the link to his thread too.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96678-who-wants-a-newly-tooled-class-91/

Is your poll missing an 'EPS' livery option? The initial livery was really minimally different though between the RfD / SNCF / EPS examples

Personally, based on what Bachmann did with the Class 85, I'd prefer to see new AC electrics from them rather than Hornby. Some of Hornby's recent D+E models have been 'variable' in quality and I wouldn't sign up to a Kickstarter with them where I cant see the finished result before committing.

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the reminder for the EPS livery.... It's now added to the poll.

With respect to the second half of your post, no matter what you base it on Bachmann isn't the be all and end all of everything. Yes the do make great models, but if you actually take into account their models like the Class 66 and Class 70 they do tend to have no finer detail like sand-pipes etc. So Bachmann's standards also seem to vary. Both Hornby and Bachmann use amazing running mechanisms and the only thing I see is that Bachmann allow cab lighting and independent light control. This again is preferred by some and not by all. 

I don't see why we cannot urge Hornby to do so; I fail to see why almost everything on here is Bachman, Bachman, Bachmann...! Hornby can do just as good a job and probably even better when it comes to finer detail.

Hornby now seem to be moving in the right direction with their new management and things really do look positive. Hornby doing atleast one AC electric isn't a bad idea. Bachmann would probably try it only after 2-3 years from now after seeing the sales of their Class 90. So anything Bachmann is a long way off....

I am not going to judge Hornby because they haven't done an AC electric. I'll gladly support them in doing so and I am not going to be biased towards Bachmann for everything.

Cheers!
Jeff.

I'm not anti-Hornby at all, I believe in praise where its due and any criticism is always intended as being constructive and voicing my opinion with what I look for in purchases. I buy from and support all the manufacturers where the end product looks good and fits what I want and Bachmann aren't the be-all and end-all at all in just the same as Hornby aren't either. I was just referring to Bachmanns recent track record of a similar model where I really think they hit the nail on the head in terms of detail and price and based on that I've pre-ordered Class 90s. A kickstarter campaign isn't just about who wants what, it would rely pretty heavily on track record and confidence to deliver what the customers want.

I cant comment on Bachmann's 66s or 70s as I dont have any as they're not my thing ... my layout is very much a GM-free (and GE-free) zone!

When Hornby really try to pull out all the stops they possibly do produce more detailed models (although Bachmanns Blue Pullman would be an example that would be hard to fault and compare well in terms of detail) or Hornby certainly 'could' before production was shifted from SK, have we seen a high-spec diesel to judge since then?. But by its very nature, that fine detail can sometimes be a bit delicate and easy to break off if you actually want to use the models rather than leave them in a display cabinet. I want models I can run. Hornbys finest models also tend to have gimmicks too (opening cab doors, working fans) all of which bump the price up. Whats the current price for a new Class 50s, 56s and 60s? It must be nudging £150 now.

Hornby just dont seem to try as hard when it comes to D+E models - recently we've ended up with buffet interiors in Mk3 TGS's, Mk3 Buffet coaches missing their roof vents or newly-tooled Mk2s ending up with solebars!! They're getting the products out now but are they throwing them out? We're hardly talking about 'features' which are so small like sandpipes that they're hardly noticeable. Whichever pricing segment of the market they're aiming for, surely the basics should be right and those examples all fall in the 'basics' for me.

If it was a report card for Hornby, I suspect it would read 'definitely has potential, but room for improvement' .... and I do genuinely hope we see improvement.

• RMweb Premium

An updated '92' would be great and can't be far away, give it another 5-10 years and I'm sure that we'll have a decent number of AC electrics available to match the wide range of comparable quality-spec diesels on sale today. I think Bachmann or Hornby could take it on, I've no loyalty - just whomever can delivery an accurately shaped bodyshell with a great-running mechanism.

I think the most important thing would be the availability of a decent triple grey version - for over ten years Hornby been banging out EWS, DBSchenker, Stobart, GBRf and all manner of oddball one-off liveries to attract novelty sales, forgetting that the rest of the class wears the ageing but elegant bread-and-butter triple grey scheme - which were you more likely to see on the network in real life?

I think that there will be increased interest in the 92s when the Caledonian Sleepers are taken into account. So it really needs a commitment to produce the matching coaches as well.

Indeed... I really love the Caledonian one. One of my suggestions to Hornby is to always produce matching rolling-stock. They do but not all the time.

Jeff.

I don't want to see it upgraded, put in 'no', but then I have to fill in all the options I would like before my vote registers! If I don't want it, why bother?

Puzzled in Oz,

Peter C.

a fantastic idea. i would stock these no question. the class 92s i have ive had my mate put proper lights in them and sound and makes a big difference, Hornby need to sort this model out for the 21st century. 

Hi sawyermodels,

Thanks for that positive reply. Please do try and pass the word on....

Jeff.

PS: I'd rate your post LIKE, AGREE, SUPPORTIVE if I could... ;)

An updated '92' would be great and can't be far away, give it another 5-10 years and I'm sure that we'll have a decent number of AC electrics available to match the wide range of comparable quality-spec diesels on sale today. I think Bachmann or Hornby could take it on, I've no loyalty - just whomever can delivery an accurately shaped bodyshell with a great-running mechanism.

