Munich to Locarno over the Gotthard with 01 1066 & 01 202

jonhall

Envious.....er what do you think!

Excellent photographs, if only I'd have know it's something ive wanted to do for a long time now. Do you know of any more similar this year ?

Cheers

Grahame

There is apparently one more steam trip over the Gotthard in June before it goes ETRMS and no steam locos have the signalling, however I don't know if the Swiss loco owners are trying to get a fix - I imagine they are but this trip was billed as a 'last chance'.

This year is some anniversary for 01 Pacific's the Dresden meet at Easter has an 01 theme.

There is an all Germany tour later in the year that uses 9 different  01 Pacific's to do Nuremburg>Dresden>Berlin>Hamburg>Leipzig>Bielefeld>Darmstadt>Trier>Stuttgart>Nuremburg (plus some other places I've already forgotten) - run by IGE you can book through RTC in the UK :locomotive: I have already.

Jon

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Ae 4/7 is 10987. 50 3673 has a couple of tours based in Switzerland this spring, hence why it went on the front later on, and it should've worked to Lyss with 01 202.

Tour at the end of June with 01 202, 012 066, 50 3673 and 141 R 1244. http://www.ige-erlebnisreisen.de/schweiz/eisenbahntouristik-sonderzugreisen/Dampflok-Spektakel+am+Gotthard/35001

A few of my shots from the weekend, well worth chasing it.

The 01s on the empty stock move to Locarno on Friday morning

16787346111_b50201f686_c.jpgRiazzino by 5944, on Flickr

50 3673 at Giornico, about to climb the double spiral

16602347269_86f28165fe_c.jpgGiornico by 5944, on Flickr

And four minutes later, from the same spot!

16601115230_51da744b75_c.jpgUp High by 5944, on Flickr

An hour later, the 01s thundered past

16571451150_756af58b63_c.jpgGotthard by 5944, on Flickr

On the climb up to Airolo at Quinto, the 01s on the nearest line, with 50 3673 on the opposite line in the distance

16581196857_fb8f7db8d3_c.jpgWrong Line Running by 5944, on Flickr

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a tip that looks amazing!

There is apparently one more steam trip over the Gotthard in June before it goes ETRMS and no steam locos have the signalling, however I don't know if the Swiss loco owners are trying to get a fix - I imagine they are but this trip was billed as a 'last chance'.

Jon

Unfortunately, I doubt they can, ERTMS is a serious system that I cannot see being economic or practical to fit to steam locos. With the 158s in Wales fitted with ERTMS theyhave rebuilt the cab interiors and have fitted a cabinet elsewhere. There isn't really the space on old steamers to put it in from what I have gathered. How mainline steam will survive on the futue ERTMSified railway will be an interesting one.

• RMweb Gold

Wow, what a tip that looks amazing!

Unfortunately, I doubt they can, ERTMS is a serious system that I cannot see being economic or practical to fit to steam locos. With the 158s in Wales fitted with ERTMS theyhave rebuilt the cab interiors and have fitted a cabinet elsewhere. There isn't really the space on old steamers to put it in from what I have gathered. How mainline steam will survive on the futue ERTMSified railway will be an interesting one.

If my understanding remains correct it is not possible to fit ERTMS to a steam loco because, in addition to any physical fit troubles, the system has a requirement to cut-off power.  Relatively straightforward on more recent (and some older) electrics and diesels but quite how you make it close the regulator on a steam engine is a different job entirely  (but I wonder if it could be integrated with DB push-pull controls?)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

Rings a bell now you mention it, all in it does not look great for steam! I do think though that it is worth mentioning that if ERTMS fulfills its potential it will be a massive step forward for the whole industry and should not just be viewed in the light of killing off mainline steam.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...