The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

Thanks Andy,

Do we assume that the launches for both companies are simply documents you have been given. Rather than the proper presentation Hornby did at Warley in 2016.

I am sure the old way of handing over a document would be fine. But lacks the clarity, background thoughts of the presentation. Again I assume you might have had that from your recent visit to Bachmann, but don’t know about Hornby.

I doubt that there will be much by way of photographs at this stage but nothing beats Andy’s photographs when they appear. Nothing else comes close in inducing me to buy.

EDIT: Well, perhaps Hatton’s shots of Ps and Bs.

Edited by No Decorum
  • Like 1

That was my era of liking them as well. In the mid 1980s I thought they were very lacklustre and stopped buying them.

I think that it may have had something to do with the competition as well. That's the era when the "new boys" appeared (Mainline, Airfix, Lima) so maybe they upped their game a bit.

The Mainline catalogues were also outstanding. I particularly liked the way the Mainline catalogue showed you which locomotives went with which rolling stock.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Agree completely, especially re: Mainline catalogues.  With the dawn of the internet, you'd think that Hornby could produce something both artistic and informative and leave the standard images to their online catalogue.

Regardless,

Paul aka Intercity125

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think some of us would prefer the 11pm rather than the 10am. Many will be at work or school.

Having finished a night shift a couple of hours ago, for some of us, 10AM feels like 10PM anyway.

• RMweb Gold

The thing I hated about working nightshifts was the fact you used to finish and nothing was open.

Jason

Our local Tesco was/is on most days - I used to do my grocery shopping on the way home from work but some things were never on the shelves by 0600.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

The thing I hated about working nightshifts was the fact you used to finish and nothing was open.

Jason

For me its trying to get the body clock back to normal that I hate the most.

Going into nights on the other hand is easy - mind you I have always been more of an 'Owl' rather than a 'Lark' as far as temperament works.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jason

If you finished at 07.00 it wasn't so bad  in the past as many local newsagents and corner shops were opening around that sort of time so you could do some basic shopping on the way home if you needed to.  But even by the late 1970s it was already noticeable that many shops were opening later and dropping back to 09.00 from 08.00 - probably a reflection of the way working life was beginning to change.

Hopefully my post here at midday on Monday will give all of the key information in one hit; the headlines followed by the new liveries on existing items.

Andy, it was indeed very convenient. Much more so that the way Hornby had 'organized' it.

Thank you. 

Given the large number of mistakes spotted in the Hornby announcements thread, perhaps the next issue of The Engine Shed would be a good means of communicating these to Hornby before they get enshrined into printed catalogues.

I bet the catalogues have long since been printed. They will need to go through them all now with tippex!

Edited by JSpencer

I bet the catalogues have long since been printed. They will need to go through them all now with tippex!

It was in fact on the shelf at WH Smith Kings Cross today, with the other railway mags. I'll pick one up the next time it isn't raining!

While you're there, you could probably obtain the Tippex

The Nim.

Edited by Nimbus

It was in fact on the shelf at WH Smith Kings Cross today, with the other railway mags. I'll pick one up the next time it isn't raining!

While you're there, you could probably obtain the Tippex

The Nim.

Yeah, Hornby offers a free bottle of tippex with each catalogue, print off the online voucher now with the user guide on what pages need to be tippexed... Customers who brought their catalogues from model shops are free to return them if the tippexing has not already been applied as Hornby advised them to in their new T&Cs....

Edited by JSpencer