I think the most important thing would be the availability of a decent triple grey version - for over ten years Hornby been banging out EWS, DBSchenker, Stobart, GBRf and all manner of oddball one-off liveries to attract novelty sales, forgetting that the rest of the class wears the ageing but elegant bread-and-butter triple grey scheme - which were you more likely to see on the network in real life?

Hi James,

I'm sure a Class 92 isn't far off as you say.... I do love the triple grey livery. I have one query. Is the EPS and triple grey livery the same?

I don't want to see it upgraded, put in 'no', but then I have to fill in all the options I would like before my vote registers! If I don't want it, why bother?

Puzzled in Oz,

Peter C.

Hi 45568,

Please accept my apologies, not everyone is good at their first time tries at various things. This is the first time I've started a poll. Your suggestions noted and I have modified the poll slightly. However if you are not interested you can choose to just ignore the topic altogether.

Cheers!

Jeff.

Hornby need to stop putting all their energy into Steam locos and get some new tooled diesels out. The last new tooled model was the class 67 which was 3 years ago if memory serves me right. 

Steam 2014/15: D16, Drummond, K1, J15, Crosti 9F, J50, S15

Diesel 2014/15: Zero 

• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

I'm sure a Class 92 isn't far off as you say.... I do love the triple grey livery. I have one query. Is the EPS and triple grey livery the same?

Hi Jeff,

There were several different versions which all used the triple grey colours with different logos on top of the livery, usually to the cabsides below the number, be it SNCF, BR arrows etc. There were also a few in the revised Railfreight Distribution livery with large bodyside branding on top of the base triple grey.

Good choice of names as well, being a fairly young kid growing up with the new 92s it made you give a second glance to some cultural characters who you'd never normally have learnt much about until later in life!

@ sawyermodels
I agree with you fully. They have focused too much on steam. Thought the only diesel that appeared was the 4wDM Sentinel is 2013. Apart from that we got the 2-BIL and 2-HAL. But not a proper Bo-Bo or Co-Co diesel or electric locomotive. As of now a Class 71 is scheduled for 2016. I am hoping Hornby atleast do 2 AC electrics. The Class 92 and Class 91+DVT or Class 87. I always hoped they'd do the Class 90 but Hornby are slow to react.

@ James Makin
Thanks for that bit of info. Whilst I never had the opportunity to see these locos in real life, my grandfather who saw them decided to migrate later....I missed seeing the real thing, but seeing them in the Hornby magazines is very nostalgic. And I really hope Hornby does the Class 92. The Class 92's on the Wells Green TMD layout made me fall for them more.

2 whole days and only 13 replies to this topic, 5 from the originator. 

Not surprising Hornby are investing in steam.

That's a bit cruel, steam is easy as there are lots of people out there who can still remember it, Diesels have been pretty much covered off in the high detail modern mechs hence we now see lots of MUs as they've done most locos.

Electrics are hit and miss, but it's a catch 22, if you don't build them no one will buy them and if there aren't enough different variants again no one will buy. Both the 91 and the 92 are current locomotives, it's not as if someone is asking for the AC converted Gas turbine locomotive that was used to train drivers and test the Styal line. Even the government has accepted electrics are the future, why not Hornby & Bachmann.

I totally agree with Woodenhead,

Apparently I am a young modeller (long time since I would class myself as young) but steam isn't the be all and end all. WE need the maker to start building stuff like AC locos as well it's the recent past and the future and rumour has it the modelling scene won't last forever on just steam and diesels!

I would love to see a class 92 full stop come out in N gauge from Hornby / Arnold if that comes as part of a retooling I think that's all pluses for everyone the more they offer to everyone the more people are likely to model!

• RMweb Gold

If I tick the N-Gauge box, the poll still wants me to fill in the OO retool questions as well. I have no interest in a OO version, but by completing the Poll it would give the impression that I am. That doesn't serve anyone well..........

If I tick the N-Gauge box, the poll still wants me to fill in the OO retool questions as well. I have no interest in a OO version, but by completing the Poll it would give the impression that I am. That doesn't serve anyone well..........

Hi,

Sorry about that, my first time conducting a poll, it was originally meant for an OO gauge version. The N scale one is actually a later add-on. I will try modifying the poll accordingly.

Cheers!

J.

EDIT: I've modified the poll as best as I can, please accept my sincere apologies. It is my first time and it was supposed to be a OO gauge poll. I later threw in the N gauge option. I've however modified the poll as best as I can and changed the options as much as possible.

Hi- Just added my votes, sounds a good idea, we need new AC locos, of course the 92 can be DC as well which makes it more the better for a new model as wel, here's hoping that Hornby do produce one

NL

Thanks so much Nick.... A Class 92 is certainly a great loco. If Hornby are currently doing the Class 71. I'm sure a Class 92 will be a lovely choice. And indeed, since the Class 92 can run on 3rd-rail DC then it will still be a nice addition on many layouts.

Cheers!

J.

Archived