Finescale Review No 3

Sparta-rb

Hello again all

The third issue of Finescale Railway Modelling Review is at the printer and will be going out early next week.

The contents are another interesting, predominantly hands-on crop of articles, as follows:

Southwell Central - The Finale. John Sutton's remarkable 3mm 'life's work' layout is finished at last and it's all here.

'The Paxman Roar' shows how Andrew Gibson squeezed convincing sound equipment into a pair of 2mm scale Inter-City 125s.  

It may look like a chicken coop on wheels, but the ex-North Staffs battery electric loco is a hard-to-resist prototype. Alex Duckworth has built the High Level kit in final BR livery.

'As It Was' - our regular look at the real world back then - features advertising signage, both enamel and paper.

Airbrushing the Clean Way, by Mick Bonwick, is the ultimate guide to keeping airbrushes working as they should, unclogged and always ready to go.

For those who still like good old Romford wheels, Mick Nicholson demonstrates his simple jig for giving them split axles.

In the Finescale Archaeology department, Andrew Emmerson details the work of 2mm pioneers Reg Walkley and Jack Langridge, who were building tiny model locos and stock well over 80 years ago. The article also features Langridge's newly re-discovered original models, which still hold up amazingly well today.

We have another layout, too: Maurice Hopper's 'St Juliot', not just a beautiful small S scale layout but one designed to travel as hand baggage on public transport. It's even been on Eurostar's luggage rack...

Then there's Trade Shorts, Correspondence and news and jottings in Sundries.

As ever, we hope you enjoy it.

Regards

Bob Barlow

Yummy, yummy, I'm gong to replace the dog and from next Monday I will crouch behind the front door, waiting under the letter box. The postman will get a shock!   :jester:

Phil

Hi Mike

Finescale Review is essentially a direct subscription quarterly, like our other title Narrow Gauge & Industrial RM Review, but it is also available through selected public outlets and traders such as Bill Hudson Books, Ian Allan Bookshop, EDM Models, Tennents, Pendon Museum etc. Copies are also available singly through the website for those who want them.

Cheers

Bob 

• RMweb Premium

Got mine today. Another quality read as before. Diverse subjects which are thoughtfully written and inform and inspire in a way most other publications just can't seem to manage these days. What a pleasure this is.

My thanks to all concerend, long may it continue.

Izzy

Got mine today, nothing in my chosen scale, but we can't have everything.

The articles are well spread and well written, I've only browsed so far, while waiting for some emulsion to dry.

My only complaint would be: where is the layout PLAN for Southwell?

Three out of Three magazines with something inspirational in each and every one!  Keep up the good work!

Doesn't matter to me personally if there's anything in my chosen scale(s) or not, not when the articles are this good. 

MRJ will have to look to its laurels I think...............

• RMweb Premium

Got mine today, nothing in my chosen scale, but we can't have everything.

The articles are well spread and well written, I've only browsed so far, while waiting for some emulsion to dry.

My only complaint would be: where is the layout PLAN for Southwell?

A search for Southwell Central will get you to the 3mm site where there is a plan and more info/photos. I agree a plan would have helped with viewing the featured shots, but maybe the idea was to get the viewer to look at them as you would a real location. They certainly looked real to me.

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

Did someone tell you want I would like in this issue? Southwell, St Juliot, 2mm stuff, the airbrush piece looks interesting, split axles. I think this copy will be very well thumbed. Thanks

Don

Yummy, yummy, I'm gong to replace the dog and from next Monday I will crouch behind the front door, waiting under the letter box. The postman will get a shock!   :jester:

Phil

Got fed up with the draught from the letter box, so waited until I heard the postman coming and leapt at the door, hauled it open and went to grab the magazine from the postman. I forgot my dressing gown wasn't tied up, so the postman did get a shock!  :jester:

Oh, and I got the magazine - an excellent read. Thanks, editorial team, you're producing a very good magazine.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I like the article on cleaning airbrushes. Given that previously I had no idea what to do except pass thinners through from time to time.

Having attended a Great Missenden modellers weekend only last week and as part of the weekend I attended a short workshop by Mick Bonwick on airbrush cleaning means I can now scrap my notes made last weekend as its all in the article.

Pure coincidence last night Steve from Topp Trains Stafford did a basic loco weathering workshop at our Clubrooms for club members (Stafford Railway Circle) and airbrush cleaning was covered with Steve's cleaning methods followed the same procedures.

The magazine is worth it's cost just for this article alone.

Carry on the good work

Terry

Having attended a Great Missenden modellers weekend only last week and as part of the weekend I attended a short workshop by Mick Bonwick on airbrush cleaning means I can now scrap my notes made last weekend as its all in the article.

Snap, I also attended one of Mick's short sessions and now have the illustrated article to remind and refresh me. Perfect timing!

The Review also answered another Missenden related question for me. I was in Norman Soloman's track building workshop and noticed David Brandreth using a syringe to dispense flux. I intended to ask David about it but forgot and Lo, David answers the question on page 143. Marvellous. Five minutes later and eBay provided a source of appropriate syringe and needle.

Another good issue, Southwell just does it for me, the mundane railway captured to a T.

Southwell Central - The Finale. John Sutton's remarkable 3mm 'life's work' layout is finished at last and it's all here.

It has taken him long enough. What's he doing next? ;)

This sounds like a superb issue. I am very impressed with the magazine so far and this looks like being the best yet.

The article reveals all........

Sound even more interesting. I remember some of John's locos for Southwell in an article for the special edition of Model Railways for the 3mm Society's 21st Anniversary. It is their 50th this year. It says a lot about the standard of his modelling that the same layout is still worthy of magazine articles 29 years on. 

Just read it properly. An interesting read, very full of philosophical nuggets, but a bit light on any detail of construction etc, for a modelling mag.

Quite an eclectic mix, though, what with the GC in 3mm, BEL2 in 4mm, and how to maintain an airbrush in the first four articles........

Archived