To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

So, if my toy trams are 1/64 on OO track-what gauge ?

deeslexia

Hi mathmeticians- 

My motorised Corgi toy trams will run on OO track, so what gauge would that be?

Not important, just curious!!

Here is an open top tram with partial repaint, overlarge  transferst and home made card/net upper deck from a broken double decker.

Unlike the proper corgi open top trams, the fixing is the same as the double deck, with screws through the destination boards [as shown].

I am also making an open top canopy version by cutting up a fully enclosed tram.

This means that I can swap tops on the motor tram when I can afford it !

The single deck trams are a closed front LT with metal roof taken from the repainted Southend tram behind, which has gained a card roof with broken top added!

They need tidying, but I like the home made look.

dee

post-19753-0-70191200-1425459918.jpg

post-19753-0-45710000-1425460254.jpg

• RMweb Gold

It's actually very close to 3ft 6in gauge, which was used by a number of UK tram systems:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_foot_six_inch_gauge_railways_in_the_United_Kingdom

Pete

Agreed. So it's a bit of a pity that those Corgi trams are in London livery. But a decent base from which to model other systems. Some of the 3'6" gauge lines were very interesting.

Or the OP could model a tramway museum with trams running, as at Crich, on sleepered track. Sn3.5 track is available from Shinohara.

Dee,

1,067mm or 3' 6" gauge actually works out as 16.6mm in S scale. This is a common and convenient scale/gauge ratio for South African, Australian and New Zealand narrow gauge modelling in S scale, which employs HO (16.5mm) track and mechanical components. So your trams are near-enough running on 3' 6" gauge.

• RMweb Premium

Llandudno and Colwyn Bay would be a good subject for a tram layout.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llandudno_and_Colwyn_Bay_Electric_Railway

This was a 3' 6" gauge tramway that had street running, sea front service and its own right of way. It also operated almost every type of tram from toastracks to Blackpool style streamlined double deck trams.

Llandudno and Colwyn Bay would be a good subject for a tram layout.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llandudno_and_Colwyn_Bay_Electric_Railway

This was a 3' 6" gauge tramway that had street running, sea front service and its own right of way. It also operated almost every type of tram from toastracks to Blackpool style streamlined double deck trams.

I agree, it would be a good subject, and I'd like to see it modelled if only because I travelled on the last tram when the service closed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Please, please go for Northampton, because it had not only had what may well have been the first internal combustion locomotive in Britain, in 1883, but experimented with a tram powered by convicts pedalling. I promise, I did not make either of these things up; they are true!

Kevin

I have been looking for these 1:64 trams on line, but the ads just seem to describe them as 00 without specifying the scale. Can anyone give a link to evidence showing that they are actually built to 1:64?

I've always thought these Corgi trams looked more 1:64 scale than to 1:76. I carry an S scale human figure in my wallet for such comparison purposes and I concluded that these trams look just about right when stood next to my figure. The packaging always says "00", as you might expect, as they are designed to run on 16.5mm gauge track - in other words, almost perfect for 3ft 6in trams in S scale!

Anyway, I found this reference in an old posting by PLD from Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:53 pm, on the older RMweb site about the scale of these trams: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28115

"There are two distinct Corgi ranges which are different scales so don't mix... If you are talking about the Corgi Classics 4 wheeled 'Traditional Trams' be aware that these are approx 1:64th scale (S Scale) so are oversize compared to the Blackpool cars and the Felthams in the 'Original Omnibus' range which are 1:76 = 4mm/ft = OO Scale." 

I suggest you try the same trick of comparing the tram models with an S scale figure and decide yourself what scale they are or whether they are acceptable as 1:64 trams.

Archived