Couplings for TT gauge.

Multiple identity account

Hi,

I've been designing Indian Railway models for just over 6 months now and due to various gauges and loading gauges it's always been a bit of a gamble with compromises. I recently discovered that if I design my models in British TT scale then HO/OO gauge track is almost accurate. It's about 0.1mm narrower only.

However TT gauge has posed a new problem. I'd love to use Kadee knuckle couplers between all the rolling stock and I also want cosmetic 3-link chain couplers for the ends of DEMUs and MEMUs. So my questions are:-

- Is a regular HO scale Kadee knuckle coupler too big? Or can it work by just adjusting the trip pin?

- Where can I get TT scale 3-links? (Oh, before I forget, where are TT scale brass horns available?

Jeff.

• RMweb Gold

On my European TT stock I have used Microtrains N scsle couplers which are the N scale version of Kadees.

More recently I have been experimenting with the Dapol Easi Shunt couplers which plug into an N scsle NEM coupler box and have actually proved to be more reliable than the Microtrains N the TT stock (which is odd as they work fine on my US N scale).

Dapol also do the NEM box conversion packs so these may well be suitable for what you are doing.

• RMweb Gold

Jeff

Just one thing yo watch. The steel springs pop out very easily and are a real pain to get back in.

However I put a tiny bit of canopy glue / PVA on one end of the spring where it meets the jaw(too much and you will jam it up) when opening the packet of couplers and leave them to dry.

If the spring does become dislodged then it still stays in place at the other end and it's easy to just push the spring back in place.

Since doing this I haven't lost a single spring..

As for the 3-links, see a neighbouring thread, but basically Worsley do hooks, and winding your own wire links is easy enough. I haven't yet but will probably use this if I do have a go at 3mm scale as I am contemplating.

Also there are the clever magnetic screw couplings someone mentioned there, though I haven't tried them.

• RMweb Gold

Kadee do a H0n3 coupler which is smaller than the standard H0 couplers and has a shorter trip pin. This might work out better than an N gauge coupler.

The Dapol Easi Shunt are about the same size.

Also a few years back a tried assembling some of the HOn3 ones and couldnt get them to work properly despite ready fitted ones to HOn3 stock being fine!!

Thanks John..... That was useful. I do some browsing in the night.

Jeff.

You're welcome, here's a link for the magnetic ones. They're meant for 2mm scale I think, but may be in different sizes.

edit - the link didn't work, just google 'The MFK coupling' a German site, Schiffer design

• 1 month later...

I model Thai railways using 3mm scale and 9mm gauge track. I use Kadees meant for HOn3 scale and they look the part. The correct mounting height is 1mm higher than what Kadee specify for HOn3 (American narrow gauge seems to mount couplers quite low down) so a tweak of the trip pin is needed for reliable uncoupling, Either that or mount the couplers lower than they should be

Archived