Coming soon.... Grain Wagon and a load of Halls

Andy Y

Here's a few snaps from yesterday showing items which will arrive in the not too distant future and will be reviewed in BRM soon.

20T Grain Wagons

jpg82.jpg

jpg83.jpg

Modified Hall - I love this livery!

jpg81.jpg

Hall - as included in Shakespeare Express boxed set.

jpg84.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Both are in my opinion and the finish/detail is worth any small price difference above the RR/full fat Hornby Hall.

Though interesting to see that what detail there is on the Hornby version is more finely rendered - compare the boiler bands for example. And Hornby's slidebars are nearer scale...................

It is good to see Bachmann has fitted driving wheels that look like GWR wheels with small boss (wheel centre). Those on the Hornby Hall would look more at home on an LNER locos with their large boss. Re Bachmann, I hardly need mention the steam pipes with daylight behind them, wire handrails on Tender and separate fitting for the ejector pipe that runs along the boiler behind the handrail. It is impossible to judge if the cab spectacle plate is slightly recessed. Unless it is a trick of shadow, the smokebox dart looks a bit moulded (easily replaced on any model). But as already mentioned, a shame there isnt a green version with large Collett Tender from either player....as yet.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy, but which version of the Hall tooling has been used for 4965? On the basis that Bachmann cancelled its "new" Hall following the mix up with the tooling for the new Modified Hall, is this the older tooling resurrected?

EDIT as used for 32-004 4970 Sketty Hall? http://www.ehattons.com/23491/Bachmann_Branchline_32_004_Class_4900_Hall_4970_Sketty_Hall_loco_Collett_tender_in_Great_Western_green_liv/StockDetail.aspx

Unless it is a trick of shadow, the smokebox dart looks a bit moulded (easily replaced on any model). 

The inner handle is moulded and the outer handle is separate.

What's the enormous lump on the second boiler band? I know Rood Ashton has appeared in preservation with a boiler band clamp bolt in that position, but I don't recall it being a widespread feature.

Enormous ha ha.  Get out the ripsaw.  A boiler band clamp appeared in this position on several Western Region 4-6-0's but by no mean all. It is a rather clumsy rendition but easily carved down or off. 

Very nice Hall... interesting that they've chosen 7903 in one of its pre-preserved incarnations - in later BR days (by which time it was in lined green) it ran with a Hawksworth tender, there are several published photos of it like this. Have a feeling there's at least one colour photo of it somewhere in the earlier  'Bachmann' BR guise too, probably one of Peter Gray's fine volumes on WR machinery.

Enormous ha ha.  Get out the ripsaw.  A boiler band clamp appeared in this position on several Western Region 4-6-0's but by no mean all. It is a rather clumsy rendition but easily carved down or off.

Yes, Larry, I'm aware that boiler band clips appeared in this position from time to time on many GWR engines, not just 4-6-0s but also 2-6-0s, 2-8-0s, large prairies, etc. My point was that the lump is far larger than any real clip and bears no resemblance to one. Those on top the firebox look rather better. I'm inclined to think that whoever drew the final CAD had no idea what they were trying to represent here, just as with those odd little dimples at front and rear of the boiler top which should be access holes to washout plugs. Similarly, the grossly exaggerated rounded edges to the washout plug holes on the side of the firebox. Of course some of these are easy to fix, but such errors shouldn't be there in there in the first place.

Nick

Wow, anyone saying that integrally moulded steam pipes look "OK" from "normal viewing angles" needs to look at Andy's photograph of Bachmann's Rood Ashton Hall.

I passed on the Shakespeare set since I really don't need those preserved coaches, but that Hall looks terrific. I'll have to relook at the Bachmann Halls I already have, and perhaps it's a tribute to Andy's photography, but (excepting a couple of observations above) it really looks nice.

(Perhaps my perspective here is a function all the photographs of the Hornby Railroad Halls we've seen lately.)

• RMweb Gold

Is purchasing the Shakespeare Train Set the only way I can get a new release Bachmann Hall (modified or otherwise) in GWR livery ..........even then I would have to change the tender decals?

When one considers the significant shade variation between between Bachmann  and Hornby GWR green would it be out of the question (for a non purist) to attempt to change the decals on a Green BR Modified Hall.........I guess a weathered version might obscure the lining difference?

• RMweb Gold

The grain wagon is pretty tasty, a rake of those will look good behind the J15, and probably cost about as much as the J15

Depends how long a rake you buy..........

I initially thought the joint lines looked a bit iffy but as the pic is over twice actual size, they'll be a lot less noticeable on the model.

John  

Should the front of the firebox actually look like this or is it a misaligned join?

post-1-0-45060800-1425386543%20firebox_z

It's a raised boiler band with a representation of a clip on top, more prominent than it should be if you refer to a prototype image but it is not a misaligned joint.

Wow, anyone saying that integrally moulded steam pipes look "OK" from "normal viewing angles" needs to look at Andy's photograph of Bachmann's Rood Ashton Hall.

I passed on the Shakespeare set since I really don't need those preserved coaches, but that Hall looks terrific. I'll have to relook at the Bachmann Halls I already have, and perhaps it's a tribute to Andy's photography, but (excepting a couple of observations above) it really looks nice.

(Perhaps my perspective here is a function all the photographs of the Hornby Railroad Halls we've seen lately.)

Whilst these do look fantastic and possibly better than previous Bachmann Hall releases (mold parting line along the top of the boiler not so obvious in these images as my current examples maybe?) these are superbly photographed in what looks like a studio environment with bright lighting and reflective surfaces to illuminate all the detail on the models from all angles. How many of us will actually be running these models in such an environment? Maybe someone modelling a very snowy scene with bright lighting? .... Not me anyway! Sat here now in front of me on my test track in normal lighting I can't tell the difference between the Bachmann separate steam pipes and the Hornby moulded version. I appreciate though that half the problem is just 'knowing' that the Hornby version is a compromise, even if you can't see it 99% of the time!

I still think that the RailRoad Hornby Hall, at normal selling prices sub-£70 offers very good value and acceptable compromises versus the Bachmann version (I have both) - not so the 'main range' Hornby version though!   

Edited just to add that the paint finish on these models (the Halls more than the wagons) appears to be a more matt finish than Bachmann normally use? More like the typical Hornby waxy finish we see these days?

Depends how long a rake you buy..........

I initially thought the joint lines looked a bit iffy but as the pic is over twice actual size, they'll be a lot less noticeable on the model.

John

I doubt it'll need to be a long one...

Archived