The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

No one knows how many Hornby may make for the collector's club.

It doesn't bother me, as I'm not interested in having one but, in the past, such editions were normally flagged up as 1,200 and I have a couple of locos so labelled.

However, in recent times, quite a few standard releases only number 2,000 or 3,000 and the usual figure for special editions now appears to be 750.

The existence of a very attractive preserved prototype running on one of our more popular heritage railways can be expected to generate ongoing demand for a model of it, and it just seems perverse to me that Hornby would deny themselves those future sales opportunities in that way. I doubt they would do so with Flying Scotsman or Tornado, for instance.

Of course, so long as any future run had some tiny difference from the Special Edition that we don't yet know even exists, they could have their cake and eat it, and maybe that's what they have in mind. It's not been unknown in other fields for the only truly limited part of a limited edition to be the artwork on the box...........

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I wouldn't have thought a mere number change to a preserved loco would be enough incentive to join the collectors club. And that's coming from someone who visits The Bluebell 3-4 times a year. A wartime grey SECR livery however would tempt me.

Having said that, the cynic in me wonders whether by not producing enough full liveried SECR models to fill demand, doing the preserved loco means those who missed out on the main range model would be left with no choice but to join the club to get their hearts desire.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't have thought a mere number change to a preserved loco would be enough incentive to join the collectors club. And that's coming from someone who visits The Bluebell 3-4 times a year. A wartime grey SECR livery however would tempt me.

Having said that, the cynic in me wonders whether by not producing enough full liveried SECR models to fill demand, doing the preserved loco means those who missed out on the main range model would be left with no choice but to join the club to get their hearts desire.  

There are still quite a Main range models out there. Prices will probably drop once 263 arrives, to below 263's level. I doubt the main range model will be all gone in 2 days.

I mailed Hornby to ask if we people abroad can join the new club and it was a "details are still being figured out" reply.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hornby Magazine January 2018 issue says there would be a new engine shed on Friday 15 December. When nothing happened, I put a note on Hornby's Facebook page. I've had a response today, which says

"I'm sorry to say there has been some movement in The Engine Shed's dates. Unfortunately, this means that the blog will be missing December, but it will be back in the New Year with more exclusive news."

Passing this on for information.

John Storey

• RMweb Premium

All that expense too of the video of an American home atop a flower filled field with small children running down the slope carrying a large GWr 2-6-2 tank.

I suspect only those of a certain age are going to get that

• RMweb Premium

The Walton's?

Little house on the Prairie , I believe.

I would have thought the next Engine Shed will appear on 8th January, when it’s got something to report. Hopefully it will become more regular thereafter

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

Little house on the small prairie or the large prairie (not that I think H are interested in either).  

Try and imagine the Waltons, only a bit schmaltzier and more sugar coated; Little House On The Prairie was every bit as sickeningly cloying as it sounds!

• RMweb Gold

Hornby Magazine January 2018 issue says there would be a new engine shed on Friday 15 December. When nothing happened, I put a note on Hornby's Facebook page. I've had a response today, which says

"I'm sorry to say there has been some movement in The Engine Shed's dates. Unfortunately, this means that the blog will be missing December, but it will be back in the New Year with more exclusive news."

John Storey

D Notice served,no doubt.

• RMweb Gold

Little house on the small prairie or the large prairie (not that I think H are interested in either).  

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Try and imagine the Waltons, only a bit schmaltzier and more sugar coated; Little House On The Prairie was every bit as sickeningly cloying as it sounds!

• RMweb Gold

Little house on the Prairie , I believe.

I would have thought the next Engine Shed will appear on 8th January, when it’s got something to report. Hopefully it will become more regular thereafter

Part of the big appeal of The Engine Shed was that with its hints and announcements it kept up a drip feed of information rather than being a tool used with 'big bang' announcement dates - which would overshadow it in any case .  Alas I think the new order at Hornby seems to have lost that particular plot (and not yet come up with anything at all to replace it).  No wonder Dapol think they can charge in at odd dates with new product announcements - they're filling a hole in the marketplace and I bet they're cute enough to know while Hornby's new lot stumble along.

I wonder why The Engine Shed was cut back. Was there just not enough going on sometimes to fill a fortnightly blog? Perhaps it was taking up too much of someone’s time. Like a lot of people, I miss it. It would help a bit if I knew when it would appear. Perhaps every fourth Friday? Perhaps on a certain date each month? Not 29th. February, please!

• RMweb Premium

I agree that something odd is going on, reinforced by the bizzare business with the much vaunted announcement of the grand launch of the new Collectors Club and its exclusive model that was supposed to have happened at Warley and yet on the day, nothing.

The silence was deafening.

I agree that something odd is going on, reinforced by the bizzare business with the much vaunted announcement of the grand launch of the new Collectors Club and its exclusive model that was supposed to have happened at Warley and yet on the day, nothing.

The silence was deafening.

I was told by a retailer that its been scrapped. Something to do with the new ceo

• RMweb Premium

I do hope what we are seeing is a temporary blip and that the engine shed will continue. And continue as was, as a direct link between the development team and customers. One of the reasons it worked was the obvious passion and enthusiasm of the team and the fact it felt like real enthusiasts talking to other enthusiasts. Lose that and it loses what made it so nice.

• RMweb Premium

Not invented here syndrome in the new management team?

Certainly no perception of the value of the blog, or perhaps more significantly the rumours caused by its non appearance. I fully appreciate there is probably a massive review going on in Hornby at the moment, but I would have thought they would want to maintain the impression of business as usual until something better takes it place. Look on the bright side though , maybe the team that does it is so preoccupied with putting together a massive 2018 product launch.

• Like 7

John Storey

I must admit that I'm a little confused by the postings on here about the alleged demise of the Engine Shed.

John Storey's post clearly says that it has been postponed but it will be back in the New Year with more exclusive news.  This seems to be a perfectly reasonable explanation to me and I guess Hornby want to focus on the 2018 product launch, with a bigger engine shed announcement than usual in January.

I find it hard to believe that people jump to various conclusions and speculation just because one issue of the engine shed has been postponed.

• Like 1